Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #29

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts

just post it here. If people don't like it, they can go read something else.

Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member
Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by Jo Mojo View Post
Hi There,
We have just purchased a 2007 T-Rex and a 23D Airstream and trying to get them set up to connect with each other.

I'm wondering why you think the Pro Pride or Hensley is better than an Equalizer. Our dealer insists that we shouldn't have a weight distribution/anti-sway at all but it seems that other Touaregs towers use them. Our 2007 does not have the air levelers (or whatever they're called). Do you (or anyone) know about the new Husky Center Line wd hitches?
Just purchased the exact same setup - 2008 International 23D and a 2007 touareg v8. Using an equilizer hitch and prodigy p3. Working great so far -just towed it from California to Colorado. Got about 11.5 MPG (going uphill most of the way and into a headwind). The equilizer made a massive difference in sway as we started out using a standard ball for the first 100 miles or so and then switched over to the equilizer which I had along. Anyway - feel free to reach out and we can compare notes at some point.

Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member
1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I am seriously looking at a 2008 or newer V8 Tourareg to tow our '78 Ambassador. I would love a diesel but they are a bit out of my price range. Please keep up with reports about how it is going...not only the towing aspect but the reliability of the Touareg.
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." -- Frank Zappa
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Someone asked for a picture with the "T-Rex" and my 25 foot Airstream Classic for this thread so I will place two here but first l want everyone to remember - all "T-Rex" & "Pepper" owners who are towing - keep an eye on those weights, especially the tongue weights and loads within your tow vehicle and DO visit your local scales every-time you change your Tow Vehicle & Trailer weights to ensure you are within safe parameters...

These are great vehicles but do not be lulled into a false sense of security because some of us use them with fairly large, long & tongue heavy Airstreams - those of us who do (and safely might I add) have resorted to towing these larger Airstreams but only after investing in hours & hours of research, tow hitches (PP or HaHa), trips to the scales and understanding our limitations so to stay within the "envelope" of safe towing...

Failure to do so can be disastrous!!!

After spending over a year of towing "back-and-forth" across this country of ours, via the mountains and deserts, from sea to shining sea, I have decided that I no longer wish to live by the limitations imposed on me and the capabilities of my 25' Airstream trailer and TDI Touareg and thus I have invested in a larger tow vehicle that will allow me to use the full capacity of my wonderful 25FB Airstream Classic Trailer...

And THIS is my last posting on this thread...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10UberAirZepMoabUtah.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	119866   Click image for larger version

Name:	10UberAirZepSteamBoatCo.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	119867  

John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #33
Retired U.S. Army
2011 16' Sport
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
My Experience With 2008 Touareg V6 & 16' Bambi Sport

I was grateful for all the info posted on this and other threads about the Touareg's warning statement in the owners manual about never using a WD/LE hitch, the anti-sway bars issue, length of ball mount, brake controler problems, etc. I will relate a quick version of what we just went through, mainly because we couldn't really decide what advice to take as given on different threads (although I'm convinced it was all well-intended and based upon personal experience). We welcomed it all, then finally had to dive in on our own and find out for ourselves!

OK, we bought a 2008 Touareg V6 without air suspension. We paid the local VW dealer here in Seattle to install a VW trailer hitch and a Tekonsha Prodigy 2 Brake Controller. They didn't have a ball mount to sell us (more in a bit). The output for the hookup with the trailer didn't work the first time, and they had to reprogram the Touareg's computer to recognize it. Then the brake controller drove them crazy, and they had a lot of problems trying to get it to work. They called VW tech service and they were unable to help, so the mechanics went on the Internet to find some solutions. I will say that I called VW tech support myself when I had a question about the statement in the owners manual about never using a WD/LE hitch. All they could do is read me the portion in the manual. They must have thought I was illiterate or something, but the point is they were useless.

The good news is that the VW mechanics was indeed able to get everything working properly! If anyone has a similar issue with their dealer, their name is Carter VW in Seattle and I suspect they would be willing to help out with where they found the information they needed to make things work, or they might be able to remember what they did.

Then we read the little sticker on the VW hitch that says :maximum distance from middle of pin hole to middle of ball not to exceed 6.15 inches" or similar wording. As many have already stated, they don't come that short! We looked all over, and finally found the shortest mount we could and had a tow hitch place drill another hole to get the distance as close as possible to VW's specifications. This turned out to be 6.5". Close enough!

We have 16' Bambi, and the Airstream maintenance chief said on his test drive he thought we didn't need any anti-sway or load distributing hitch at all, so we don't use anything at all. It sticks to the bumper like glue, and we've had no problems on the highway (so far!). It seems to be a plus that the ball is so close to the bumper, except when backing up to park the trailer sometimes, but even then it's no big deal.

So, everything works fine, the Touareg handles the Bambi with ease, and we are very glad we have this combo. VW scares the crap out of you with their warning statements, but there are probably some sound engineering principles unique to this vehicle that come into play. Would this work for larger Airstreams? I suspect so, but only to a point.

Anyway, hope this might help someone in the same position as we found ourselves just a few weeks ago!

Possumato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #34
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I would be willing to bet the lawyers wrote most of those warning labels. It's sad what this world has come too. anything happens and people are so ready to sue. Heaven forbid we take responsibility for our own actions.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote