Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

west orange , New Jersey
Towing with a Tahoe

Hi
Just bought a new 27' flying cloud 7300 GVWR. my 2011 Tahoe with tow and off road package is rated at 8200lbs. The short wheel base is not ideal i know, but after reading some of the posts here it sounds like it should work well enough. I am wondering however about the ideal hitch set up. any one with thoughts or suggestions? thanks
famlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlyman View Post
... well enough.
I'm not so sure about that and I tow with a Tahoe.

It adds up quickly:

How many kids do you have famlyman? How much do they weigh? Are they getting any bigger? Do you have a significant other? How much do the two of you weigh?

How much does ALL of the stuff you're going to bring (inside your tow vehicle and inside your trailer) really weigh?
How much can your tow vehicle really handle safely?
How close to that number are you willing to go?

I use a Reese Dual Cam High Performance Sway Control and High Performance Weight Distributing System.

Congratulations on the new Cloud and welcome to the forums.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Hi
Just bought a new 27' flying cloud 7300 GVWR. my 2011 Tahoe with tow and off road package is rated at 8200lbs. The short wheel base is not ideal i know, but after reading some of the posts here it sounds like it should work well enough. I am wondering however about the ideal hitch set up. any one with thoughts or suggestions? thanks
If your Tahoe has a towing capacity of 8200, and the trailer has a GVWR of 7300, I thing you will be OK. Not by some folks estimate, but you have more than a 10% safety margine even if you load the Airstream to max capacity.

In such a situation, I wouldn't settle for any hitch but the best, a ProPride. With loading approaching max, and a short wheelbase tow vehicle, it's a no brainer to me.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
fredericksburg , Texas
invest in a hensley hitch new about 3200 used about 1500 it will be the best money you spend!! You wont have to worry about the short wheelbase on tahoe..Congradulations on your new airstream..I love my airstream and can speak nothing but praise on safety and ease of the hensley
fbgairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Check inside the closet door, and see how much cargo carrying capacity the trailer has. Some of them have had the CCC of a heavy suitcase (46 pounds).
If nothing else, you will have a good idea of how much the trailer weighs empty.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

west orange , New Jersey
I was advised against the hensley hitch, because of the square in square and finding a perfectly level area to reattach on. Not sure if this makes sense, or if I was able to clearly illustrate the problem. thanks for the input.
famlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I was advised against the hensley hitch, because of the square in square and finding a perfectly level area to reattach on. Not sure if this makes sense, or if I was able to clearly illustrate the problem. thanks for the input.
Yes, that is one of the improvements with the ProPride over the Hensley, it's easier to hookup.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We have a 2008 Tahoe. You will need to look at the GCWR of the Tahoe. The combined weight rating is what you'll need to make sure you are under. If its like mine it's 13,000lbs. I think you'll be at max or over with the 27ft.
Congratulations on your trailer!
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I had a 2007 yukon/tahoe as a TV with my 2010 FC25FB. It worked very well in most cases, especially when parking and backing. On the roadit also did well EXCEPT in wind and passing trucks. Than it would be the case of the "tail wagging the dog" For a hitch, I have a equal-izer with 1000# bars.
I now have a Dodge 1500, but the trailer is winterized and haven't towed with it yet. Time will tell; let you know in the spring.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:34 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
famlyman -

In answer to your hitch question - ProPride or Hensley are pretty much universally regarded as the "best". Both are expensive. Both are a little more complicated to hitch up but with a little practice, you can do it relatively easily. If you want the absolute best or if you are in a marginal situation with short wheelbase either will do the job and do it very well.

I use a Reese dual-cam setup. I have friends that use just about every other brand. The real key in my view is to make absolutely sure that the hitch is properly set up and adjusted to optimize the weight distribution and sway control. To do it right can easily take a full day and a number of trips across the scales.

In answer to your question about towing the 27 with the Tahoe - I think you will be fine as long as you really pay attention to what you are doing. I towed with a similar (but older model) setup for a couple of years. The key here is to know ALL the ratings for the Tahoe and the trailer. Then, you will need to spend some time at the scales collecting the data on actual weights of all of those items to make sure you aren't exceeding any of the capacities and ratings.

Right now, you have two of the 6-10 numbers you need to validate. Chevy doesn't really make it easy to find the other numbers online but they should be either in your owners manual or on a placard on the vehicle.

For the Tahoe, you will need to know the -

Max tow capacity - (I'm assuming 8200 since that was in your post)
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
Gross combined weight rating (GCWR)
Axle ratings for both front and rear axles.
Payload capacity. If the payload capacity isn't stated, subtract the curb weight of the Tahoe from the GVWR.
If you have aftermarket wheels or tires, you need to know the rated capacities of those as well.

For the trailer, you need to know the -

Axle rating
Gross weight rating

With all of those numbers in hand, head to the scale and start collecting the data on your specific combo.

In our experience, we were well under almost all of the stated capacities except GVWR on the Tahoe. We were right on the edge with that number and had to really pay attention to what we put into the vehicle.

Without going to the scale and doing the math though, you simply won't know. As I have stated in a prior post, I am not opposed to going right up to a stated capacity. I am not a fan of going over though.

All that said, our real-world towing experience with the Tahoe was generally fine. The gas mileage was horrible. Towing in the mountains or even rolling hills was sometimes a little bit of a challenge but that is a function of the gasoline engine and it's horsepower. Towing on the mostly flat land around us here in TX was never a problem. In about 10,000 towing miles, I never felt the trailer was "too much" for the truck.

Good luck!
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
I also was told not to use a vehicle with a transmision that downshifts to slow you down or has an exhaust brake as it will cause the hensley to unlock, the trailer needs to brake first. It could put you in a dangerous situation if it unlocks at the wrong time I was told.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
HUH? All auto trannys downshift! jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Point Pleasant , New Jersey
I have a 2003 Z71 and pull a 2012 EB FC with a Reese Load Balance Hitch. I have no issues at all, Love It.
mlhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I also was told not to use a vehicle with a transmision that downshifts to slow you down or has an exhaust brake as it will cause the hensley to unlock, the trailer needs to brake first. It could put you in a dangerous situation if it unlocks at the wrong time I was told.
That was obviously told to you by someone who didn't know squat about either the Hensley or the ProPride. And what is this "unlock"? I've been using my ProPride for two years now, and an estimate of 60,000 miles, have a Diesel truck with the Alison transmission, it downshifts all the time to control the speed, and I don't have a clue of what you are talking about, "unlock".

And, as far as difficulty of hooking up, once you learn how the hitch works, and become familiar with it, it's much easier and faster to hook up than the Reese dual cam I used to have. You don't have to ever remove the bars, and you don't have to mess with the chains while installing the bars. But, the best thing is the hitch just works, with no sway, ever, not even a hint of sway.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
HUH? All auto trannys downshift! jim
He was talking about the Allison tranny.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:
Hi
IMO...Your Tahoe is more than capable of towing your FC.
A good quality WD hitch with sway control is absolutely necessary. (I will abstain from pontification as to which is best.)
With the Z71 suspension you will need the lightest WD bars that are capable of transferring the needed weight to the steering axle.
FWIW...I'm not a fan of the HD suspensions for towing. (15yrs @ GM store).
Check the OEM receiver for weld cracks and excess rust regularly.

A level trailer and TV with the proper weight transfer and sway control is the goal.

Bob
Old 11-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
That was obviously told to you by someone who didn't know squat about either the Hensley or the ProPride. And what is this "unlock"? I've been using my ProPride for two years now, and an estimate of 60,000 miles, have a Diesel truck with the Alison transmission, it downshifts all the time to control the speed, and I don't have a clue of what you are talking about, "unlock".
I guess he is talking about it locking here at 1:20 minutes.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Can't vouch for the Hensley because I've not used one, but the ProPride does not "unlock". And, if you watch the video AND listen to the audio, they explain how the hitch works. It only will turn, or change angle when the tow vehicle first turns....the trailer CANNOT turn behind the TV as in a sway...cannot happen.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It sounds like he is describing the Hensley "bump".

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
It sounds like he is describing the Hensley "bump".
Which, when the HAHA is adjusted properly, is non-existant.

Bob