Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
True story: I was doing some PR work for Land Rover and needed to fax some graphics to the NJ office and after several failed attempts, I called the office and asked if Lucas was now making fax machines. I was treated to a long silence by a very British tech at the other end.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #42
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
So what do you think? Has anyone ever towed their Airstream with a Rolls?
Sure, I do it every time we camp!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #43
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nswhite View Post
Would a Rolls pickup work better?

In 1950 Rolls Royce built a RR pickup based on the Phantom IV body/chassis for use at the factory. They dismantled it in 1963 IIRC.

I have seen RR "trucks" in the UK for use as a flower car at funeral homes. Usually, they had a matching RR hearse.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I think it was Goin Camping on the forum here who remembers as a kid seeing folks pull in to the CG in a RR with chauffer. And an Airstream of course......maybe he'll confirm if it was him and if so elaborate on it.

We just popped Donna's 740i. Maintenance costs were just too much for what I thought was acceptable. Our first one though saved our lives - let me rephrase that - how it was built and how the airbags deployed saved our proverbial bacon(s) when in an accident in 2006. The car was destroyed yet we got out without a scratch. Thus she bought another one, but I finally convinced her that she needed a truck and not the car.

That said, I was just kinda looking on Craigs List yesterday and low and behold, there's a '57 Silver Cloud for sale. Reasonable price, it is a nice grey (gray to you US folks) and that sure got me thinking. I suppose if I raised that one with Donna after convincing her to sell her car I'd be in mega trouble. But gosh it sure did look like it would make an ideal TV. Hmmmmmm, see what you started??? You are bad. In a good way, but still, bad.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
A Rolls mechanic in the San Francisco told me several years ago to figure on $5000 for a brake job. He also said a Rolls never breaks down they simply "fail to proceed"...cool....
Bing-Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Here you go

1967 ROLLS ROYCE - $4500 (Tacoma)

1967 ROLLS ROYCE
Old 02-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #47
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I've had quite a few English vehicles with Lucas electrics and consider the knocks to Lucas greatly exaggerated. In my experience nearly half the problems come from some dumbass installing the battery backwards (they are positive ground) then wondering why the electrics went wonky.

In the fifties and sixties Delco and Bosch were the best, but Lucas stuff was as good as any other import.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
I think it was Goin Camping on the forum here who remembers as a kid seeing folks pull in to the CG in a RR with chauffer. And an Airstream of course......maybe he'll confirm if it was him and if so elaborate on it.
Back in the mid sixties my Mom, Sis and dog were camping at Refugio State Beach in our VW and yard sale tent.

Our next door neighbor was an Airstream hitched to a RR. As we were eating our hot dogs and Mac and Cheese. My Mom gave us a nudge and we looked over to see the butler in a Tux serving the couple who had dressed formally for dinner. Hot dogs and Mac and Cheese.

Needless to say it left an impression.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Here you go

1967 ROLLS ROYCE - $4500 (Tacoma)

1967 ROLLS ROYCE
The ad reports "1967 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. Runs good. Has minor fire damage on right rear."

Wonder if the guy was smokin the tires and it got a little hot back there???
Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
The ad reports "1967 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. Runs good. Has minor fire damage on right rear."

Wonder if the guy was smokin the tires and it got a little hot back there???
The worst report is that it needs hydraulic repairs... means brake$ in RR language.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Back in the mid sixties my Mom, Sis and dog were camping at Refugio State Beach in our VW and yard sale tent.

Our next door neighbor was an Airstream hitched to a RR. As we were eating our hot dogs and Mac and Cheese. My Mom gave us a nudge and we looked over to see the butler in a Tux serving the couple who had dressed formally for dinner. Hot dogs and Mac and Cheese.

Needless to say it left an impression.
I still chuckle when I remember reading this from a long ago post. You have to wonder what that butler was thinking in the back of his mind....

Thanks for posting this Goin. I was pretty sure it was you.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Oooo - parts car!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #53

Yatala. 4207 Australia , Queensland
Towing with a Rolls Royce

I am at present looking at a Rolls late 80s for towing our race cars and my caravan. Presently I tow with my Holden Caprice, the 6 litre version with 6 speed auto. The trouble is they are only rated at 2.1 ton. I need around 3.5 ton capacity. As I have built hot rods and race cars, modifying a car is not a big deal.

