Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , AB
Towing with a Jeep Wrangler

Howdy,

I want to drive up to Inuvik in Yukon.

Would 600km of Dempster "Highway" cause a Bambi to fall apart?
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Depends

How good is the axle?
How balanced is your running gear?
Is your hitch set up "properly?"
Do you drive like a "foo?"
Hint: Have you ever seen any pictures of the stuff Wally Byam put a bunch of Airstreamers through on one of his Caravans?

I wanted a Wrangler but bought a diesel Liberty for towing.

I say go for it, as long as you consider, it depends.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , AB
Well, the TV is a 2008 Wrangler Sahara: 3.8 liter V6, auto, factory fitted class II hitch with appropriate axle. I know this is not ideal for towing a caravan of any size, since the wheel base is a bit short - though much longer than they used to be. The new breed of Jeeps are bigger, heavier and longer, so a lot more stable. I'm not worried about the Jeep - it will survive and it is not going to be a high speed race and I understand that kinetic energy is related to the square of the speed.

I haven't bought a trailer yet. I am worried about getting a trailer that will be physically strong enough to take the pounding of hundreds of kilometers of gravel roads and not have all the cabinets and things come falling down. I don't think a conventional square box will do, but I really don't have experience in arctic gravel towing.

So if anyone has done crazy trips like this, then I'd like to exchange some ideas first.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It would be a good idea to look at a small two axle trailer. Not for sway or stability issues, but in case you have a problem, like a flat tire or bad wheel bearing. You can limp into the next populated area for repairs using one wheel on one side. If you lose one on a single axle trailer, you're sunk. This is the main reason Wally strongly encouraged two axle trailers on his caravans.
Probably a 21-22' trailer would be all you would want, and your Jeep would be able to handle. The older trailers of the same length were quite a bit lighter, maybe you could find one in good shape for your trip. Also, the class II receiver doesn't have the weight rating for a larger trailer, in fact the smallest Airstream would probably exceed the rating.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , AB
Hmm, a Wrangler is rated at up to 3500 lb with a WD hitch which means a 17 footer, single axle. However it is all about speed and the ratings are typically for 60 mph highway towing. At 50 mph, the kinetic energy is 70% of 60 mph, so one can tow a 30% heavier trailer just by slowing down a little bit, which means 5000 lb.

Why are the older Airstreams lighter? I thought that advances in composites would make the newer ones lighter.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper
Why are the older Airstreams lighter? I thought that advances in composites would make the newer ones lighter.
Glue weighs a lot.

Given your tow vehicle specs, I wouldn't tow any thing that weighs more than 2500 lbs. After you load gear and some water - you are maxed out.

I have towed my Minuet (2400 lbs dry) with an Explorer that has similar capacity and wheel base. It's not fun. The trailer is in charge and while it may be legal and within vehicle specs I wouldn't want to take a grueling trip under these conditions.

Honestly - I would want a more robust tow vehicle to do what you are proposing, regardless of the weight of the trailer. Unfortunatley, I think you may be underpowered for this trip even with one of the lighter weight Airstreams.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , AB
Hmm, I also heard that it would be better to get a fibreglass trailer, since they are also immensely strong and half the weight of an Airstream.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:39 AM   #8
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper
Hmm, I also heard that it would be better to get a fibreglass trailer, since they are also immensely strong and half the weight of an Airstream.
I have to agree with Janet that you will be way under powered with the Jeep. A class II won't hold up at all. Also, the jeep is going to have a hard time stopping if you ever got into one of those "OS" situations. You can get all caught up in numbers and formulas but the truth of the matter is search the forum for folks who have tried but failed. Fiberglass stronger than aluminum? Well it all depends on what it put on. Have you ever looked at the frame of one of those SOB's? Nor there is something that won't last more than a few trips over gravel and washboard. Come to think of it my last airplane was aluminum, not fiberglass. We wish you luck in your search and on your trip. The best trips are thos that are well planned.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Regarding the weight, unfortunately Airstream has not invested in better-and-lighter construction materials as they have been developed by the market over the years, as one might expect from such a premium brand. Instead, they got fatter and heavier and the quality has not increased either...in fact, some feel it has actually fallen. Too bad.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67
Regarding the weight, unfortunately Airstream has not invested in better-and-lighter construction materials as they have been developed by the market over the years, as one might expect from such a premium brand. Instead, they got fatter and heavier and the quality has not increased either...in fact, some feel it has actually fallen. Too bad.
Though this is partly true, Airstream has come out with the Sport versions that are lighter and have less luxo items. Same as a Burro? Not really, but it's not a bad second step (Argosy was the first). With the industry in a major slump and fuel prices hitting the stratosphere, you will most likely see an expansion of the Sport line and/or further weight/size reductions.

As for the quality of the newer units in general, I'd have to agree 110%.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #11
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Suggestion !!

Buy a tent and a porta potty and arrive alive.
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Dempster Hwy = flat tires...

We went up the road almost all the way to Inuvik several years ago, but the bridge was out on the big river (MacKenzie?) a ways south of Inuvik so we did not actually get all the way there. We were in a pickup camper at the time and not with an Airstream.

The Dempster Hwy though, is made of the sharpest crushed rock I have ever seen anywhere. We had 7 flats on that road, including 3 within about a 15 mile stretch... All the flats were on the rear axle, none on the front. Sort of like the rock is laying on the road and the front tires would flip the rock up into the air and then if the rear tire hit it while the rock was still on edge it would just puncture the tire. Our tires were so cut to ribbons that we weren't sure we would actually make it back out of there (we had our own tire patching stuff with us so we repaired our own flats by the side of the road).

We then got a set of Michelin steel-belted and had no more troubles. Something about the Michelins and those gravel roads and that is about all everybody uses up there I think.

You are going to get a medium amount of rock hits though. When you meet an on-coming truck (one of the big Hayes trucks with a moose-gooser front end) you are going to be pelted with everything from sand to 1/2 inchers. Not sure I would want to take my Bambi up that road just because of the rocks when meeting vehicles. If you were going up to stay in Inuvik for some expended period of time then no problem, but if I was just going up there for a couple days or something I personally would leave my Bambi in Dawson and just run up and back to Inuvik with my tow vehicle and sleep in the seat (I would be leary of a tent because I don't like bears...).

It is a really beautiful run though, one that is worth doing. As far as the trailer holding up, I would have no worries about taking my Bambi (19') and I think it would hold up just fine, use common sense and don't beat it to pieces trying to run 60 when you ought to be going 30... My only worry would be the cosmetic aspects of what the rock hits would do. Of course I have also seen people tarp-strap a mattress or a heavy quilt to the front of their trailer and that seems to work. You wouldn't be the only one to do that.

At any rate, it is a trip worth doing so I would encourage you to go for it.

regards, Dave
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I would suggest a Casita, all one piece fiberglass and light weight for the tow vehicle suggested. Single axle, the tire situation will be your challenge. Bearings usually hold out on a newer unit. Any airstream will be destroyed and resale will be, well painful. I know you also have a similar mfg in canada that builds all one piece fiberglass single axle trailers. Can not think of the name, possibly big foot?? Good luck.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , AB
Hmm, Escape Trailers in Chillywack, eh?
The Escape Trailer

I can see that rocks and Airstreams won't mix well. Parking it in Dawson City would probably be a wise move.

I do find it curious that the Airstream build quality degenerated over the years, but the new Sport 17 footers do look really nice and may cause a bit of a rebound in popularity, if only they were not so over priced.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Airstreams are ,well a design statement as much as anything. In reality though they are very well built and if you look at the ages of the trailers represented in this forum you will see great product performance. That being said they are very expensive, and they dent quite easily. So, for your application I would suggest finding a 2-4 year old all one piece glass unit, built similar to a boat, even the cabinets are out of the mold. Good luck.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:11 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If your Jeep has the inline 6, that is a fairly good engine. My brother has a Wrangler and it's a fun truck. The issue is that with this truck, it's not the most soft ride. Anything you buy is going to get shaken pretty badly. Add to the fact you have not the best wheelbase with it, I would be careful towing more than a 16' trailer with it. You can get a vintage, but I think even a vintage Airstream is going to be pushing it and Airstreams are known to like softer rides on the hitches.

The escape trailer you posted is a neat concept. I see the total dry weights of it, but I must have missed where it's NCC and tank capacities are at. If in fact it has tanks (LP, water, black and/or grey), this will only increase the weights beyond the dry 1900lbs I am looking at on one of them, not to mention anything you'd pack with you in the RV and the truck, which also count toward the total weight (also passengers, fuel, etc count on the tow vehicle side too). I'd be careful not to exceed or come close to the max suggested tow rating of the Jeep. That is designed as an off road, fun in the sun and snow type vehicle. Though it's a great truck, I'm not sure I'd use it to tow anything significant.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Your V-6 might be a little light for towing...

I also just noticed that your Jeep is the 3.8 liter V-6, so you really want to stay very light on towing weight. You will be fine for normal use (I tow a 19' with a 4.0 liter V-6) but if you are going to the far north you will get into situations that are not normal.

The main problem is mud. The gravel mix used on the roads is not always consistent and if it rains (which it will) and you get to a section of road with poor gravel (which you will) to where your tires start cutting in 2, 3 or 4 inches into the mud (which you will) and then you come to a steep hill with a 6 or maybe 10% uphill grade (which you will) you need a lot of plain old horsepower or you aren't going to make it up the hill. I assume you are 4x4.

Anyway, there will be sections of road where you come around a curve and there in front of you is a 1/4 mile stretch of road where all you see is 2 deep ruts down the center, puddles of water on the sides, and you are hoping that you aren't going to drag bottom. Because if the ruts are deep enough for you to drag an axle then you are done. So what do you do ? You quickly drop a gear, mash the throttle to the floor, hold your breath and don't stop because you know if you stop you will never get started again.

Those situations just are not fun. I have enough "flash-backs" of them to where I know that the next time I go there I want lots and lots of horses... (or somebody will maybe say torque...) whatever, I know I need more than my 4.0 liter V-6 has so until I get a stronger tow vehicle the far north is off-limits for me.

Also, here is a link to a comparable road in the far north, although this one is in Russia it is about parallel to the road to Inuvik... Note, I am not saying the Dempster Hwy is anything like this, but....

Russian Highway from Hell

regards, Dave
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , AB
In Canada, we call that mud bog mess 'muskeg'. Our army has special light weight, tracked, 'northern terrain vehicles' to negotiate it.

The Dempster Highway is specially built to avoid melting the underlying Tundra, but I'm sure it can still get problematic in spots.

One guy who is interested in going with, has a 6 wheeled Volvo troop carrier, which may end up being the 'recovery vehicle'...