Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 01:17 AM   #1
TDH

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Ojai , California
Towing with an Audi Q5 3.0L TDI

I have read on-line that others have towed an Airstream 19' Flying Cloud with an Audi Q5 3.0L TDI. The Audi diesel has the torque to pull the trailer, and it is rated to tow 4400 lbs. The Flying Cloud is 3850 lbs. dry. Now, I realize that the tongue weight on my Flying Cloud is around 550lbs. I figure that I can lighten the tongue by removing the 2-6 gallon propane tanks and replacing them w/ lighter/smaller tanks. My thoughts are that perhaps the Audi A5 wheelbase is too short? With a factory hitch, what do people think?
TDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
call canam in london, ON.
http://www.canamrv.ca/contact-us/

they can help and solve this issue

vehicle numbers are VERY conservative

they pull larger trailers with a jeta all the time , even from the factory
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You won’t need to start changing things to meet a number that is advisory-only. A guideline.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
TDH

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Ojai , California
Towing w/ an Audi Q5 TDI

I did call Can-Am. They were very helpful and referred me to PRC Fabrication in Monclair, CA. They state that they can do a modification which will increase the towing tongue weight capacity. From what I can glean so far on the Forum, it's not the pulling that is often the challenge, but the pushing effect going down steeper grades that can be hazardous. And I get that. My greatest concern is the tongue weight. Can I safely lighten the tongue on my 19' Flying Cloud by removing the 6 gallon propane tanks and replacing them w/ smaller tanks? Will it throw off the balance on the trailer from front to back? (BTW, the modification bar is bolted on. One can remove it when it's not needed.)
TDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Note - static weight is used to project dynamic forces. Traveling velocity is the force multiplier. Less speed and less violent transitions/impact loading gives you a performance cushion......a higher weight capacity. However, the manufacturer is not going to calculate that for you.

Note - upgrading the hitch spreads the load over more of the chassis and recommended maximums are less critical limits. However, the manufacturer is not going to calculate that for you either.

Note - axle maximum weight limits are another way to match your rig to the towing loads.

To your question - Tongue weight needs to be 10-15% of total gross if stability is to be achieved. That's the window to work your weight tune.

LPG tanks can be aluminum. They can be short filled. They can be reduced in size.

The spare tire can be relocated to over the trailer axle or moved to the Tow Vehicle. Hard core solution is to leave the spare at home and run high grade tires for reliability.

The battery bank can be moved inside the coach. AGMs are required as they do not outgas.

The fresh water and waste tank fluids can be limited to mitigate end of coach loading. Same with all gear. Load heavy stuff in center over axle.

Good luck with your analysis. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Leave the trailer alone.

Do the -3-Pass Scale Method of analyzing hitch forces.

Full fresh water & propane in trailer.
Max fuel in TV.

Having used Andy’s article on how to set your T-Bars (at home; as rough-in), proceed to CAT Scale

1) Cross scale with WD tensioned

2). Remove all tension from WDH.

3). Park TT and cross scale.

Vehicles otherwise same, and all done at same time. Cat Scale App handy, go inside to get copies. Post here.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I would not tow our 23 foot or 25 foot Airstream with our 2008 Toyota Landcruiser in the Rocky Mountains. This vehicle is a tank on tires, 5.7L engine and a transmission that can handle any punishment.

A 2006 Tundra 4x4 4.7L engine pulled the 23 foot. The 2008 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 was much better!

The 2008 Double Cab and later a 2014 Tundra 4x4 Crew Max pulled the 25 foot. A bit on the light side fully loaded, but not an accident waiting to happen.

Towing on flat roads can be done by many vehicles. Fully loaded, the list becomes shorter.

You may love your current vehicle. It is probably close to the Land Cruiser in size, but probably not as heavy. Pulling is not the issue... it is stopping and control once you are up to highway speeds.

I see some of the weirdest tow vehicle and trailer combinations on our travels. Those towing seem content. I just want to get away from them and not be in the accident which is due to happen, sooner than later.

Maybe the Airstream dealer will let you hook up and give it a twenty mile test... tow. If they cannot get it set up to your satisfaction... just try something else. The sales people would encourage you to go for it. They give you the 'Safety in Towing' literature, they probably have never read. YOU need to look out for yourself. The dealer that sold us our first trailer was concerned that the check was good... What you did afterward becomes your problem, it seems.

Trust no one and verify any advice yourself.

Many may encourage some beefing up of suspension to make it possible to handle the weight at the hitch... everything else remains the same.

Wally Byam pulled a small Airstream with a bicycle. Had it been down hill, Airstream would have been owned by a different member of the family.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A Landcruiser would make a lousy tow vehicle given straight axles and the rest of the design. May as well compare a Willy’s Jeep to a Porsche.

The TT does its own braking. Change to antilock disc if you want to do it right.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
For what it is worth, I tow a 22FB with a Q5 2.0T and so far it hasn't ever been the TV that has limited the speed we drive on grades. This weekend we were driving 15-25 under the speed limit on moderate grades following a F150 EcoBoost towing a single axle utility trailer...my wife speculated they must have been hauling lead. We passed them in a passing lane on one of the steeper grades, the 2.0T hasn't had to struggle yet as it is mated perfectly with the 8-speed transmission. You will find others on here that tow 23', 25' and perhaps a 27/28' with a Q5 TDI.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Or start with no. 3 to have the trailer hitched up for dialing in the hitch later in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Leave the trailer alone.