For better economy change the original T400 for either a 700R or a TCI 6 speed auto from the States. Final drive on the 6 speed is .75:1, great for improved economy. They also come with paddle shifts if needed.

The engines seem to work well if serviced properly, but an alternative is a 454 chev with aluminium heads and fuel injection with a bolt on 6 speed auto. The joys of the original rolls engine is their quietness, Chevy although torky and reliable are not the quietest.

My plans are for a 1989 Spur II, change auto to TCI 6 speed, air bag the suspension, upgrade the brakes to late 13"-14" rotors with 4 spot on the front and 2 spot on the rear. I know then towing with 3 tons on the rear I will have the torque to pull the trailer and the ability to stop.

Upgrade the interior with GPS, DVD, Bluetooth unit and rear screens. All up cost around A$45,000.

This will be cheaper than a converted 2500HD Silverado, VW Tourag or a toyota Land Cruiser. Remember in Australia we are right hand drive. Converted new 2500HD Silverados are selling for A$120,000-A$140,000, take 10% off for US equivalent. That's a lot of money. VW Tourag top of the range is around A$120,000. so a low milage 89 Rolls Royce at A$30,000 plus a few mods is a good alternative.

If you did change the motor, you can always sell the original to recover the costs. Rebuilt RR motors over here are around A$30,000. A new high touque 454 cu is around US$10,000 with all accessories and belts.

At the end of the day, how cool would it be to be able to tow with the Rolls, style, comfort, class, people move over for you and they wont depreciate any more, so 5 years later your car is still worth the same, to me that's being financially savvy. Don't worry what other people thing, just do it, tint the windows a stick it to them.

I visit the States at least once a year for car shows and SEMA, love seeing your airstreams and big motorhomes. If you want to see all of the country do it in comfort. We have a large country over here travelling 500 miles between drag strips, I want to do it in comfort and style.
Ossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Sweet Ozz... If you go through with it we got to see the pics!!!

The 454 is quite the gas guzzler. What about one of the diesels out of a Chrysler 300???
Old 04-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #55

Cobourg , Ontario
Silver Ghost, Silver Spirit, Silver Spur, silver trailer, coincidence?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #56
1 Rivet Member

Agoura Hills , California
The Lucas joke that was missed:

If you see a couple of Englishmen pushing a house down the street, what are they doing? Trying to jump start the Lucas oil burner!

I know all about Lucas, I owned an MGB and a Jag XJ6, I aways felt owning the Jag was like being in love with a beautiful woman with a really bad personality. The MG on the other hand was a '70 split bumper and I'd take it back in a minute!

I have a friend who dropped a 350 small block in his XJ and it is a super car, once he got the bugs out of the conversion.

Go with the Rolls, it's only money!
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Ganaraska, What did you end up doing? RR?
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #58

Cobourg , Ontario
The whole thread was in fun, I never seriously intended buying a Rolls. I just like looking at the ads.

On reviewing this thread, I think it is one of the funniest or most amusing on the board. So in that respect it went well or at least, we had a few laughs out of the idea.

I still think a Rolls Royce would make an awesome tow vehicle.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:49 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
A few years back I spent some time working for Fiat and Ferrari.

One day, several of my co-workers and I went to a warehouse near Newark, NJ to take an inventory of Ferraris that were being stored there together with Rolls Royces. As I recall there were well over 100 Ferraris and about an equal number of Rolls. There was quite a lot of inventory $$ in that warehouse!

The one thing that struck me about these 2 car brands at the time though was the less than stellar reputation each of these had as far as mechanical reliability. I guess that a lot of people that had that much money to spend one could afford to keep them running. (One of my projects at the time was a review of Ferraris that had been returned under the Lemon Law.)

I'll never forget visiting one of the largest Ferrari dealers located in Lake Forest, IL (who had sold Ferraris to almost everyone of the Cicago Bulls basketball players at the time - Jordon, Pippen, etc.) where there was a used Rolls Royce sitting in the showroom leaking oil on the floor. When I asked a salesman about the oil leak his comment was that all the Rolls Royces had that problem.

Personally, I put Airstreams in the same category with Rolls Royces and Ferraris - they all look good, but if you want value for the dollar and products that are well made, you'd best look elsewhere.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

cork , munster
Hi Lads, how you doing
Guess who had to much time on his hands today, well.... working actually!
Anyway, found this on ebay
www.ebay.com 330505488309

Merry xmas and all that
Good luck
Pete
irshmerc is offline   Reply With Quote