Old 05-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1979 31' Excella 500
mckinney , Texas
Towing w/ Nissan Frontier 4x4-Help!

Hello Everyone, I am about to pick up my 1979 31' AS in about 10 days. I have a 2010 V6 4x4 truck with a tow package. It is rated at 6300lbs and the 31" Excella is around 5000lbs dry weight. Hitch weight is 630 and I believe the Excella is rated at 560. I am within the parameters. My hitch is 18" inches from the ground. The trailer also has sway bars and load leveling, and the Excella has electric vacum disc breaks. Do I need anything else besides the 7 prong hookup? I read somewhere about a break controller. I am only pulling this to some property, but the trip is over 600 miles. Please advise. Newby, Eric

Further99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I believe you do not have enough truck to pull this load. You should never exceed 80% of your tow vehicle's tow capacity or you can be at risk of the trailer overpowering the tow vehicle. You absolutely need a brake controller so the trailer can help you stop it when you apply the brakes on your vehicle. If you are towing where it is relatively level and take it real easy, you will most likely be able to do it with your tow vehicle. Just DO NOT load the Airstream with water and anything that will increase the dry weight.

Good luck

dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
1979 31' Excella 500
mckinney , Texas

Thanks Dennis, I did the math and the dry weight is at 80%, but you might be right. I am parking the airstream on some property, so I won't be pulling it again. I might just have someone else tow it down. That might be the best way to go. Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any ideas, I would like to hear them, or if you knoe a good way to ship. E
Further99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Those vacuum disc brakes could be very expensive to get working for a single trip. You'll need to run a vacuum line from the engine to the tongue of the trailer, as well as install a brake controller. It might be better if you got somebody with a bigger truck to tow it this one time, especially if the brakes don't work.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
1 Rivet Short
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island

Get one of your Buddies with a full size truck to tow that for you and buy him a case of beer...and then help him drink it.

You will both be better off for it...

Heck, I'd do it it if I were close enough...where are you?
(Current beverage of choice = Flemish Sour Ales...)

Edit; OK you're in another Country...sorry, or I would pull it for you...

*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote