Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges
Hi RoccoJohn,

I did the research on this just like you are doing. Way to go, it will pay off. I personally use a Chevy 2500 HD Diesel to tow a 28 foot CCD.

Glad I have it, it's a great combination. Lots of people state the 1/2 ton trucks will do fine. I don't have any experience with that but it makes sense. I just like having the extra capacity.

Good luck in your search. This topic always brings out the politeness and thougtfulness of the Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Toyota/Nissan pick up truck owners. We are a very pensive bunch who never react too strongly.

I kid of course, a lot.
John
We also have used Chevy 2500 HD diesels to tow our 28' CCD. We have no regrets, as we get 14 to 16 mpg towing when we keep the speed at 60 mph.

I don't have any experience towing it yet with a gas truck or a 1/2 ton. I may have an opportunity this year to use a 1/2 ton truck to test out towing. I will post my results.

AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #16
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
My prior experience in pulling our 28'CCD was with a 5.4l Expedition.
It would do the job, but, that engine struggled when I had a load of gear and/or the fresh water tank full. The shorter wheel base allowed the trailer to move the TV in a cross wind. The ease of towing now is like night and day. We would never go back.

Tom

Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #17
GaRoc

2011 27 FB International
Dawsonville , Georgia
Thanks to all who replied to my post.

Thanks all for the advice re pulling a 28 AS with a Ford 150.
After reading and considering all, I probably will go with an F250 diesel instead of the F150.
I can't seem to go anywhere without taking everything I own with me - haven't yet learned to pare down to bare minimum supplies - so with that in mind I guess I'll be better off with a larger tow and load capability than I can get with the F150.
Again - thanks to all.
RoccoJohn
Cape Coral, Florida
Old 05-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #18
sbrock3

2004 28' International CCD
Long Beach , California
I use a VW Touareg with the twin turbo V10 diesel and have no problems with speed or handling. It is all wheel drive with air suspension capable of 11" of lift. As a bonus it's silver, looks great with the 28 CCD.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrock View Post
I use a VW Touareg with the twin turbo V10 diesel and have no problems with speed or handling.
Nice! A stump puller with style. I have never seen one of these twin turbo diesel T-regs. Could be they are not available up here in Canada.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoJohn View Post
I am considering buying a 2008 CCD International with a loaded weight of about 7,500 pounds. Live in Florida and summer in mountains in Colorado.
Must purchase a new tow vehicle as well, and will try to stay with Ford.
Can a 300 h.p. F150 do the job?
I went thru a similar decision process last fall when I moved up from a lighter weight SOB to our present 2005 Classic 30' (dry wt about 7800 I think)

At the time I had a Sierra 4x4 extended cab half ton with 4.11 diff.

I debated long and hard whether to keep the half ton or move to something larger.

I did tow the new trailer home from Ohio with our half ton, and it was not too bad, although the terrain was pretty flat.

In the end I decided that since this will likely be our last rig, I wanted to do things right and followed the advice of most of the folks on this forum,
buying a new Sierra 2500HD 4x4 crew cab diesel as well as a Hensley Arrow for good measure.

Our first trip was 7500 miles to California and back this winter and I could not imagine a better handling setup - absolutely happy with my decision!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #21

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
I use a VW Touareg with the twin turbo V10 diesel and have no problems with speed or handling. It is all wheel drive with air suspension capable of 11" of lift. As a bonus it's silver, looks great with the 28 CCD.
Hi there,
I've almost decided on my airstream - 28ft International or a 34 ft Panamerica...whichever I get the best deal on. However, since I currently own an Element and a Prius, I need to get a TV that can pull 7300-7700lbs. I don't want to get a truck since we travel with 3 dogs - all of us cramped in a crew cab or super cab is NOT appealing...so I've decided a SUV is the best choice; however, gas mileage is super important to us - I'm very intrigued by the Toureg - never would've guessed it could do the job, I noticed that you have the V10...they've discontinued it, but say that the 2010 TDI can haul 7700 lbs. Do you have any thoughts on it?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
You tell them Bro! Just ordered my 25 footer Classic - towed my friends 25 foot Flying Cloud up and down the 15 and local Mt. Palomar - NO ISSUES and she was a DREAM!!!

Gonna drive cross county next month to pick up my Brand New 25 footer Classic - Can't Wait!!!

BTW - 2010 TDI - more than over 400 lbs torque - LOVE ME T-REX!!!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by madairstream View Post
Hi there,
I've almost decided on my airstream - 28ft International or a 34 ft Panamerica...whichever I get the best deal on. However, since I currently own an Element and a Prius, I need to get a TV that can pull 7300-7700lbs. I don't want to get a truck since we travel with 3 dogs - all of us cramped in a crew cab or super cab is NOT appealing...so I've decided a SUV is the best choice; however, gas mileage is super important to us - I'm very intrigued by the Toureg - never would've guessed it could do the job, I noticed that you have the V10...they've discontinued it, but say that the 2010 TDI can haul 7700 lbs. Do you have any thoughts on it?
You're not actually considering pulling a Panamerica (or a 28' International for that matter) with a SUV? The Panamerica's dry weight is 7300 lbs, not to mention how long it is....

Why not get a truck with a cap so the dogs can travel there?

We pull a 28' International with a Ford F-150 Platinum SuperCrew - very nice to travel in, and we've been pleased with it. Our previous truck (another F-150) had a cap, and we put the dogs back there.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome..

Quote:
Originally Posted by madairstream View Post
Hi there,
I've almost decided on my airstream - 28ft International or a 34 ft Panamerica.. however, gas mileage is super important to us
You may have to compromise a little on the mpg parameter of your decision,
especially if the PA is a serious option. Although mpg is a consideration in the Airstream Experience IMHO you must consider other savings in your travels.
On board dining, shelter, and the pleasure of having all you need tagging along behind you.

For us it more than makes up for our 11.0 mpg average!!

A SUITABLE tow vehicle is a major factor in a happy Airstream Adventure.

Happy Streams....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #25

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I think that you need to be realistic about the actual weight that you are going to have to pull and the real tongue weight with full LP tanks and a hitch system like a Hensley installed.

Our 2005 25FB weighed out at 7420#. This weight was done with the unhitched trailer weighed by itself. The static tongue weight came in at 1260#. This was done with a level trailer and only the tongue on the scale plate.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #26
sbrock3

2004 28' International CCD
Long Beach , California
I have towed my 04 28" CCD for two years with the 06 Touareg TDI V 10 diesel. The diesel-fed 310 horsepower and 553 ft.-lbs. of torque at 2000 rpm will pull anything. VW rated all Touaregs at 7700 lbs tow capacity due to the unibody chassis not power considerations. I found this to be true. The wheelbase is a little to short in adverse conditions (wind). I was never presented with an out of control issue, it was just a little unsettling passing on the open road in the wind. I just bought a Ford F150 Platinum 4X4 with the max tow package, trailer brake, and anti sway package. The max rating is over 11,000 lbs. You would really have to overload your trailer to come close to that. In summary; define what your trailer useage will be and then match it to your tow vehicle. If you are going to spend the better part of your year towing it around go whole hog and get a diesel superduty F250 but if you will tow it a few times a year, get something that will do the job and be easier to live with on your daily commute. There is no one clear answer to this age old question.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Our 2005 25FB weighed out at 7420#. This weight was done with the unhitched trailer weighed by itself. The static tongue weight came in at 1260#. This was done with a level trailer and only the tongue on the scale plate.

Brian
What the heck has Airstream done with the ballooning weights???
That kind of weight for an 25' aluminum trailer is just crazy!

Our 23' (actually 24') has a dry weight of "half" of what your 25' weights and a tongue weight (which I consider heavy) of 570lbs.

Unbelievable!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Reality sux...

It's crazy RR... but it is reality.

I have had a trlr weight of 7820, with a tongue of 1225, not at all like the daze of old, hopefully this will change...keep breathing though.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote