Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Sweet!
I was always told that the distance between the hitch and Centerline of the rear axle was the most critical... shorter the better!

Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Thank you for the pictures. It looks like you have a great setup there. I hope you and your (growing) family have many years of enjoyment with the new trailer.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:16 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
I'm very curious about how your hitch receiver attaches to the vehicle. We have a 2008 LR3 and it's got one of those strange receivers that slots up into the rear cross member and then latches into place. My understanding is that piece is the weak point of our system.

You'll love that trailer, BTW, its the same thing we've got and it's a great size for four. ;-)

Here it is set up for our four and two-year-olds to sleep in. JP, the four-year-old, it enjoying his pre-sleep drink. Before our youngest was out of the crib, however, we would just fold up the left bench and set-up a pack n' play on the floor. It's a great spot near the rear heat vent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6594.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	159000  
Old 05-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Issaquah , Washington

Name:	image-2524391926.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	159028

Name:	image-946394985.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	159029

Phbarnhart
Great pic of the set up for the kids. My wife loved it.

The LR3, LR4, and RR Sport all use the latch in hitch reciever. The full size RR uses a completely different system. Appears to be all one piece. You will also notice that the hitch receiver is set 8" back under the vehicle from end of bumper. After looking at a bunch of othr vehicles on the road this seems pretty unusual. Not sure if it makes any difference. It does mean I don't have much room to play with when backing up to hitch.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The closer the hitch ball to the rear axle, the better the handling. Never extend this as the trailer will put more vertical and horizontal force on the tow vehicle (push you around more).

That is an odd hitch, pretty light metal holding the ball, not sure what I see.

doug k
Old 05-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks for the picts! Yes, that is a very different setup than ours. I imagine that they set the receiver so far back for the same reason that they made mine removable; offloading. It would limit the departure angle too much if there was a big 'ol receiver sticking out!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Issaquah , Washington
Update.....made it over Snoqualmie Pass all the way to Lake Rooselvelt. No problem, even with 2.5 hours of stop and go uphill traffic over the pass.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks for the update! Land Rover makes great vehicles. I really wish that they hadn't compromised the towing ability of ours with a ridiculous hitch design!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #23
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Happy to know the Range Rover is working out for you- it takes a bit of a bashing on the forums. My tow vehicle is a Land Rover Defender 90. While it's not nearly as posh as your Range Rover, it also takes a bit of a bashing here in Australia, so I understand where you're coming from.

Again, great it's working out for you, and enjoy your new Airstream!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #24

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Escondido , California
Great to see some has the same taste as me I have a 25ft Airstream and a 2006 RR.
unfortunatly not the eddie bauer dream.
But I do have a LR D90
Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #25

2011 23' FB International
COLORADO SPRINGS , Colorado
Range Rover & Airstream

We did our first trip. Everything went great!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Late to the party, but back in the UK we used to tow horse trailers with Land Rovers and Range Rovers. They are exceptional tow vehicles.

I used to drive a 1964 SWB ragtop Land Rover. I think the engine produced 74hp, drum brakes all round. The you need a heavy truck to tow anything crowd on this forum would shiver if they knew what we towed with that little machine, but given that it was designed to tow (light) artillery pieces into enemy territory I was never all that worried.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Issaquah , Washington
I started this thread to give actual information on the Range Rover as a tow vehicle. I hope that others keep it going.

My Range Rover will be making its final towing trip this coming week. At 104,000 miles it is time for a new vehicle. I will be ending a 15 year love affair with Range Rovers. I love these vehicles, but liked them better when I would see only one per week. Now I see 50 a day.

Anyway, my Range Rover has pulled my 25' Eddie Bauer great over the past two summers. Not a single issue with the towing. While the Range Rover performed fine, I felt it was lacking in enough power to really take on the mountain passes. Although the new Range Rovers have much more HP and Torque, they have gotten too expensive and I can not justify spending the money anymore.

The Rover handled my trailer perfectly. Never had a single sway problem. The only problem I have had was with the power wire to the trailer socket. Shortly after leaving the house, at the top of Tiger Mountain on HWY 18, I noticed the trailer breaks were no longer connected. After pulling over and not finding any problems with my connections, I made my way down Tiger Mountain to North Bend to an RV Mechanic (I can tell you that the Range Rover's breaks did a excellent job on the trip down the mountain with out trailer breaks). Turns out the guy who ran the power wire from the trailer socket to the battery ran it over a heat shield where it melted and shorted out.

Anyway, I hope the other people with Rovers keep this thread going. Here is a link I found about Land Rover using a Range Rover pulling an Airstream from England to Morocco as publicity for the new Rover.

Range Rover SDV8 Tows an Airstream 684 Series 2 from England to Morocco and Back - Carscoops

My new Tow Vehicle? Already ordered and arriving at the dealer next week....2014 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition.