Old 01-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Wow, that's interesting. Bet you had to do a lot to get the sheet metal to attach? I'm thinking of a Mopar, but have heard things about the unibody and distributing the weight from the hitch properly. I was thinking of a 63- 68 Chrysler, or maybe a 67 or later Dart convertible or Coronet.

Love the Pontiac wagon

P

Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Actually the sheet metal wasn't that big a deal. Lobbed the frame horns off the old frame and re-attached them to the new one so the bumper mounts were correct and a bit of trimming of the inner fender housings to fit the A-arms, new motor mounts and that was it.

I saw a lot of sixties Mopar products pulling big trailers, including Airstreams, all through the sixties, seventies and into the eighties when trucks really got up to speed with luxury items, and people were more willing to use a truck as a primary vehicle. Convertibles do have a stronger frame to accommodate the flex with the roof and lots of folks continue to use them for towing. I don't have any knowledge about unibody construction and towing but I do know there are lots of folks both pro and against it for various reasons. I had a custom built hitch done for my Pontiac to make sure the weight was evenly distributed and it has worked extremely well.

Good luck with your pursuit of a vintage TV.

Barry

Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
I remember seeing the cover of one of the past WBCII directories. They had a 34' triple being towed by a Ford Expedition. That is a bit too little of a tow vehicle for me. We had an Expedition that had a 4.6L engine and towing a 25' SOB scared me. I know that the biggest engine in that year was a 5.4L.

For our TV, overkill suits me just fine.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I'm revisiting this since I bought a vintage car,not necessarily for towing. The picture with the Nissan SUV and the big trailer- I wonder about towing with an SUV because of the high center of gravity. If you have to maneuver quickly, they can be really tippy, I know, we have an old Jeep and Explorer. So, you have the road hugging weight, but the deficient handling is a tradeoff?

Peter
Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64
I'm revisiting this since I bought a vintage car,not necessarily for towing. The picture with the Nissan SUV and the big trailer- I wonder about towing with an SUV because of the high center of gravity. If you have to maneuver quickly, they can be really tippy, I know, we have an old Jeep and Explorer. So, you have the road hugging weight, but the deficient handling is a tradeoff?
Well, here's a shot of our previous rig...

Frankly, I don't like driving my Yukon on the highway when empty -- high centre of gravity and short wheelbase does make it a little too squirrely for my taste. But when hitch up to a TT, it behaves much more sure-footedly -- probably has something to do with towing 100% of its GVWR! I knew SUV's don't make the best tow vehicles, but they do have their benefits -- like 7 passenger seating, nice ride and they look cool (much better than a PU truck!)
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Makes you wonder why anyone would ever try to tow a trailer with a bicycle...??? Hmmm...now where have I seen that picture before?

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Get a suburban and all your troubles will be over. Wonderful tv as well as a GREAT daily driver. The longer wheel base makes the 'burb the king of the road.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64
Wow, that's interesting. Bet you had to do a lot to get the sheet metal to attach? I'm thinking of a Mopar, but have heard things about the unibody and distributing the weight from the hitch properly. I was thinking of a 63- 68 Chrysler, or maybe a 67 or later Dart convertible or Coronet.
P
Imperial had full frame and the strongest construction of all cars built through 1966. Unibody is struturally preferable for towing, and the hitch attachments are very straightforward. Full size Dodge/Plymouth was the king of police fleets in the 1960's-1970's because the drivetrain and chassis were superior to anything from Ford or GM in that period.

Mark Olson (turbinecar.com?) once had a diagram on the factory hitch online, drop him a message after reading about the Chrysler turbine car his family had.

We (extended family) had Chryslers pulling 6-8,000-lb trailers (Streamline and Silver Streak) across US, Canada and Mexico in that period. Best tow motors are the 413-4V and 440-4V ahead of the B727 TorqueFlite transmission with 3.23 gears with limited slip differential. A vacuum-secondary, spread-bore carb and electronic ignition will do the job very sweetly. A 1965 or later full-size Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth can be refitted with single caliper disc brakes from any 1971 or later full size through 1978.

Better steering and suspension pieces can be had from FIRM FEEL. 1.02" torsion bars would be ideal on the 122" or 124" wheelbase cars under a BB with AC, and new leaf springs from EATON DETROIT Spring will work well. There are still some NOS Koni shocks out there.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
tow car

I'll check out the turbine car page, those were beautiful machines. I don't think I'd ever get a Surburban for a daily driver- That is served by a Honda Fit and a Honda S2000. I like the Fit's 38 mpg and it handles the mountain roads here well.

I just filled the Dart with Super, at 3.96 a gallon.

Peter
Old 11-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
TV update

well, the TV Ranger in the picture blew a head gasket and cracked the head. We got a great deal on a Tundra semi-extra cab. The ride doesn't match the Ridgeline by a long shot, but it should be beefy enough for the AS. NOW, I'm thinking of lightening the weight of the AS down to the point the Dart could tow it. New front discs, a tranny cooler etc etc and maybe it's possible. I'm thinking of, like, not replacing the fridge and removing the oven and bath. The cabinets are sort of water damaged. Also, removing the bath, since we are both a little grossed out by having the bath so, uh, centrally located. Then, we could have a bigger bed in the back. Just a thought.

Happy sailing, Peter
Old 11-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Towing With an Undersized Vehicle

Greetings Peter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
well, the TV Ranger in the picture blew a head gasket and cracked the head. We got a great deal on a Tundra semi-extra cab. The ride doesn't match the Ridgeline by a long shot, but it should be beefy enough for the AS. NOW, I'm thinking of lightening the weight of the AS down to the point the Dart could tow it. New front discs, a tranny cooler etc etc and maybe it's possible. I'm thinking of, like, not replacing the fridge and removing the oven and bath.
I didn't notice the vintage of the Dart that you have, but depending upon the vintage and optional equipment you may not have to make any particular weight related modifications to your Globetrotter.

For instance, if your Dart is the 1960 through 1961 model with any of the big block V8s, you shouldn't have any particular weight related worries with the Dart:

or the 1962 model, again with any of the big block V8s:

If, on the other hand, you are working with the 1963 through 1964 with the slant 6 as the only available motor, you are likely on the right tract with weight reduction on your Globetrotter:

The 1964 through 1966 Dodge Dart GT with the optional 273 HO V8 would likely be a possibility with your Globetrotter with minimal weight reducing measures:

The 1967 through 1969 with any of the V8 motor options should be a possibility with little need for weight modifications on your Globetrotter:

as would the 1970 through 1972 models with the V8 motor:

as would the 1973 through 1976 with any of the available V8 motor options:

I am a fan of the post '64 Dart and nearly any of the Corone series cars. My favorite tow vehicle is my '65 Dodge Coronet 500 convertible that has served towcar duties since 1979 -- it has no problems with my Minuet, and tows the Overlander without difficulties, but I am not particularly comfortable with the Overlander combination -- the photo below is with the first trailer that my Coronet towed:

My coronet has the optional HP 383 (335 horse power) teamed up with the 727 Torqueflyte transmission, heavy duty radiator and alternator, and 3.23 limited slip differential. It is currently is in dry storage awaiting new paint and a disc brake conversion before it can again be used for towing.

Good luck with your Dart!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
QUOTE:Towing With an Undersized Vehicle

They picked the wrong car!

http://video.kenblockracing.com/flas...FFF&autoplay=0
Old 11-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #27
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Nice video. I wonder how many miles they get out of a set of tires doing that.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
68 Dart

Hey

my Dart is like the red convertible shown above, but without the stripe, and I think that one is a '69 and mine is a '68. I have the 318 V8 and automatic, PS but NP drum brakes. I want to update the brakes anyway, and I have a heavy duty cooling system. I looked for a late '60s Coronet convertible, but didn't find any that I liked. The Dart is a great size, not too huge to use regularly. I had had a 383 Newport in high school, but I couldn't face mileage like that again!