Do the -3-Pass Scale Method of analyzing hitch forces.

Full fresh water & propane in trailer.
Max fuel in TV.

Having used Andy’s article on how to set your T-Bars (at home; as rough-in), proceed to CAT Scale

1) Cross scale with WD tensioned

2). Remove all tension from WDH.

3). Park TT and cross scale.

Vehicles otherwise same, and all done at same time. Cat Scale App handy, go inside to get copies. Post here.

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yes, a TARE weight first is the right way to go. That’s driver only plus gear never removed until sold. Max fuel bought at same location as CAT Scale. This is the lightest weight of the vehicle.

With the two axle readings, one can compare to the axle/wheel/tire limits of the vehicle.

It’s also where one has a baseline for tire pressure readings to spec (Load & Pressure Table; but insude vehicle manufacturers range). The “solo” TV tire pressure.

But the 3-Pass Method assumes other passengers and their gear in the tow vehicle. Going camping. Once the WD has had final adjustments, then axle readings for the TV can be dialed in for (1) Solo, Loaded, and (2)Towing.

More than anything one is establishing a numerical baseline for future reference once the WD is pretty close. And annual checks.

It usually takes some road testing and a return to the scales to get the ticket that reflects best performance. The road testing is both WD settings and tire pressure (tire pressure is not about vehicle handling, but proper pressure equalization after 1.5-hrs of steady state driving)

Old 06-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i have a 2016 q5 w the 3 L gas engine.

i have WD and anti sway pulling the sport 22FB

up hills passing at 115Km/h no issues
down hills with the P3 brake controller, no issue
passed by big semi on the highway, no issue.

my cdn Q5 manual says 5000 lb pull and 500 lb tongue.
i guess the US model gets derated
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Sonoma Valley , California
Looking at the 2015-2016 Audi Q5 to pull a 1966 Safari which is rated at 3400 pounds. Other alternative is the 2015 - 2016 Mercedes 350 ML. Open to your opinions! Thank you!
corinnedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1491.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	592.5 KB
ID:	330138

We tow a 2011 FC28 with the Q5 TDI. It is a nice tow vehicle. Plenty of power too.
Towing your trailer will be a snap.
Kevin

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1470.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	849.5 KB
ID:	330139
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinnedavid View Post
Looking at the 2015-2016 Audi Q5 to pull a 1966 Safari which is rated at 3400 pounds. Other alternative is the 2015 - 2016 Mercedes 350 ML. Open to your opinions! Thank you!

So far our ‘11 Q5 with the 2.0T pulls our 4500# rated 22FB like a dream. Engine braking all the way down Potato Hill (I84 east is Pendelton). So far we’ve never lacked power for driving as fast as we’d like up hills. Mileage while towing is better than most trucks empty. It’s a fantastic daily driver when not towing.

We aren’t full timers, just long weekend explorers.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
So far our ‘11 Q5 with the 2.0T pulls our 4500# rated 22FB like a dream. Engine braking all the way down Potato Hill (I84 east is Pendelton). So far we’ve never lacked power for driving as fast as we’d like up hills. Mileage while towing is better than most trucks empty. It’s a fantastic daily driver when not towing.

We aren’t full timers, just long weekend explorers.

I’m curious about the characteristics of the 2.0T. What gear do you tow in on the highway? What road speed, what revs? Does going down a gear to speed the engine up result in better fuel mileage since not as much turbo boost is required?
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
I’m curious about the characteristics of the 2.0T. What gear do you tow in on the highway? What road speed, what revs? Does going down a gear to speed the engine up result in better fuel mileage since not as much turbo boost is required?

Sorry for the delay, got sidetracked. In general just leave it in drive, sometimes in sport mode. If I feel it is lugging I might manually downshift, but most of the time I can’t find any advantage to just leaving it in D other than descents. We seem to average 15-18mpg tanks while pulling, which I will take all day over a truck...especially when it comes to driving and parking it as a daily commuter in a city

So far I drive it as fast as I feel I want to drive, it has never lacked power on the flats or uphill...and the engine braking has always allowed to maintain the speed I want on downhills. We have yet to be the rig holding up traffic.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
Sorry for the delay, got sidetracked. In general just leave it in drive, sometimes in sport mode. If I feel it is lugging I might manually downshift, but most of the time I can’t find any advantage to just leaving it in D other than descents. We seem to average 15-18mpg tanks while pulling, which I will take all day over a truck...especially when it comes to driving and parking it as a daily commuter in a city

So far I drive it as fast as I feel I want to drive, it has never lacked power on the flats or uphill...and the engine braking has always allowed to maintain the speed I want on downhills. We have yet to be the rig holding up traffic.

Thanks for the reply. It’s clear that 2.0 turbos will do very well, and that today’s turbo engines are fine with running under sustained boost. Technology really has advanced in this area.

Your results are impressive.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #19

2019 16' Sport
Bay Area , California
Q5 Question

What do you Q5 owners have for a hitch? Bay Area Airstream recommends a WD but i'm concerned about the compatibility of using a WD with the Q5 factory hitch.
pswish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:39 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pswish View Post
What do you Q5 owners have for a hitch? Bay Area Airstream recommends a WD but i'm concerned about the compatibility of using a WD with the Q5 factory hitch.

I use an EAZ-Lift WD hitch with dual sway controls. However, the key to towing a 28 ft unit was to get the hitch reinforced. I’m not certain the Q5 hitch would hold up over the long term without getting it modified.
Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote