Old 04-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Now I see! Sounds good to me. I was ready to raise cane with my dealer for not knowing.
Got your message. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
I would see if you could find a dealer to either purchase a "ProPride" or "Hensley Arrow" hitch for your T-Rex....

I went with the ProPride - do a quick search and you can find fans of both!
I am going to buy a 2010 25' International. I have a 2009 Touareg TDI with the tow package. All this is new to me....what else will I need for towing?
Another brake? Anti-sway bar? How is your's set-up? Also, it seems like the 25' is pretty close to the weight limit of the VW. I've read here about a 20% rule?
ANy help is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Are you going "Serenity" or one of the two "Signature Series" on your International? If I didn't strike the deal on the Classic Limited (brand new 2009 model) I was then going to jump on a "Serenity International".

Lots of info for you - but remember - you are going to hear both positive and negative comments on your choice as I have both on the forum and off. People can be pretty possessive of their thoughts and are not afraid to be vocal with their opinions - just filter all the info (let a few comments slide off of your back) and enjoy the Forum.

We can chat in more detail as you require more "info" but the "info" posted below should help you to get started on your way...

1. You need a good brake controller - and in my opinion the Prodigy P3 is currently the best out there. I had the orignal "Prodigy" and towed with it on my "Cayenne S" for 4+ years and loved it. The down side is you need to rig up a little harness to plug into the P3 - and here are instructions on how to do this... Note - I would go with the simple "automotive relay" vice the "sold state" relay - and NO you do not need the switch installed - I did as at the time I thought it would be cool but recognize it might be a bit "over-the-top".

2. You will need a good "Weight Distribution Hitch" with "Stabilization" - the two best out there in my opinion are the "Hensley Arrow" and the "ProPride P3". This is going to be your call but I would spend the extra money over the other "traditional" hitches and choose one of these two - and out of the two I would go with the "ProPride P3". This product is an "update" to the original "Hensley Arrow" and after speaking with the owner of the company (Sean who is a frequent guest here) and many others all over the web - the "ProPride" really appears to be the best out there (think of it as an updated "Hensley Arrow")...

3. Think "efficiency" when loading up your trailer - you are going to need to be "smart" with your packing to include driving around with your tanks full of propane, water, (or empty - or somewhere in-between), etc. Now that being said - for a test this past weekend I loaded up my "Classic Limited" with water, propane and rocks - took her to the scales and she was at "7,510" pounds. I wanted to test the limits at full weight close to home. The really interesting thing is that I couldn't feel the extra weight (other than going up the mountains to Big Bear via some steep grades) over the dry weight of "6,200" pounds (yea - the trailer dry is supposed to be only "5,900" pounds but....). The cool thing is that I was still cruising around at 65mph "Rock Stable" and it was a windy day as a crosswind heading over a few of the passes was blowing 25 - 40 mph plus. CONCLUSION - she towed "great" fully loaded - BUT my "Modus Operandi" will be to tow at my "85% weight" - and when I get to my final destination (5-10 miles outside of final camp) I'll load up with water and full propane, "adult heavy bottled beverages", etc. if necessary.

Again - this info should get you started - and don't be intimidated as this isn't rocket science! There is LOTS of info & opinions out there - and as I posted on one of our other forums - "Each of us has a different puzzle to put together" (as our TV's & TT's are all different) - "alas our puzzle pieces are all out there just waiting for us to collect them and assemble."

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I will take you up on the coffee offer at Springstream
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
for a test this past weekend I loaded up my "Classic Limited" with water, propane and rocks
Well actually it was sandbags full of very small "pea sized" gravel so it wouldn't shift around - borrowed from a friends "home improvement patio" project she is working on...
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 04-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Quote:
The really interesting thing is that I couldn't feel the extra weight (other than going up the mountains to Big Bear via some steep grades) over the dry weight of "6,200" pounds (yea - the trailer dry is supposed to be only "5,900" pounds but....).

With 1970s trailers, factory weight did not include the awning or propane bottles. They add 200 lbs plus. Is that the difference in your case?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
It's the "upgrades" (such as 80lb propane cylinders vs the standard 60lb bottles, Vista Window Upgrade, microwave oven upgrade, etc., etc., etc.) luckily the spare tire, standard propane tanks, etc. are now part of the dry weights...
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 04-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks so much for the reply! This was exactly the information I was looking for (links and all!).
I've seen pics of the Serenity, but want to see in person befor making the plunge.
Again, thanks for the taking the time to answer and putting it in such a concise manner!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The T-reg has a very rigid uni-body and high end traction control . This clip demonstrates.....

