Old 05-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Airstreams are ,well a design statement as much as anything. In reality though they are very well built and if you look at the ages of the trailers represented in this forum you will see great product performance. That being said they are very expensive, and they dent quite easily. So, for your application I would suggest finding a 2-4 year old all one piece glass unit, built similar to a boat, even the cabinets are out of the mold. Good luck.

safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:11 AM   #16
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If your Jeep has the inline 6, that is a fairly good engine. My brother has a Wrangler and it's a fun truck. The issue is that with this truck, it's not the most soft ride. Anything you buy is going to get shaken pretty badly. Add to the fact you have not the best wheelbase with it, I would be careful towing more than a 16' trailer with it. You can get a vintage, but I think even a vintage Airstream is going to be pushing it and Airstreams are known to like softer rides on the hitches.

The escape trailer you posted is a neat concept. I see the total dry weights of it, but I must have missed where it's NCC and tank capacities are at. If in fact it has tanks (LP, water, black and/or grey), this will only increase the weights beyond the dry 1900lbs I am looking at on one of them, not to mention anything you'd pack with you in the RV and the truck, which also count toward the total weight (also passengers, fuel, etc count on the tow vehicle side too). I'd be careful not to exceed or come close to the max suggested tow rating of the Jeep. That is designed as an off road, fun in the sun and snow type vehicle. Though it's a great truck, I'm not sure I'd use it to tow anything significant.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Your V-6 might be a little light for towing...

I also just noticed that your Jeep is the 3.8 liter V-6, so you really want to stay very light on towing weight. You will be fine for normal use (I tow a 19' with a 4.0 liter V-6) but if you are going to the far north you will get into situations that are not normal.

The main problem is mud. The gravel mix used on the roads is not always consistent and if it rains (which it will) and you get to a section of road with poor gravel (which you will) to where your tires start cutting in 2, 3 or 4 inches into the mud (which you will) and then you come to a steep hill with a 6 or maybe 10% uphill grade (which you will) you need a lot of plain old horsepower or you aren't going to make it up the hill. I assume you are 4x4.

Anyway, there will be sections of road where you come around a curve and there in front of you is a 1/4 mile stretch of road where all you see is 2 deep ruts down the center, puddles of water on the sides, and you are hoping that you aren't going to drag bottom. Because if the ruts are deep enough for you to drag an axle then you are done. So what do you do ? You quickly drop a gear, mash the throttle to the floor, hold your breath and don't stop because you know if you stop you will never get started again.

Those situations just are not fun. I have enough "flash-backs" of them to where I know that the next time I go there I want lots and lots of horses... (or somebody will maybe say torque...) whatever, I know I need more than my 4.0 liter V-6 has so until I get a stronger tow vehicle the far north is off-limits for me.

Also, here is a link to a comparable road in the far north, although this one is in Russia it is about parallel to the road to Inuvik... Note, I am not saying the Dempster Hwy is anything like this, but....

Russian Highway from Hell

regards, Dave
Dave&Shari Wagner
2006 Bambi SE,
2008 Ford F350 Diesel 4x4
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
Calgary , AB
In Canada, we call that mud bog mess 'muskeg'. Our army has special light weight, tracked, 'northern terrain vehicles' to negotiate it.

The Dempster Highway is specially built to avoid melting the underlying Tundra, but I'm sure it can still get problematic in spots.

One guy who is interested in going with, has a 6 wheeled Volvo troop carrier, which may end up being the 'recovery vehicle'...

Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote