Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Towing with an F-150

My tow vehicle is a 2004 F-150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4L Triton V8, 3.73 axle and factory installed tow package. I plan to be towing the Safari 25' SS LE that I'll be getting in the beginning of the summer.

Depending on where I look I've seen my truck rated from 7300 to 8700 GVWR so I'm not sure exactly where I stand. Both the Ford dealership and the AS dealer assure me that I'll be OK. Yes, I know I'd be a little better off with the F-250 but that's not an option and won't be for a long time.

I'd like to hear from others who tow with the F-150. What are your experiences towing with the F-150? What precautions should I take? What, if any, problems have you had?

I'm not looking for recommendations on which TV is best. This is all about the F-150. Thanks.

Jim
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
F 150 Tv

I agree with your Ford Dealer and Airstream, I pull my 31' with a F350 4x4 Powerstroke. There was a poll thread on what type of tow rig you have, I do not remember for sure on the stats but it was like 60% or 65% pull with a half ton truck. I would not be afraid to pull it with your truck, just buy a good weight distribution and sway control setup and you will do just fine and also with your gears I would not tow in over drive.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I was pulling my 1975 Sovereign 31' with our F150 4.6L with factory towing package. My GVW on the AS is 7200#(actual weight is in the low 6000# range) the truck was rated to tow 6700#. It does just fine pulling the AS on flat ground. I had no problems maintaining highway speeds between my home and Myrtle Beach, SC. There is no way I would have even thought about towing in the mountains with that rig. I would reccomend a transmisson temperature gauge and possibly a larger tranny cooler.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
F150 Tv

I agree with wahoonc,trany temp gauge and cooler is a very wise choice although there are trany kits that that you can buy that will give you better prformance to pull grades with 3.73 gears ask your Ford dealer about this option its cheeper than buying a new truck.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
although I do not own a F150, 2 of my friends do. They both have the 5.4l engine. It feels very powerful to me. More so than my 5.7l Chevrolet.
My point is that I towed a 6000lbs ( fully loaded) 25ft trailer all over the place with the Suburban, and only wished for more torque at extreme altitudes, like crossing the Rockies from NM to CO.
I do believe that you will be well on your way with what you have.
I would consult the owner's manual, and perhaps a mechanic at Ford for advice on whether to tow in OD, and what you can do to make it easy on your truck.
A transmission cooler, and oil cooler definitely help. A transmission temperature gauge is recommended by many.
My secret weapon is slowing down, and manually shifting down when I feel the truck straining to keep it's speed without the trans shifting up and down. I can do 50mph up most grades, usually have to slow down more for the 18 wheelers. I just latch onto one of them and take my time up the long grades out West, where I usually tow.
If you must tow in the mountains a lot, then you will find your tow vehicle unsatisfactory, most likely.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Look here: http://www.fordvehicles.com/towing/pdf/reference.pdf. The F150 with the 5.4 L engine, 3.73 gears, and an automatic tranny will vary from GCWR of 13,500 to 15,000, and allows for a maximum loaded trailer weight ranging from 7,300 to 9,800 (varies based on 4X4 or 4X2, cab style, and wheel size). Many people advise staying at or below 80% of this rating. A late model Safari 25 will have a GVWR of 6,300, but the new ones are rated at 7,500. Because the low end of the F150 ratings is below this, you will need to look over the Ford chart carefully.

For example: My 2005 F150 is rated to tow 8,700 lbs, and my 2003 Safari 25's GVWR is 6,300. I just bought the truck two months ago, and my trailer is in storage intil April, so I have not had an opportunity to tow yet. I previously towed with a 2002 Ford Explorer V8 that was rated to tow 7,000 lbs, and it worked okay. The F150 should be much better.

In any case, ensure that you do not exceed the trucks GVWR (including the hitch and tongue weight) or GCWR, nor the trailer's GVWR.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hiya Jim -- I sold a 1/2-ton truck this last week because over the broad country, up hill and dale, it is pushing the tow equation to the max with a new (ie, heavier) 25' Safari of any type. My travel plans would actually have allowed me to keep the last TV for the next season, but opportunities came along that I couldn't pass up. I disagree with ever using GCWR and tow capacity for much of anything.

It's easier transitioning tow vehicles than trailers (especially new trailers!). I sure wouldn't be buying an F-150 to start towing any recent 25' Safari. Be careful and you will probably manage if you keep your travel plans modest and begin thinking a couple years out for the TV that will take you to Crater Lake or the Miramichi.

For the real deal, look at the bottom of http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/features/specs/ -- it lists maximum payloads for your truck that vary from approx 1500# up to 1900#. Just be sure to keep people, gear/options on the truck, and tongue weight below that. Then I fully agree with all the previous advisories. My old 5.4L engine was a heckuva horse. Be careful with tranny temps (get a gauge, cooler, etc).

