Old 02-13-2006, 05:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Originally Posted by ankornuta
I'm able to pull my 26' 1958 Cruiser with my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee... I have the 5.7L Hemi in there and can tow up to 7200 pounds. It's a breeze to get the trailer moving but I can tell you that it isn't much fun. It gets pushed around a bit by the trailer. Since I'm knee-deep in an off-frame restoration I have time to think about a new tow vehicle. I may end up with a Hensley Arrow hitch in the interim though, that would certainly help from what I've heard.
Wheel base is part of the problem. I think the rest of your problem is hitch related. What are you using for a hitch?

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #16
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
(Been looking through some of these old threads and thought I'd add some Daimler-Chrysler specs for the Jeep Cherokee [XJ-series; not Grand] that might be of help to someone else thinking of towing with an XJ. I love 'em, so remember that [am on the third one currently].)

Wheelbase: 101" (considered short).

Weight: (have owned two of the 2WD versions. Both scaled at a little over 3,400-lbs each; empty, but with full fuel and no driver or passengers. Add another 450-lbs for 4WD; or, nearly 3,900-lbs before driver and pax plus misc). I have seen plenty of instances of modified 4WD Cherokees that weigh in excess of 4,700-lbs.

Towing capacity: 5,000-lbs on a Class III receiver (I recommend Hidden Hitch) with a weight distribution rig. Probably, the REESE Strait Line "Dual Cam" is the best lower cost choice. Otherwise, I'd have a 3P-style hitch.

A fact not noted, but the factory makes a point of stating:

No more than 25' in length, and 64 s/f of frontal area with a maximum tongue weight of 750-lbs.

Axle loading maximum (rear; or GAWR) is: 2,700-lbs with either the DANA 35 or MOPAR 8.25 axle. (With the I6-242 cid engine and Aisin-Warner4 transmission, the rear axle ratio is 3.55 with or without limited slip.

The GCWR (gross combined weight rating) is 8,781-lbs in 2WD and a hair over 9,000-lbs with 4WD (spring capacity).

Example: My current XJ weighs just under 3,400-lbs. With my wife and I aboard, plus about 50-lbs of essentials, we are already at nearly 3,760-lbs.

Assuming the weight distribution remains constant on the rear axle (solo) of 43%, then we are at 1,634-lbs, with 1,066-lbs to go to maximum.

Note that many Jeeps are not fitted by their owners with tires that are properly weight rated. Each tire needs a capacity of around 1,400-lbs to squeak by the GAWR.

The brakes do NOT have a great deal of reserve capacity (front disc/ rear drum). I have upgraded two of my XJ's and recommend that.

It will take some sorting to get the numbers to work, but assuming that one will be toting a 5,000-lb trailer behind a moderately loaded TV is a stretch. At least for a long trip.

That said, the 4.0L six and AW4 trans are bulletproof. It will take an XHD ATF cooler (and PSF cooler, IMO) to get the best from the Jeep (plus the HD radiator according to the 2001 manual). The gearing is more than adequate (peak torque is around 3,200-rpm) so be careful of tire sizing that one can cruise just below peak torque at highway speeds.

I have towed several small trailers (extra low to ground) and weight was no consideration on an 1800-mile roundtrip on the Plains at several thousand pounds. MPG was good at 12. Fighting winds with an enlarged frontal area (make the measurements, p-l-e-a-s-e) would be another story.

Don't fall for the idea of unibody being inferior to body-on-frame, that is ridiculous. A unibody vehicle is engineered for strength without weight. The abuse put on 4WD Jeeps is amazing. Tremendous aftermarket support for those who want to modify.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote