Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #61
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by handywaynef View Post
Hi i am looking for a airstream travel trailer that tows best with a 1995 ford F-150 eddie bower 4x4 automatic 5.0 302 EFI paxton supercharger,with a quad shock system bilsten shocks, firestone ride right system, dynomax exhaust system, michelin tires, what size is best i am thinking of something in the 70-80 for the year of airstream. undecide on model or length? I am think of partime living in it with my wife were both 5'10 and a australian cattle dog 42 pounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to airforums.com, handymanwaynef!

If you have read much on the forum, you may have already noticed that which tow vehicle can tow which trailer is a popular subject. So popular in fact, that one finds a lot of posts that completley disagree with each other on what makes a good match.

I will suggest to you that with the F150 you have, you could pull any trailer that Airstream made in the time period you are looking at. If you look at the trailer weights page, you will find that the 1970s Airstream were generally lighter than the 1980 models, but for the most part, only the 34' models were a -lot- more.

You will find though, that it is important that the hitch set-up is appropriate to your trailer and tow vehicle, and that it is vitally important that it is well set up.

In your place, I would concentrate more on what size and style or trailer you want for your projected use, since in my humble opinion, you have enough tow vehicle to not have to worry about that aspect.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charleston , South Carolina
All of these are helpful for me, since I have neither the TV or the AS yet but plan to get both this year (the year of my retirement). My plan right now is to ge an AS Bambi. Is the difference between the Safari, International, and Flying Cloud simply the trim/decor? I'll be living in the trailer full time for a year. I don't think I want a "sport" because they seem to have a bed I'd have to fold out nightly. Thus I want the dinette and bed already separate. I don't think I can handle anything larger than 19'. Any suggestions beyond the Bambi? (I will be on my own).
As for the truck: I've been thinking about the F150, perhaps a 2006 or newer. I notice that the 2009s seem to make a big jump in the GVWR. However buying even a used airstrem and a brand new truck may be a bigger chunk of my cash than I might want. Thus I'm thinking of buying the truck now, making payments. But I don't know what to shop for. Is the F150 with a larger engine the way to go, or do you have other vehicles that are good towers for a 19' to suggest I look at. If so, I'd appreciate knowing about them. I'm not dead-set on a Ford; it's just that with the GM and Chrysler products, I don't know about the next 5 years and those companies. (Right now I drive a 92 Toyota Tercel, so I'm used to small cars). The Ford site has such good comparison videos, though, that the Ford is what I'm thinking about. I'm wide open for your valuable suggestions, though. As I say, it'll just be me, and if I do any boondocking it won't be too rough, so I don't think I need things that will get me up unpaved mountain roads or snow-covered ski-slopes. Thanks for this good forum.
poems&songs is offline   Reply With Quote