Old 02-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898 View Post
how does a Jag compare....

A few years back at the Toronto RV show Can Am was showing a similar Jag/Airstream. Being the curious type I asked Mr. T how it towed. He replied "It was to best TV/combination he had ever driven". Considering the man drives 5 to 8?? different combination's weekly that says a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
I don't know if that pic is of your rig, but I'd be mighty worried if I had to brake suddenly.
Jags have very short stopping distances with high performance braking systems. Based on my experience towing with a similar vehicle braking is exceptional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jag8.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	96854  

Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Maybe a smaller trailer, but a 34' triple axle????

That's too gutsy for me.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
I had a RR many years ago and have had 2 Jag's. The big issue is: parts & mechanic.
I would still be driving any one of my past if my mechanic did not retire and disappear.
When he retired I went to American only. With a RR or a Jag you almost always have a second car to rely on. As is said "been there and done that".
Then again, maybe I'll take a lookie at the RR gig again (after speaking with my mechanic). What a great rig that would be.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
So what do you think? Has anyone ever towed their Airstream with a Rolls?
If I recall correctly, one of the most commonly overheard comments about our trailers is, "Oh brother - only snobby millionaires own those."
So allow me to give you a sense of the gravity of what you're suggesting:

You will be single-handedly unraveling YEARS of careful, calculated massaging of our public image by thousands of Airstreamers who've been shunned by society.

You'll DESTROY an entire grassroots campaign meant to spread the truth; that we're just down to earth folks.

And for every mile you drive with your little Rolls, know that you'll be stirring the souls of the anti-elitists, who give judgmental stares and cold shoulder treatments to your friends. Your poor, salt of the earth, fellow, aluminum-loving friends.

So thanks a HEAP, Ganaraska!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I can't confirm this but I was told by a fellow who was looking at one that he'd been told a brake job, all four wheels, was three grand (Canadian) so about 80 bucks US. He was intending to hot rod it, but had wanted to maintain the original suspension, brakes, electronics, just wanted to put a big block Chevy in it and lower it a tad. I don't know if he ever follow through but I thought at the time that it would be a fun thing to do.

If you are up to it you should go for it. If you get it for the right price and aren't happy you can sell it off again and in the meantime have some fun. And if you really like it you may be setting a trend. Get a sliver one if you can.......
Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #20
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
About 10 years ago I read an article in an English car magazine. A company in England was repowering Rolls Royces with Chev 6.2 diesels.

The engine bolts up to the stock TurboHydro transmission. People were buying cheap cars that had bad engines and having them done. Apparently the main market was horse owners who wanted a classy car to tow a horse trailer.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #21

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
If I recall correctly, one of the most commonly overheard comments about our trailers is, "Oh brother - only snobby millionaires own those."
So allow me to give you a sense of the gravity of what you're suggesting:

You will be single-handedly unraveling YEARS of careful, calculated massaging of our public image by thousands of Airstreamers who've been shunned by society.

You'll DESTROY an entire grassroots campaign meant to spread the truth; that we're just down to earth folks.

And for every mile you drive with your little Rolls, know that you'll be stirring the souls of the anti-elitists, who give judgmental stares and cold shoulder treatments to your friends. Your poor, salt of the earth, fellow, aluminum-loving friends.

So thanks a HEAP, Ganaraska!
I was thinking it would get around the problem of being turned away from trailer parks because your rig is over 10 years old.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
About 10 years ago I read an article in an English car magazine. A company in England was repowering Rolls Royces with Chev 6.2 diesels.

The engine bolts up to the stock TurboHydro transmission. People were buying cheap cars that had bad engines and having them done. Apparently the main market was horse owners who wanted a classy car to tow a horse trailer.
Sounds like a good idea. Get rid of a problematic older engine/trannys and upgrade to a modern set up.
I have done a few of these projects in the past putting V8's in an AMC Pacer and a Ford Pinto. Not rocket science with the older technology. Newer conversions are a bit more complex with the electronic controls.
I knew a guy once that dropped a Cat dozer engine in a Burb. It got great fuel mileage as a TV.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
If it's anything like the '89 XJS I abandoned in Monterey
There was a guy here a few years ago that dropped an older XJS on a Ford,Chevy,Dodge??? 4x4 chassis. Looked cool and was probably a great mudder with the huge tires but everything else like braking, handling, ride quility (lol) went out the window compared to the stock Jag.
I saw the car in Brantford (former home of Wayne Gretsky).
Old 02-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #24
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
We do have a member of WBCCI (or at least to) who tows with a Rolls Royce as when we attended the Swiss Festival Rally in Sugarcreek, OH in 1995 there was a Rolls towing a 25-27 foot Airstream if my memory is correct. Unfortunately I cannot find the picture I took. It was quite an 'eye opener' as seldom does one even see a Rolls let alone towing an Airstream.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Sounds like a good idea. Get rid of a problematic older engine/trannys and upgrade to a modern set up.
I have done a few of these projects in the past putting V8's in an AMC Pacer and a Ford Pinto. Not rocket science with the older technology. Newer conversions are a bit more complex with the electronic controls.
I knew a guy once that dropped a Cat dozer engine in a Burb. It got great fuel mileage as a TV.
One reason this swap works so well is that the Chev engine bolts up to the Rolls transmission. Because the Rolls uses a GM transmission.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
I was thinking it would get around the problem of being turned away from trailer parks because your rig is over 10 years old.
Now you are really thinking. And I'm sure you have others thinking too. A great way to get around that 10 year thingy. Dazzle them with the TV and you are in like flint. And who in the park would even think to complain, they all want a ride in the RR.

You could get a plate for the car that says RR and RRTrailer for the Stream.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #27

Cobourg , Ontario
Yeah I want to see the look on their face when they say "we don't take trailers over 10 years old" and it's a Rolls towing an Airstream lol.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Drop in an overbored Cadillac V8-500:

http://www.cad500parts.com/

Lighter than a 454 (really not that much more than a 350 shiv). 500-LBS/FT at 2,600-rpm on pump gas. Unlike a Chrysler 440 it falls flat above 3500, but, hey, . . . .

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote