Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Towing with a late model Dodge 1500?

Just wondering if anyone is towing with one of the new ('09,'10) Dodge trucks with the coil spring rear suspension, and if so, how's it doing for ya?

I've looked under them, and they seem to be setup well with a four bar system and a anti-sway bar, but just wondering how stable they are towing. Any information appreciated.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I have used one for towing - but I only towed my 2000 lb T@B with it. Needless to say, it handled that easily.

It's a very nice truck - comfortable ride, much improved interior, torquey HEMI.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Thanks, Tom.

Anyone else done any towing with a new Dodge?
Old 11-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I came soooooo close this summer to purchasing a new crew cab 1500 but just got scared of the payment. I was truly impressed with every aspect of the truck - rode and handled great and you can't beat 390 hp hemi. I read an article a few weeks ago that since Dodge uses the new SAE tow ratings they have added another 1000 lbs to the tow rating. Let us know if you purchase one and how it does.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
The warranty is indeed one to consider if buying and not leasing.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
No one else towing with a new Dodge truck with the coil rear suspension?
Old 11-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsford , New York
I'm towing my 2009 25' FB International with a 2009 Dodge RAM1500 Laramie Quad Cab and have no complaints. Ride is great; handles very easily and I haven't noticed any particular problems with sway. Gas mileage plummets when I hook up the AS in tow/haul mode but that's to be expected and I've been averaging around 11.5MPG with the AG in tow which isn't too bad. Ride is very comfortable; on the highway it's easy to forget you're pulling the extra length & weight.
TG2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
I'm towing a 2000 34 Limited Sofa SO with an 06 3500 Cummins. It is a wondeful TV though I'm not sure about the coil rear suspension.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Two questions:

Why is the coil suspension a question? I would have that it's an improvement over the usual truck leaf suspension.

What is the warrantee issue? Still fear of Chrysler going bankrupt?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Macomb , Michigan
We are pulling a 2009 23 International CCD with a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab HEMI. It pulls effortlessly and we do not notice any sway or difficulty taking down the highways. I am averaging about 12.5 mpg in Tow / Haul Mode but that is expected with this set up.

The ride is soft and compliant, the AS just flows along the backside. Once up to speed, you hardly notice its there. We are extremely happy with the setup.

Happy to comment on any aspects of the vehicle and / or rig. Dodge just did increase the towing capacity as well based on different rating calculations.
BrianDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Two questions:

Why is the coil suspension a question? I would have that it's an improvement over the usual truck leaf suspension.
Yes, I would agree that a person would think so, but like everything else, what you think should be, is not always the case. That's sometimes more true with a new product. I just think it's a good idea to wait until a product has been in use a while to find out how well it is doing from the people who are actually using it. Basically, I don't want to be the factory's beta tester.

Years ago GM had coil spring suspension on the rear of their light trucks, and they didn't do so good. They rode good, but didn't handle loads so well, and so GM went back to parrallel leafs in '73 on their light trucks....said they were more "heavy duty".

My brother actually owns a Dodge 1/2 ton with the coil suspension, and he likes it, but he does not tow or haul with it. I've driven it, and it does not seem to ride any better than my GM. He also owns a GM, and reports that in some situations (mainly a washboard gravel road) the Dodge does not ride as well as his GM. These are the reasons I wanted input from people who are actually towing with these trucks.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I am surprised that no major truck magazine or towing enthusiast has done a heads up road test/shoot out comparison of this new IRS Dodge with any leaf spring pick up. ???

Seems to me many folks very interested in actual real world differences.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Two questions:

What is the warrantee issue? Still fear of Chrysler going bankrupt?

My point on the warranty is the lifetime coverage on the powertain. IF they go under then a point to consder. But for now, a very good advantage for those who tow and keep the truck for more than 5-6 years.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
I am surprised that no major truck magazine or towing enthusiast has done a heads up road test/shoot out comparison of this new IRS Dodge with any leaf spring pick up. ???

Seems to me many folks very interested in actual real world differences.
Actually, the truck is not IRS (Independent Rear Suspension), it's just coil springs on a standard axle, with a triangulated four bar and an anti-sway bar.

Triangulated four bar works good, that is until you get some wear/loosness in one of the bushings, and then your lateral stabilty goes out the window.

I would have rather seen a straight four bar with a panhard rod....more stable laterally.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
... I read an article a few weeks ago that since Dodge uses the new SAE tow ratings they have added another 1000 lbs to the tow rating...
"sae" tow ratings actually exist? I thought it was still just in the talking stages.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
My point on the warranty is the lifetime coverage on the powertain. IF they go under then a point to consder. But for now, a very good advantage for those who tow and keep the truck for more than 5-6 years.
Oh, not to worry about the warranty....BHO and company will warranty it.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Actually, the truck is not IRS (Independent Rear Suspension), it's just coil springs on a standard axle, with a triangulated four bar and an anti-sway bar.
Thnxs for the correct information Steve. I thought it was IRS but got it wrong.

Here is some positive comments from various sources...... Improving ride quality and handling of a pick up is a major step forward.

"Towing and Hauling Despite the Ram's coil-spring suspension, several reviewers say it is a competent tow and haul vehicle. For 2010, the Ram's maximum towing capacity was upped. It can now tow up to 10,450 pounds when properly equipped. Depending on configuration, the Dodge Ram has a maximum payload capacity of 1,910 pounds. These numbers are in line with the towing and hauling capacities offered by competitors.
  • "Ram tows and hauls enough for most users," -- USA TODAY
  • "When towing various size trailers on a short loop, the Hemi-powered Ram acted as if nothing was attached to the rear. It just chugged along, getting up to 60 mph with ease, even with a 9,000-pound Air Stream attached on a simple hitch" -- Detroit News
  • "Should you ever end up using the bed itself, you may put the new coil-spring rear suspension to the test only to find that Dodge indeed did its homework here: Payload capacity is retained, but ride quality is vastly improved." -- Car and Driver

Old 11-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I test drove the Laramie 1500, 5.7 Hemi, with the 3.9 rear end and was quite surprised/pleased with the ride and power, although I did not get to tow with it.

I am contemplating whether to get it, the Laramie 2500 diesel, the Ford F150 or F250 diesel for a 25' to 28' A/S. Difficult decision for various reasons.

Both Dodges and the F150 will fit in the garage......the F250 will not.

Dodges seem to have the better warranties, should they continue in business.

Toyota was a complete disappointment to me and I am a Toyota/Nissan/Foreign car person for over 45 years. Rode like a stagecoach on a balloons as I bounced down the road and around turns. (If you're interested.)

The Fords/Dodges rode and steered much better.

I too would like to read more comparisons between the Dodge and Ford.
There is quite a bit of Dodge information on the RV forums. It seems like a lot of those guys use the Dodge.
RavenDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDL View Post
We are pulling a 2009 23 International CCD with a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab HEMI. It pulls effortlessly and we do not notice any sway or difficulty taking down the highways. I am averaging about 12.5 mpg in Tow / Haul Mode but that is expected with this set up.

The ride is soft and compliant, the AS just flows along the backside. Once up to speed, you hardly notice its there. We are extremely happy with the setup.

Happy to comment on any aspects of the vehicle and / or rig. Dodge just did increase the towing capacity as well based on different rating calculations.
Brian, Thanks for your input...it's exactly what I was looking for.

Can you tell us how many miles you have on your Dodge, how many towing miles you have, and what hitch you are using?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
OK, It's been three years......

Bringing this thread back from the dead thinking it's been three years now, and there should be more owner/driver input on the newer version of the Dodge, or I think now they are actually called Ram trucks.

Would love to hear any and all input from owners of the newer Ram 1500 trucks.

Tags