Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Medicine Hat , Alberta
Towing with Chrysler 300 AWD

Hi all, back on the subject of towing a 31' A/S with a 300 or Charger, I have read several posts about the legalities of towing over the tow rating, my question is are there any members that have had issues with being stopped and checked as well with the proper hitch (hensley) and modification to the mounted hitch on the tow vehicle is the vehicle considered legal to tow the 31' A/S?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, there is, and will be, a lot of debate on this subject. I don't think anyone will stop you and check your specs. But I do feel that after being in a fatal accident, all of these factory specs will be considered. [my opinion]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Best to ask your insurance company. I can't see them saying, Ya sure no problem tow what ever you like you don't need to worry about ratings.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

1963 26' Overlander
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Not only are you putting yourself and loved ones in danger you would be putting those around you on the road as well. Purchase a older truck and be safe please .
KathrynOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Your question isn't too clear. How does the Hensley enter into it again?

I have never had questions or issues, nor do I know anyone that has either. However, I don't know anyone with a Hensley.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Too few towing experts and lawyers and too many folks who think they are to get a correct answer here. This has been brought up in RV forums all over the internet and has never been resolved, but there are lots of opinions and arguments.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Never been stopped and checked if I am under my tow limit. But my rig "looks" normal.

In the US I do not think exceeding the manf tow rating is illegal in the sense that you will get a ticket for that alone. It is probably of great legal concern if in a lawsuit. Probably if a LEO wants to he can site you for unsafe operation or reckless driving based on his judgement and make it go to court. The chance of a judgement citation is probably true whether or not you are over or under some published tow limit that nobody can find for the exact model and that nobody knows how was derived in the first place.
Axle limits, tire limits possibly carry more weight in terms of getting a ticket that sticks.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
The concern I always come back to are high temperatures in the drive train when towing large trailers with sedans. I live in So Calif and we have to drive out of the basin which means 6 to 7% grades. Grapevine is a long grade and my trans temps with the factory tow package in our Tahoe and with a 20 foot climb pretty quick as well as coolant temps. I just would not be able to keep temps down enough to safely travel out of the L.A. area and back especially in the summers. So no matter tow hitch or modifications to a sedan, it just wouldn't work.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Medicine Hat , Alberta
Hi Bill, can I ask what tow vehicle are you using, as well what type of hitch?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Medicine Hat , Alberta
The hensley hitch insures that the tow vehicle and trailer become almost like one, very stable.

Are you towing with a Ford mini van?, how is the power and stability on the road?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Depending on the engine, Dodge recommends a towing weight of 1000 pounds maximum (when properly equipped) or "not recommended" for the Dodge Charger. Due to this low weight rating, I personally would not tow ANY Airstream with this vehicle.

Besides the obvious towing shortcomings of an inadequate braking system, drivetrain stress/overheating and probable early failure, one would very likely be dissatisfied with towing performance.

If you like Dodge vehicles, I am sure you can find one with the appropriate ratings that will make towing a safer, less stressful and (hopefully) more enjoyable experience.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Because you asked. I tow a 25' Excella and sometimes a 32' Excella with a 2500 Dodge diesel and a Reese Straight Line hitch. If I towed the 32' a lot I would probably get a Pro Pride for it. But I only tow it a few hundred miles a year. My wife drives the Dodge as her everyday ride and says she loves it. I mentioned getting a smaller car to drive for everyday use. She said fine, I hope you like it, I am not gonna drive it. So she drives the truck. It does have the heated leather seats and the pedals that adjust to her short stature. And she may be a little bit of a power lover.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I would consult with Andy Thomson at CanAm and tow with confidence if he set it up.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Never been stopped and checked if I am under my tow limit. But my rig "looks" normal.

In the US I do not think exceeding the manf tow rating is illegal in the sense that you will get a ticket for that alone. It is probably of great legal concern if in a lawsuit. Probably if a LEO wants to he can site you for unsafe operation or reckless driving based on his judgement and make it go to court. The chance of a judgement citation is probably true whether or not you are over or under some published tow limit that nobody can find for the exact model and that nobody knows how was derived in the first place.
Axle limits, tire limits possibly carry more weight in terms of getting a ticket that sticks.
I'd agree with pretty much all that Bill M says so I don't think that the OP needs to have any concerns regarding legality.

Manufacturers' tow ratings are such nebulous figures that would never stand up to any scrutiny in a court. Even the new SAE towing standards don't measure up because they cannot take account of any modifications you may make to your tow vehicle to improve its towing performance.

Where ratings are simple measures of force, such as a weight on an axle or tire then there might be some room for enforcement but tow ratings? No, not enforceable until someone documents exactly how said rating was both derived and tested.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Depending on the engine, Dodge recommends a towing weight of 1000 pounds maximum (when properly equipped) or "not recommended" for the Dodge Charger. Due to this low weight rating, I personally would not tow ANY Airstream with this vehicle.

Besides the obvious towing shortcomings of an inadequate braking system, drivetrain stress/overheating and probable early failure, one would very likely be dissatisfied with towing performance.

If you like Dodge vehicles, I am sure you can find one with the appropriate ratings that will make towing a safer, less stressful and (hopefully) more enjoyable experience.
The mistake you have made is a common one and many folks go down the same road.

The assumption of relating the tow rating with the vehicles ability to tow safely, handle well, stop, and travel in comfort has no merit.

There are many examples in the real world where folks are doing it and when the set up is right, it works.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
Hi all, back on the subject of towing a 31' A/S with a 300 or Charger, I have read several posts about the legalities of towing over the tow rating, my question is are there any members that have had issues with being stopped and checked as well with the proper hitch (hensley) and modification to the mounted hitch on the tow vehicle is the vehicle considered legal to tow the 31' A/S?
I've towed a 27' Overlander with a Volvo S60 for the past six years. I've towed at least 15 thousand miles in about 20 different states (in addition to about 10 thousand miles in five Canadian provinces), and never garnered more than a second glance from a police officer - including an Illinois trooper who clocked me with a lidar gun at 60 in a 50 mph zone but never bothered to come after me.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
I flew airplanes for a living and for about five years flew for a very large company with deep pockets and a whole building full of lawyers.

We had a flight department of 15 pilots, once a year we had to attend a lecture from the lawyers on the subject of liability specifically implied liability. We were taught to think about sitting on the witness stand after the accident and answering questions about things you'd never normally think of.

If I were you I'd consider what you'd say in the event the worse possible thing you can imagine happens. Perhaps the trailer breaking loose, the break-a-way switch not working and the trailer taking out a school bus full of pre-schoolers.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
Hi-
What is the specific reason you chose that vehicle?
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Medicine Hat , Alberta
Hi currently have a 2008 Suburban 2500 6.0L engine towing a 34' travel trailer, (with a Hensley hitch) and needless to say the Sub is very hard on gas when just used as an every day vehicle, so the Chrysler 300 would work well as an every day vehicle, I have read several posts on people towing with sedans, small vans, Suv's Etc, as well read Andys ( Can-Am RV) reports on sedans he has used and tested and the 300 comes highly recommended. I have never been a truck lover for several reasons, so we are hoping to make the switch to an A/S and smaller tow vehicle in the next year or so, hoping to here from owners using sedans to tow in order to make an informed decision.

Thanks all for your comments!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I don't think you can ignore the physics and engineering of a passenger car versus a pickup or other heavy duty vehicle designed for towing. I would not want to be driving a passenger car with brakes designed only to stop that vehicle alone, going down I-70 either way from the Eisenhower tunnel, and have the trailer brakes fail.

Similarly, one can't ignore the difference in size of the roller bearings in the u-joints of a pickup truck, versus those in a passenger car. Towing an Airstream that weighs 8,000-10,000 pounds (sorry, I don't know the exact weight of a 31-foot Airstream) undoubtedly puts more stress than was intended on the passenger car u-joints. The same applies to the engine and transmission.

I would ask your Dodge dealer if your new car warranty will be honored if you have problems caused by towing your Airstream.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote