Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Lymington , Hampshire
Send a message via Skype™ to Swagman
Towing with an A6 Allroad

Hi,
I'm a newbie and just starting my search for a suitable Airstream to use in Europe. Cannot afford a new one so it's likely to be a vintage or something around 2007 - big enough for two of us - but hopefully towable by our Audi A6 3 litre Quattro Allroad.
I'm getting local advice that most of the Airstreams around 20 foot are too heavy for the Audi, but it's towing limit is quoted as 1900 kilos, or 4,000 pounds. I would have thought there a a few models that might suit us, but actual practical advice would really be useful.
Does anyone have experience towing with a same model Audi, if so, how does it go?
Thanks in anticipation.
John
Swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Is it the supercharged "petrol" V6, or the TDI engine? That would make a difference, though I'm sure the supercharged engine is no slouch.

If you're looking at vintage trailers under 20' there are a number of trailers with gross weights under 4000 lb. For example, the '70s Argosy Minuet 20-foot models had a gross loaded weight rating of about 3500 lb, with claimed dry weights around 2500 lb.

On the 2007 specs (located here at Airstream's site, may be useful for you) it shows the max gross weight of a 16' International at 3500 lb, and I know people who comfortably tow one of those with a BMW X5 3.0l.

An option for new trailers might be the Sport line (in the US at least, I'm not sure about their offerings for Europe.) Max gross for a 22' Sport is 4500 lb.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Lymington , Hampshire
Send a message via Skype™ to Swagman
Hi,

Thanks for the assistance.

We've got the V6 TDI and yes, we like it and wish to keep it is we can.

I've since checked my owners manual and it states the cars ACTUALLY good for towing 4630 pounds so guessed that widened my scope - but then I also read that Audi's foldaway hitch limit is under 200 llbs, so that's now another issue to resolve.........

FWIW I'm attracted by the style of the 18 and 22 foot vintage Caravels and Safari, but thinking buying a rebuild vintage sight unseen from the US is perhaps too risky, and so we're tempted to maybe go for a more modern but much later model Safari.........new is sadly not an option.

Any guidance anyone independent can give on either of those directions would be really useful. And I'll ask again if anyone is using an Audi A6 Allroad as a TV, it would be great to hear of your actual experience......

Thanks again in anticipation
JOHN
Swagman is offline   Reply With Quote