Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
san antonio , Texas
Question Towing vehicle question

Will a 2000 Ford F150 XL V8 tow a 25' Safari. It is within the towing capacity, but what would be the drawbacks. The F150 has only 37,500 miles on it and has been well cared for. Intention is to put in brake controller and use the sway bars. Don't plan on crossing the great divide or anything, but there are some hills in our part of Texas. What else should I be checking out on the tv? Does anyone currently use this tv? I know this question has probably been covered before, but just can't find previous posts.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Consider payload and rear axle weight limits.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sounds like a a decent truck. Get a good sway control/weight distribution hitch, brake controller, and XL (extra load) rated tires and ensure the hitch receiver on the truck is adequate. Drive it at reasonable speed, shift down both up and down steep grades, don't use overdrive and it should provide weekend towing chores and an occasional trip.

Everyone's expectations are different so don't set them too high.

doug k
Old 05-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
The Airstream weights PDF circulating around shows a 2003 25' Safari as 4920 empty 680 hitch 6300 gross & 17.75" hitch-ball height; my copy does not list 2004 models.

I have a 1999 standard cab short bed 5.4L F-150 and my 27' weights are a little lighter than yours - 4570 empty 500 hitch 6300 gross & 19.5" hitch-ball height. I saw 9.5 to 11.5mpg on my last long trip.

Going above #500 hitch tongue weight (TW) usually means upgrading the hitch receiver to Class 4, you're lucky (or smart ) if the existing hitch TW and capacity is greater already - and going with a solid forged ball-mount shank (#800/1000 rated) and a similar rated ball with ball shank at least 2-1/4" long. etc. Keeping the ball-mount pin hole to center of ball hole length to a minimum (some are exaggerated length) will improve handling fractionally but at the same time reduce clearance when approaching a jack-knife angle.

Anyhow; the #630 hitch weight is getting up there enough that weight distribution bars would be appreciated, yes, there is excess payload capacity and all that but that's 630 pounds beyond the bumper and putting some serious leverage on handling characteristics... as in, with my short wheelbase, occasionally there is tail-wagging-the-dog feedback and a want-to-go-straight at highest highway speeds sensation which is white-knuckle time.

Maybe boost the front tire pressure some to firm up those sidewalls so the side-to-side 'rocking' is quenched.. Have the brake controller adjusted for the road surface you'll be driving over, the 15 miles of shale chips getting to the 'Lake' want a different setting.. Keep the break-away circuit in mind, charged battery and free clearances on the cable.. Never underestimate the prankster lifting the latch lock at a truck-stop, inspect before moving every time the vehicle goes unattended.

Beyond that there is only a few hundred items of concern, can't say I hit all of them. Mostly it's when in doubt ASK!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The drawbacks are really just the limits of any vehicle... the bigger the motor, the easier it works when towing. Your Ford will do just fine, but will likely spend a lot of time in lower gears when climbing. I would add a transmission cooler if it doesn't already have one.

It sounds like a good solid truck to start out with, and if you find the performance isn't what you want, the only real big jump up is getting into a diesel, or perhaps the Eco Boost V6. Any other gasser is going to be somewhat the same...
Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
san antonio , Texas
Can I tell by looking at the hitch receiver if it is a Class 4? My father used the truck to haul his boat, but it was a bass boat and not that heavy. Also, Wabbiteer, you mentioned adjusting a brake controller for the type of road. Say for instance a gravel or shell road, would it need to be more loose or tighter? I keep the latch locked on the trailer hitch. Friday, is a transmission cooler something mechanical that is added? I'm giving away my "lack of knowledge" aptitude, but never had to worry about these things as husband has always handled the technical stuff.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Judybug: A transmission cooler is a little radiator that goes in the transmission fluid line. Lots of older base-model automatics just ran the line through part of the engine's radiator, so to those you'd add a small radiator that mounts near the engine radiator so that air flows across the heat exchanger when you're moving.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Tow capacity - If an OEM factory hitch the data should be in your vehicles documentation, if its aftermarket you need to find the hitch data label or stamped part number and cross-reference it on the Manf's website. Rating limits should be stamped conspicuously on ball shank, ball and hitch frame.

When you get the brake controller the manual will spell out something like "The power should never be set high enough to cause trailer brakes to lock up. Skidding trailer wheels can cause loss of directional stability of trailer and tow vehicle." Might not seem like much until the chip & tar gravel road goes to chip over clay and is counter-banked toward the your standard Wilie E Coyote ravine.

A trans cooler shunts the fluid to the front grill into an extra radiator using no extra power. Not very important for teeny trips or daily driving but long ranging in heat with mountains might save the day.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Also... if your truck doesn't have a transmission cooler, it probably doesn't have a transmission temperature gauge... both are very handy to let you know when the truck is working too hard and it's time to slow down... They aren't very expensive...