YouTube - VW Touareg Rock Climbing in Moab!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Little Rock , Arkansas
John,
Does your Touareg have the air suspension.? I was at my AS dealer today and they said that I was not supposed to use weight dist, etc with my vehicle. I told them I thought that may be the case with the air suspension, but not a "regular" one like mine. There was no definitive answer from the VW Owner's Manual.

They also claimed to have never heard of a propride3? And they thought the Hensley Arrow was too difficult to hook-up, etc. (Starting to lose confidence in these guys!)
Which PP3 did you get? I noticed on their website that there are different weights.
Thanks for your help!
Patrick
Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Good day Patrick.....

Have your dealer check out this video of Airstream Inc testing Airstreams with a Cayenne (same as T-reg) using a WDH and get their reaction.

Airstream, Inc :: Why Buy?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Wayne is right once again (btw - great video) - but DO get a picture of their reaction first!!!

Hey - Colonial Airstream is a two day drive for ya - My Airstream & "T-Rex" live in California and that's who I used - well worth the drive....

I do not have air suspension as I had it on the "Cayenne S" and DID NOT want it on the new "T-Rex" because I liked the handling & ride better with Steel Springs (that's JUST personal opinion) BUT all you need to do is disable "auto-load level" and your fine as rain!!!

I have the ProPride with 1,000 lb bars as suggested by Sean.

Whatever you do - I Would Not Purchase from your current AirStream Dealer as they are just full of cr@p.
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #27
_

. , .
patrick...

welcome to a/s land.

the a/s dealer has given EXACTLY the correct line...

ACCORDING TO VOLKSWAGEN.

there are a dozen good threads here related to the Trex and towing.

and some EXPERIENCED folks towing with a T who can offer insight.

so far NONE of those folks have posted into this thread.

yes, one CAN use w/d with the T...

but to do so will be going OUTSIDE the established parameters laid down by vw...

you might wander OVER to the t rex forums and explore DEVOman's posts or aircooled posts (he is known as westfalia here......

these two guys have YEARS more experience with the combo

and won't label GOOD dealers as done above.

in fact aircooled/westfalia purchased HIS stream from your dealership, as did i and 100s of others here.

Club Touareg - Volkswagen Touareg Owners Community

ON this forum here's a little higher class of reading...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-er-17371.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ari-20739.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tch-45523.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...reg-20879.html

there are OTHER older threads here on using the v'dub, again with solid info.

you are asking a question that has been covered in great detail SO MANY times...

that the seasoned folks no longer wanna post about it...

the result is new postings with POOR info, MIS understandings about the issues...

and SHORT CUTS that may come back to bite.

there is also some frankly MADE UP stuff now littering the T threads...

IF the dealer in question happens to be about 1 hours drive northeast, you have found a GREAT place to buy, get service and so on...

the dealer may NOT have heard of a pp yet, there are NOT nearly as many of them out there as the haha OR more common hitches...

that's not the dealers fault, no one can be expected to keep up on every new device.

YES it can be used with a vw, but again doing THAT is contrary to the official recommendations from vw.

so using it means LEARNING and exploring the fringe of official advice.

try getting advice from folks who are SEASONED with that towing combo...

they are people who've MADE mistakes, LEARNED from them and are willing to help others NOT repeat those mis steps...

this isn't wildly complicated but it IS more involved than posted above.

so UNDERSTAND what the issues are and WHY going OUTSIDE the VW advice means.

and IF you do wanna explore THAT hitch, this thread might be a tiny bit useful...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html

in that thread you will see devoman's posts on setting up his rex...

go stuff, that is NOT self inflating.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Here are the pictures & info of my "Cayenne S" & Trailer as requested via the PM's...

Cayenne S with air suspension
Trailer is Haulmark (22 feet x 8.5 wide) - (2 Harley Ultra Classics CVO's & 1 Harley 1200 Skirtster)
Total trailer weight when loaded = tongue is 508 lbs - trailer weight with bikes & equipment is 5,212 lbs
Prodigy Brake Controller - towed approximately 50,000 miles over 4.5 years

I'll PM the link of the video & pics of the Touareg TDI with my Airstream 25FB Classic Limited as requested so not to bother any other folks with this subject matter on this forum.

I'm done with this Thread - PM me if anyone has any more questions concerning Cayenne's, Touareg's or even Q7's and I'll direct you to the appropriate links...

**I Love U.S.A.**