Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Towing with 2006 Range Rover

Question, I am planning on towing 2007 Safari 25 (approx 6,000 lbs loaded) with a 2006 Range Rover (rated 7,716 lbs with braked trailer). This will be a trip out west, is this adequate?
Thanks in advance,
Greg
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Make sure of range rating

Greg,

Check your manual closely to verify the tow capacity. I know in the past, Rover used to rate their tow capacities IN LOW RANGE! My buddy was an engineer there and we used to laugh about it. Sure, they'd pull that much, but 45mph was about the max speed. You'll just want to make sure your rating is for that much in high range on the transfer case.

Wheelbase is kinda short on the Rovers for pulling a travel trailer that big. You'll want to make sure you have a good hitch with proper weight distribution bars. As well, make sure you've got good brakes on the trailer. I think your trailer will weigh more than your tow vehicle and on some of the big hills out there, if your trailer brakes fade and that trailer starts shoving on your short wheel base (compared to a pickup or Suburban) Rover, things could get interesting.

Take care,
Old 05-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Unhappy Overloaded Big Time

A new (heavier) 25' Airstream borders on the 3/4-ton tow vehicle range. Some flatlanders swear that they can do it with a 1/2-tonner -- maybe with the largest engines and the HD designation (eg, Chev/GMC HD trucks). I looked at the numbers and sold a beefy Nissan Titan and converted to a 3/4-ton truck when I got my 25' FB Safari SE. 4.4L or 4.2L supercharged engine with Range Rover? It says something when the website doesn't give all the specs you want to hear about -- so you tell me -- what does your manual say the load capacity is for your Range Rover?

On KBB the difference between the 4.2L supercharged Range Rover GVWR & curb weight is 992 pounds. That is also called the payload capacity, or the maximum weight loading you can put in or on this tow vehicle. Did the Range Rover come with a Class III hitch or did you have that added? Subtract the weight increase from payload if you did. Your payload represents the full weight of fuel, people, pets, Wii, and tongue weight you can put aboard the Range Rover -- it is better yet if you don't exceed 80-85% of any of the max specification for towing!

Realize that a 2005 or later 25' Safari tongue weight with weight distribution gear and full LP on the A-frame will have a tongue weight closer to 900# before you start loading the trailer -- more if you have the highly desirable LS package with the spare tire up front. You are at maximum payload capacity for this vehicle hitched up without any people aboard - not even a driver. Sorry, but this is a no can do.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Thanks

Thanks so much for your feedback. I talked myself out of it and just bought a Tundra Crew Cab. Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
There have been several posts about Range Rover. I have a 2007 Land Rover Sport and I don't recommend its use as a tow vehicle.If you check I think you will find the tongue weight on you vehicle is inadequate, even though the weight rating be appropriate. Also the Rover is not suited for pulling this weight regardless of claims. It lacks the suspension and other common towing requirements that you will find in American trucks. If you have the auto suspension that can lower the vehicle that can also be a problem.The vehicle is not wired for a brake controller but they may be able to figure it out.For safety purposes I recommend a truck and a Hensley Hitch.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:47 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag
Thanks so much for your feedback. I talked myself out of it and just bought a Tundra Crew Cab. Thanks again!
Will be curious to see how the Tundra does for you. I too had looked at the Tundra but nixed the idea when I saw the limited load capacity it too had compared to the 3/4 ton US made trucks.

Adding the weight of my 34's tongue weight and weight of an A.R.E. cap I had just about maxed out the Tundra. And that's without adding passengers, fuel etc.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:06 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Tundra v. Rover

Quote:
I think that with the 5.7L engine you will be fine. This is a very good choice, but I think that when you get into larger rigs than yours the Diesel/American options are the way to go.

As for rovers, I think they can be good options for vintage units but not new rigs. The weight of the new units is an issue. I have a disco II, which is a much different truck than the new "dusty road only" LR3 versions being produced today. The big difference is full body on frame versus unibody. The new LR3 is good for hauling your trash to the curb or leaves to the dump but not hauling a modern camper.

Good luck. Good choice of tow vehicles.

D

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
A new (heavier) 25' Airstream borders on the 3/4-ton tow vehicle range. Some flatlanders swear that they can do it with a 1/2-tonner ....
What does "flatlanders" mean?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Folks that live in places that are FLAT........like Florida, Kansas or Lubbock, TX (Keep Lubbock FLAT!)

It usually refers to the lack of vertical terrain like HILLS or MOUTAINS.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Or a popular t-shirt from a few years back: Ski North Dakota

Yukionna, better me than you being from a generation of high schoolers who had to read about this 2 dimensional world (math or english assignment? or both?):

Name:   Flatland.jpg
Views: 2323
Size:  16.6 KB

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #11
Bambi Hunter

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Los Angeles , California
Argo w/ my Disco...

Thanks Doug,
There appears to be hope from my TV. I have a 2000 Disco II that I plan to use for my 6.0 Minuet. I'm seeking opinions to see if the Disco II will be adequate. Thanks.

Tim
Tim Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Question, I am planning on towing 2007 Safari 25 (approx 6,000 lbs loaded) with a 2006 Range Rover (rated 7,716 lbs with braked trailer). This will be a trip out west, is this adequate?
Thanks in advance,
Greg
To be frank....not in this lifetime.

Get another tow vehicle.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
kalispell , Montana
land rover towing

we have a range rover that is new and on air bags and it has not been very good towing heavy loads, doesnt feel stable at high speed. we also have a clasic that I switched to coil springs and although there isnt much power to pull heavy loads, it does better as far as stability. I am attributing this to the coil springs but dont really know for sure. I am looking for a better tow vehicle now, but have managed with an old suburban with 350 and an even older chevy diesel truck.

Robert Rahn
Kalispell, Mt.
06 25 safari
chaunceyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Just thought I would update this thread in case it might benefit someone in the future. We have the 25' Airstream Safari and Toyota Tundra with 5.7 engine. We have traveled the past 3 summers to Rocky Mountain NP, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Banff NP, Glacier NP and many other places along the way. The Tundra has been excellent for our purposes, we just returned from Yosemite and the Big Sur area and averaged approx. 10.8 mpg. (here are a couple pics from Yosemite).
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yosemite-Halfdome-from-Glacier-Point.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	105840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yosemite-Mirror-Lake.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	105841  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20100622_5339b.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	105842  
Old 06-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
Bambi Hunter

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Los Angeles , California
Thank you for the pics and update. What campground did you stay at in Yosemite? How far in advance did you make your reservations? If at a 1st-come-1st serve campground, what time did you arrive? We're headed there the week after July 4th.
We're planning a trip to Yellowstone for next summer. Would be very interested and appreciative to get any pointers you may have regarding a trip there as well. Thanks so much!

Tim
Tim Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Tim,
We stayed in the north pines campground in Yosemite Valley. I was able to get a site for 3 nights about 30 days in advance, then after that by being at the registration office by 6:30 am (it opens at 8am) I was able to extend my stay day by day. For us it was much more convenient to stay in the valley.

The last time we went to Yellowstone we actually stayed just outside of the western border of the park in a little town called West Yellowstone, next time we will probably stay in the park instead. We also really enjoyed the Black Hillls, Custer State Park and Glacier NP.

Have Fun!
Greg