Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

2008 20' Safari
murphys , California
Towing with a 1/2 ton

I currently looking at a 1978 airstream argosy 24' total lenght, the trailer is 22'. Will I be albe to tow it with my 2003 Chevy 1500? The truck has a GVW of 6,400 pounds, a trailer two package and a 4.10 rear end. Power is from a 5.3 V8.

Thanks, Murphys
murphys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I don't think that you should have any problem towing the 24' Argosy with your TV.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You don't give us the scale weight of your loaded trailer, but from what you have provided, I think you'll be fine. Give it a go and see if it is comfortable. I would assume if your truck has a 4.10 gear set, it has the HD tow package.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
You should be okay, use a WD hitch and make sure it is set up properly. I pull a longer unit with a lighter built F150. Stay out of the mountains though...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
What do you suppose the tow vehicle of choice was in 1978? Something tells me it was not a F-250 diesel.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
I just bought a 94 30ft Excella and tow with a 2003 f150. So far no problems. It is 4x4 with a 5.4 v8 and tow package.
sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
You should be fine. I tow a 28ft Argosy with a GMC 1/2 ton 5.3L. A weight distribution setup is a must. Not going 75 mph up a hill, but we get there just fine.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Fort Myers , Florida
Hello all.

You mind if I ask some Toyota questions? I have a 2008 Sequoia 5.7L V8 with tow pkg. the manual says I can tow up to 9100 lbs with a 16000 lb max combined TV + TT. We are looking at a 2005 Safari Bunkhouse 30ft with a dry wt of 6215 and GVWR of 8400. Does anyone tow a 30ft AS with a Sequoia? Can I make it through the mountains safely? It's my first TT purchase and want to be sure my SUV can do the job for a family of 7.

Called our Toyota dealer yesterday and they said the SAE has changed the towing standards this year and that our Sequoia can now only tow up to 6400 lbs. that' a significant drop. What is Airstream saying? What do you say? I just need to know what I can safely tow cross country or do I need to wait and get a 3/4 ton SUV.
badgerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfamily View Post
Hello all.

You mind if I ask some Toyota questions? I have a 2008 Sequoia 5.7L V8 with tow pkg. the manual says I can tow up to 9100 lbs with a 16000 lb max combined TV + TT. We are looking at a 2005 Safari Bunkhouse 30ft with a dry wt of 6215 and GVWR of 8400. Does anyone tow a 30ft AS with a Sequoia? Can I make it through the mountains safely? It's my first TT purchase and want to be sure my SUV can do the job for a family of 7.

Called our Toyota dealer yesterday and they said the SAE has changed the towing standards this year and that our Sequoia can now only tow up to 6400 lbs. that' a significant drop. What is Airstream saying? What do you say? I just need to know what I can safely tow cross country or do I need to wait and get a 3/4 ton SUV.
Yeah, I saw that on there web site. interesting they can just change tow capacities like that.

We have the same SUV. I tow my 1968 28' no problems. dry weight now is around 4800lbs. I have also towed my friends Wide body 2004 28' safari that was about 6000 lbs dry, I think. We had no problems what so ever. I towed it to Zion NP and back over the passes in Utah. I was able to go 75 mph up the passes no problems. I also have towed ours up many passes with plenty of power left. He tows with a 3/4 ton suburban, which has the 8.2 litter, more power up the hills.

But what we did notice was, I didn't use my brakes as much as he does, the Sequoia has a better transmission, with the 6 speed and the 4.10 rear end.

Coming down highway 6 in Utah into the town of Helper last week, I didn't even use my brakes, just shifted between 3rd and 4th. If anyone has driven this road it's a pretty good grade all the way down... The Sequoia also has more passenger room than the Suburban, we have a family of 6 and fit no problem. Not as much room behind the 3rd row though. But way more room for passengers.

I just got back from a 3000 mile trip out west. No problems what so ever. The temp gages for the transmission and water never moved. Even when the outside temp was 106 and I was towing at 70mph. There are not many 3/4 ton suv's that can match the power of the toyota engine. We also now use the Andersen WD hitch. I had no sway even with high side winds.

I don't think you will have a problem with the right WD set up. The engine is the same as the Tundra and I think they have the same frame? Just that the Tundra has a solid back axle not independent like the Sequoia.

You won't lack for HP or Torque,

Though they may have changed the standards it doesn't mean it won't tow what it was originally designed to tow. Not sure what the new standards are, and why they would change them? And how changing them could affect an older SUV. Weird... We will buy another Sequoia in a few years, and keep towing loads above 6400 lbs because I know it can.

In fact I have towed 11,000 lbs worth of trailer and excavator form 5000 ft to 7000 ft in 11 miles. I went 55 mph and had some left. I also took it back down the hill with no problems braking. I wouldn't want to tow that from state to state, but the Sequoia has plenty of power.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Toyota changed the Sequoia towing ratings, they must want to sell more pickups. Are these ratings marketing tools or what?

The Sequoia is a stable passenger and towing vehicle. If unsure you can ensure/replace the Toyota tires with LT or XL rated tires for less sideways "wobble" with the trailer, and put on a Propride or Hensley hitch to eliminate any sway condition.

It's hard to imagine a 3/4 ton SUV can be safer than what you have.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It is a new VOLUNTARY rating system that is performance based instead of mechanically (engineering based). Ford and GM are expected to do the same in 2014. Don't know about Dodge.

It is a speed test up a specific hill out west somewhere....I forget where. It will tell you at what trailer load the vehicle will maintain a standard speed (I think it is 60mph, but it was awhile ago that I read it). There's more to it than that but that's it in a nutshell. I personally don't like it.

I want to know what a truck is capable of...engineering/durability/safety wise. I don't need to go 60mph up a mountain pass. I need to know will the truck operate safely and for a long time under a given load.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Tow Ratings Finally Pass the Sniff Test - The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - Automobile Magazine
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
It is a new VOLUNTARY rating system that is performance based instead of mechanically (engineering based). Ford and GM are expected to do the same in 2014. Don't know about Dodge.

It is a speed test up a specific hill out west somewhere....I forget where. It will tell you at what trailer load the vehicle will maintain a standard speed (I think it is 60mph, but it was awhile ago that I read it). There's more to it than that but that's it in a nutshell. I personally don't like it.

I want to know what a truck is capable of...engineering/durability/safety wise. I don't need to go 60mph up a mountain pass. I need to know will the truck operate safely and for a long time under a given load.
That grade-speed test is a single attribute of several that the rating system will include, and the manufacturers will do their testing I'm pretty sure. So, if Ford knows there are durability problems above a certain load, etc. they'll be welcome to derate to that level to save warranty costs, etc.

The standard has minimum acceleration requirements, maximum braking distance requirements, grade launch requirements, handling performance requirements and maximum hitch deformation requirements in addition to the cruise-speed-up-grade test.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And the formulation of the "standard" ignored what it didn't want to address. J2807 is okay to compare across a line of vehicle types, but don't believe that it is comprehensive for towing especially travel trailers. It is as much a marketing tool as anything.

Weight is not the first consideration of whether a particular travel trailer can be towed. The design and construction of the TT in question is more important.

And the same is so for the TV. It isn't about TV weight or payload capacity or wheelbase. They have their role in ascertaining "best choice" of TV as, again, design & construction mean more.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I tow with a 2008 Tundra 5.7L 2WD with the tow package. I am quite happy with it, although my 66TW weighs less than 5,000 lbs loaded. If they lowered the tow rating on the Sequoia from 9,100 lbs to 6,400 lbs, I would be curious what the Tundra tow rating is this year. If they did not lower it significantly, what part of the new performance standard necessitated lowering the Sequoia tow rating and yet not the Tundra tow rating. It would seem they are similar vehicles in terms of power, handling and braking.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1/2 ton