Old 09-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No, but try it, you'll know.

Here's the deal. When my truck is loaded back heavy it is light in front and handles very poorly. Add a trailer with weight distribution and the load can be equalized, significantly improving handling.

doug

Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
When you are loaded with water.. groceries..passengers and toys how does the Ridgeline sit. The problem comes in when the front becomes light . Many roads have dips or series of dips this is when you could get in trouble, a truck passes you the rear is soft and when it goes down the front end comes up. This is all it takes....please do not take this lightly rv' ing should be fun driving should be fun ....not white knuckled fun .
This is how it sits and I don't have white knuckles when driving it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1236.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	195079  

Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Doug I think in your case using a Ram 1/2 ton regular cab shortbox you are correct because you are loading close to max payload design but with a longer wheelbase vehicle with a higher payload capacity,I do not believe your theory holds any merit.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #74
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
When you are loaded with water.. groceries..passengers and toys how does the Ridgeline sit. The problem comes in when the front becomes light . Many roads have dips or series of dips this is when you could get in trouble, a truck passes you the rear is soft and when it goes down the front end comes up. This is all it takes....please do not take this lightly rv' ing should be fun driving should be fun ....not white knuckled fun .
Here is a Ridge with a WDH installed.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	honda ridge 78.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	195090  
Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Ridgline has a completely different structure.Here is a Pilot the blue indicates high strength steel notice the back has very little high strength steel as this allows the structure to crumple easy on initial impact then gets firmer passenger compartment for safety.But as with alot of unibodies this makes for a week rear wheels back area allowing it to bend fairly easy when exposed to undo stress.Now it is easy to see why Honda warns against WD hitch install.

The Honda Pilot has earned the coveted 5-Star ranking from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The Pilot has received a 5-star frontal and 5-star side-impact crash test rating which means, there is High-Strength Steel used throughout the body structure.
The unit-body construction makes extensive use of high-strength steel (52 percent) to minimize weight, and maintain safety for passengers in the event of a collision. Of course, the famous Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) Body Structure is used to help. Repairs made to the ACE body structure directly affect your level of safety, correct application of equipment and materials is necessary.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Honda Ridgeline notice the full length frame in red.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I just returned from another trip with my trailer and Honda Pilot with no problems as usual. Some of the conversation on this thread led me to double check my manual, Here is what it says:

Weight Distributing Hitch
A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle, as an improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and braking performance.

The concern stated is about handling, not strength. An incorrect towing setup could probably cause these problems with any vehicle. I'm not sure why Honda wants to point this out, but its probably "weasel words" to get out of any liability for problems with a tow set-up that Honda hasn't analyzed or tested.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Mike, my Honda Odyssey specifies use of a weight distribution hitch for trailers above 1850lbs. The Pilot and the Odyssey share the same platform, in many ways they are the same car, so I would not worry too much.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any stories to relate about unibody weaknesses in and around the hitch securing points.

I absolutely understand what Switz is saying but I've not encountered anyone saying that they've had an issue; not yet, anyway.

I don't have a factory fitted hitch on my TV but my after-market "Hidden Hitch" uses the factory provided mounting points. I can't offer any genuine comments because my hitch has been beefed up and has a third, central mounting point in addition to the two on either end.

Just interested is all...
I installed a Euro-spec hitch on our 1995 BMW 5 series wagon, and on our 2000 BMW 5 series wagon (540it). The factory-type hitches replace the bumper bar, and are attached into the bumper mounts. On the BMW at least this is a strong, reinforced area. And the hitch protrudes into the structure to help resist the bending moment.

It was attached by 10 high strength bolts. I don't think it was however designed for weight distribution, so it would have had to be modified to get past the 200 lb hitch weight limit.