Read your manual -- I have no doubts it cautions against towing in overdrive. Keep the speeds below 65mph. You'll find 60 is actually a good speed at which to see the country. Many (myself included) find their sharpness erode if they plan on anything over 300 mile in a day. Enjoy your fabulous, marvelous new SS. BTW -- is "beginning of summer" the lead time for ordering from the factory right now?

Good choice in Airstream -- share your experiences and become a regular on the most endorphin-producing* website on the bitstream!! Thanks for joining.

*What? No comments on what must pass for entertainment in my life? See Jim -- what a good group of folks!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I towed a 25' Tradewind with a 2000 F-150 4.6 and had no problems. Granted, I drive slowly and enjoy the scenery but the truck always did what I needed it to do. Get a good hitch and sway bar and have it installed by someone who is knowledgeable and willing to make sure it is correct.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Smile

Hi:
I towed my 31 ft Soveriegn with a 99 F150 Heavy Half. It had a 4.6 and manual transmission with O/D. It worked OK but was real slow on hills.
I sure wished I had the larger engine. I live on the prairies so hills aren't much of an issue.
Your truck manual tells you not to tow in O/D I believe.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

The general consensus here is that the F150 is OK but will have real limitations. I had a 1999 F150 with 5.4L and 3.73 pulling a 25Ft CCD. Did OK on the flats but did not like OD. Even slight inclines with empty trailer caused the tranny to hunt. I was trying to maintain 60mph. Keeping it out of OD will really burn some gas. Not adequate for hills or mountains. Glad I traded up to a Silverado 2500 with DuraMax/Allison combo. Even this setup would slow on the inclines climbing through Colorado.
goldwing70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:41 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Hiya Jim -- I sold a 1/2-ton truck this last week because over the broad country, up hill and dale, it is pushing the tow equation to the max with a new (ie, heavier) 25' Safari of any type.
Way to go Bob!
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

I agree with all the comments on the F-150. Not much more I could add.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Many thanks!!

I really want to thank everyone for the information. I knew there would be folks here that would be able to help me out. I appreciate it!

It looks like I'll be OK. The Triton 5.4L engine is what's going to make it work. I'll be better off when I can go bigger, but in the meantime I can still tow it if I use extra care and plan routes that aren't so steep (hard to do living in the Rockies.)

Since my towing experience is limited to pulling my Radio Flyer back in the 1950s I'm facing quite a challange. Something tells me that I'll get through it.

Thanks again
Jim
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #13

2006 34' Classic Slideout
San Clemente , California
I had a 2004 F-150 FX4 with the 5.4. I towed a 25’ 2005 CCD across the county two times. Not one issue and had plenty of power. I passed everything on the road. I averaged 10mpg at 65mph. You have plenty of truck so no worries needed. I dont think you are limited or need an upgrade at all. I just upgraded my truck to a F250 6.0l due to the fact that I upgraded my trailer to a 2006 34’ Classic with the slide out.
sbrou14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome to the Forums sbrou14 -- many happy returns! Having had and sold a Nissan Titan I will be the first to agree that the power train may show no signs of strain with a 25-footer (newer ones being heavier than 15 or more years ago...).

A 25' CCD Hitch Weight w/o options or variable weight (variable weight must add weights of propane and installation of WD equipment, both of which mostly add to hitch weight) is listed at 740#. Options? Was there a spare tire?? It doesn't take much personal gear aboard before hitch weight pushes well beyond 900#. (Top of the head calculation; admittedly doesn't include actual weighing.)

Looking at the very bottom of Ford Trucks website lists payload capacities of an F-150. Add all options you put on the truck, topper, load in the box, passengers and hitch weight. Do not exceed the truck load capacity or one is asking for safety, liability and durability problems. At least the website does offer some viable options on model and capacity.

That being the starting conditions, I wouldn't want to stick my neck out and advise one and all to load up and go with a combination pairing up an F-150 and a recent 25' offering from Airstream. Any reader should do their own math, then accept load limits or throw caution to the wind as they might wish.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
A 2005 F150 crewcab with 5.4 liter, automatic transmission, 4X4, 3.73 axle ratio... the tow rating is 9,200 lbs.

A 2005 F250 crewcab with 5.4 liter, automatic transmission, 4X4, 3.73 axle ratio... the tow rating is 9,100 lbs. The F250 can go much higher, but you must go to 4.10 gears to get 11,100 lbs, or move up to a V10 or diesel to go beyond this.

The F150 with 300 hp will do just fine for a 25 foot trailer!
Old 02-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
A 2005 F150 crewcab with 5.4 liter, automatic transmission, 4X4, 3.73 axle ratio... the tow rating is 9,200 lbs.

A 2005 F250 crewcab with 5.4 liter, automatic transmission, 4X4, 3.73 axle ratio... the tow rating is 9,100 lbs. The F250 can go much higher, but you must go to 4.10 gears to get 11,100 lbs, or move up to a V10 or diesel to go beyond this.

The F150 with 300 hp will do just fine for a 25 foot trailer!
Not sure about Fords, but in GM land typically going from 1500 to 2500 (150 vs 250) gets you an upgraded trans, rear diff and brakes too.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Towed our 24ft Argosy with our 2000 F-150, 5.4l Triton V8 with no problems at all. I must say that my husband does not believe in going slower just because you're pulling a trailer (I do not agree). However, we have had no trouble and this Ford has over 200k miles on it. I bought a new Tundra V8 with the towing package and I pull at about 60MPH, out of overdrive, and I love this truck. I'm not, however, sure it pulls any better than the Ford, but it's a step-side and a great looking truck.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Unhappy Tow Capacity brouhaha-ha-ha-ha

Pardon me if I use current website numbers -- I no longer own the vehicle nor have its manual. Until January 31st, I owned a 2004 Nissan Titan LE King Cab 4x4 with a "Tow Capacity" of 9200#. Sounds awesome. I must admit that the engine had all the brawn and combined with that low-geared 5 speed I could have pulled the Titanic to shore. I bought the Titan for my sub-4000# Argosy and it worked admirably. For 2000 miles of pulling my 5500# of Safari last fall it felt "like it wasn't back there." I believe you could literally say the same about a similar engined F-150.

Let's create an example of me pulling the Titan's full 9200# tow capacity load. This is a fictitious trailer and for example's sake I am not speaking about my current Safari. This 9200# represents the final weight of trailer and optional load. A significant amount of that optional load is full propane cylinders, weight distributing gear and a spare tire at the tongue -- thus I will presume tongue weight is not on the light side of the normal 10-15% range. I will charitably presume 1150# of hitch weight with my presumed 9200# load.

What else adds or subtracts to the permitted pounds I could carry on my Titan (per manufacturer's specs)? The 4x4 package and hitch receiver were features of my trim line and already figured into limitations on my load capacity (the XE & SE trim lines don't have a hitch receiver!). Like buying pants, I didn't buy the Titan with the idea of losing a little weight. So honestly, the two people and two dogs aboard are about 400# (she's a large 70# airedale). Do I get a truck cap if it's filled with helium? (200#). My canoe is a kevlar Wenonah and weighs 42#. My Honda eu2000i generator is 46#. Adding up, the above load (in red) is TOTAL: 1838#. I am leaving out many things I carry aboard even if out for a short weekend. No paddles, no Yakima rack for the trailer -- this is conservative for illustration's sake.

At www.nissanusa.com it lists the Load Capacity for the truck I owned at 1259#. So which do you like better -- the fact that I am within specs on towing at the 9200# Tow capacity or the fact that I am overloading the structure, suspension and maneuverability by about 600 pounds?!?!?!

If I looked at my true use patterns I believe I would have to be very careful with all but the highest Load Capacity F-150 and a new Airstream 25' (current models being heavier than 10-20 years ago). More than half of the F-150s on the http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/features/specs/ would be over T.V. Load Capacity with a new 25' 'Stream and modest loads in the tow vehicle.

I will say it again and I will say it better this time. If we were to send somebody out to pay hard cash to purchase a new F-150 and leave it at that, they would have a better than two in three chance of coming back with a truck unsuited to the task -- if that task is loading up like most of us do when we hit the road. I can't hide behind Eddie Arcaro when he turns sideways so I'd better do the numbers if I want space for me on board!

My advice? Consider tow capacity and GCWR to be secondary numbers. Tow capacity especially has more to do with the advertising department than everyday use! If you keep the T.V. within its onboard load capacity I will nearly guarantee that you will never come near the hoo-haa'd tow capacity. Have an accident at "over load capacity" and imagine what notice your insurance company would make of that -- BTW, I hope you and your family ride in the best of health in all eventualities.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #19
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Canoe stream You new that I would respond on this one, just want to know whitch F150 pakage are you compairing to. Because when I went to check out your Nissan Titan I can not find any specs on there site the only thing I could find was that it could tow UP TO 9500 POUNDS.. You also had a manual trans and what gear ratio did you have, I mean lets be practical about this. The Ford F150 with auto trans and 3.73 gears and pending on wheel size has a tow rateing form 9100, 9200,9400. Then if you have 4.11 gears its 9500, oh and then there's inch wheel base to take into account. All I'm saying is lets keep it practical anybody can throw numbers together, your senareo is'nt even practical, and please do not take this the wrong way, I like a good debate now and then..
Old 02-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bob is a convert....he's done with his Nissan and towing with one too....he's a 2006 Duramax man now.

Personally in most cases (not all), I'd take the 5.4L F150 (loathing Fords as I do) over a Nissan every day of the week and 2x on sunday for anything over 19' long....and not because it's a foreign vs domestic thing either...as you pointed out, the Nissan site and offering, though a nice truck, to get to 9000+lbs, it's mostly smoke and mirrors.