Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lafayette , Indiana
I revived this thread because my situation has changed yet again. I will give a short recap of what I found with the chebby wagon.
1. The award trailer's relatively flimsy hitch persuaded me not to use any anti-sway deivces or leveling devices with it. My imagination of what woudl happen if the hitch failed on the highway was just a little too much.
2. Without the anti sway and leveling devices the package was not comfortable. The soft springs on the wagon allowed too much sway. I did replace the rear springs with HD from Monroe and I added air lift bags to the back when the stock leveling system crapped out but it was just too soft. Another problem I did not anticipate was that the wagon in stock form is about 400# heavier on the rear than the front so putting the trailer on the rear without any leveling bars made the front frighteningly light. Any hard braking caused the front tires on the car to lock up.
3. So I never sold my dodge tow vehicle and eventually sold the Chebby wagon for about what I paid for it after investing quite a bit in routine reparis.
4. And the folks who warned me about the award with the wagon turned out to be right on.

My financial picture has changed again and I am again considering selling off my dodge and getting something less valuable to tow with.

Yesterday I looked online at a 95 Caddy hearse (don't laugh please). It has all the power the chebby had with the iron head LT1 but a longer wheelbase and shorter rear overhang. It unfortunately has no rear seats but a huge cargo area with a sliding floor that pulls out the back for easy access to your cargo. If it had a rear seat it would be pretty ideal. In my younger days I owned several hearse/ambulances and have always had a soft spot for them. I am not sure I can get the Mrs to ride in any of them anymore though.
t walgamuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #62
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I am not sure I can get the Mrs to ride in any of them anymore though.

Depends on the reclining angle of the plush velvet seat . . . and who applied her makeup.

In high school one of the boys gave a '67 Pontiac hearse to a little hippie girl. She used to transport one of the legendary too much LSD heads daily. He'd ride in the coffin attendant jump seat, far to the rear and framed by those big side windows.

What was the TW on the Award? I'm having a hard time with the no WDH thing. Won't argue it, but would never drive it that way, either.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lafayette , Indiana
Tongue weight less than 500# I believe. I have been towing it with just a straight hitch, no leveling bars and no anti sway devices with the big dodge. No problemo.

Actually the hearse I like at the moment looks a lot like that one but is American racing blue.

Sweet!

I'd have to get rid of the landeau bars and carriage lights on the sides though.
t walgamuth is offline   Reply With Quote