Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Look at the BARS on the WD hitch. Clearly, either they are the wrong bars for the wt trailer... OR... they are incorrectly adjusted and not doing the work for which intended. That hitch setup is just wrong for towing and has nothing to do with the camera lens.

He may have been sold a WD hitch needlessly. An ordinary ball hitch would do better than that.

(Anti sway would certainly be a good idea with such a short wheelbase TV.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I forgot to add one other detail, the geometry of a Wrangler help make up for it being small in many ways. There is so little overhang behind the rear axle, this decreases the lever effect of the hitch on the rear of the vehicle...if you compare that to many other SUVs or even full size trucks where the hitch can be several feet behind the axle, on the Wrangler th point of the weight transfer to the vehicle is conveniently close to the axle. If you relocate the spare tire you can use a shorter "stinger", or ball mount, that reduces that even further...of course you have to figure out what to do with that spare.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #43

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I have a late model Rubicon 2 door, I wouldn't tow anything more than an 8' utility trailer with it.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Sahara will be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesander1 View Post
I have a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Wish I'd sprung for the Rubicon but you live and you learn.

Anyway I'm considering purchasing a 16' Sport from the dealership next week (been thinking and researching for 2 months) and after reading everything I could find on here about Jeep tow ratings and pulling 16 foot Airstreams in particular I still haven't heard anyone specify that a Sahara can or can't do the job as well as a Rubicon.

Basically I want some reassurance that I won't have to do some seriously expensive modifications to pull this trailer. Does anyone feel like giving me some advice on what I actually NEED vs. what just makes for a smoother ride? If it wouldn't do any damage or add any unnecessary risk I'd like to start out with little to no modifications if possible then pay for some later as needed. I'm already stretching my finances buying this thing and I'm not going to be taking it out on the road immediately so I could always buy a better set up later. Any advice for a penny pincher? I don't want to sacrifice safety but I can deal with a little less stability if it means saving thousands of dollars.

--

On a sidenote, if anyone has any general advice for me I'd love to hear it. I am buying this 16' Sport because I live in San Francisco and rent is completely insane. Luckily I have found someone who will let me park my AS in their driveway (at least temporarily) and I basically live at my girlfriend's house anyway so it will function as a home away from home as well as a potential "doghouse" if I ever need another place to stay for a night or two. It's a long story. I don't want to move in with my gf yet but I can't afford to keep paying thousands of dollars for an apartment I barely use. I also can't afford to make the down payment on a house in SF so rather than throw my money away on rent I'm throwing it into an Airstream that I could later sell if need be for a down payment. And in the meantime I'll save my money instead of paying rent. It's the only way I could think to build equity in a city where real estate STARTS around $1 million.

There's also the fact that I love to travel. I plan on using the AS every chance I get. We snowboard/ski in Tahoe and surf in Santa Cruz, plus Jenna (my gf) loves wine country so it will save us hotel costs assuming we are able to boondock.
*Any boondocking advice is welcome. I know it's hard, just not sure HOW hard.

Unfortunately I don't currently have a job where I can work remotely (I'm trying to fix that), so I'll need to stay in SF or in the Bay Area at least. That means storing it which is either very expensive to store it in a covered, secured location or it's slightly less expensive to store it in a weather-and-criminal-exposed driveway. The only place I've found to store it so far is the latter, in a pretty shady area of the Mission district. I've researched different security systems but would love advice on this as well. So far "Pro-Tec PTS-2C" seems to be highly-recommended, I don't know if Viper offers something trailer-specific (I need to look harder). That would be the most convenient for me because my jeep already has a great Viper system (hopefully the two would work in conjunction with one another).
I may need to ask these questions on a different forum. This may not exactly be the place since only the first half is jeep-related. Sorry for the long post, I've obviously got a lot to figure out still. It's either a really bad idea or it's a really good idea I don't know which but I'd love some input. Please be brutally honest with me.
I think you will be fine with a Sahara. Go to Chrysler ( I mean FCA North America, LLC ) website and there is a area where you can enter in your VIN of your Jeep, and it will tell you your axle ratio. Maybe you will be in good shape and have a 3.73, or even better 3:93 or a 4.10.
If you have a 4:10 that will surely help you on the hills. At least you will know if its trading time : )
hey Xipper, I have a 1998 TJ wrangler with the straight six and a 3.73. Mine is a 'Sport' , from before the 'Rubicons'. Runs like a champ. 131K mile. I have owned it since 2002, it had 40k on it when we bought it.
Solid axles, it has a Dana 44 rear axle and Dana 30 on the front. ( Yeah, I swapped the rear axle)
I pull a utility trailer and my motorcycle trailer with it, (not at the same time) no problems. I do stay away from the larger hills and mountains nearby

We bought a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited last year. It has Dana 44's front & back, 3.73s. Yeah I could have gotten the 4.10's or 4.56,
but the 3.73 is just fine. Besides I can't pull a 28 International with a Jeep !

Now when they put that V6 Diesel in Wrangler unlimited, you will have a puller ! \ I would have to get one of those,
Then Three Jeeps ?
Have a good one !
Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Kalamazoo , Michigan
We tow our 2017 16 with a lifted 08 JKU. Does awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	948F7467-D977-4BCB-8397-5D0D2DA26685.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	292352  
PropWash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:26 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
For the San Francisco guy. If you live in a friends driveway where are you going to dump the black tank? Something to think about.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #47

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
For the San Francisco guy. If you live in a friends driveway where are you going to dump the black tank? Something to think about.

I think that was covered in the movie Christmas Vacation.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

San Francisco , California
Thank you so much! I appreciate the specificity most of all. I took notes on all your suggestions. If you or anyone has anything to add please do, I'm probably actually gonna get the Prodigy RF after what you said, what I've read and for the fact that it allows for flexibility in terms of switching tow vehicles since it uses an RF remote. And it has some cool features like auto-adjust braking and zero-delay brake activation. Great advice, thanks!
mikesander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:50 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I think that was covered in the movie Christmas Vacation.
Nice! Just hope he doesn't smoke.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Use a Sewer Solution and run it through a door/window and down a toilet past the air gap? Assuming you can't find a clean out.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:44 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

San Francisco , California
I took my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (automatic) to Lake Tahoe and it really struggled going up the hills. Started smelling smoke and had to pull off multiple times. It was really cold out so I open the hood to cool the engine in case it was overheating and slowly crept my way to the ski resort (35 mph MAX is ~12% grade hills. I've got so much misinformation recently about the towing capabilities of my Jeep that I honestly don't know who to believe. I found information on Jeep's own website and that led me to believe it only towed 2000 lbs but in the 2011 manual there is a chart that says the Jeep I have has a GVWR of 3500 lbs. Oddly, the standard-transmission version of the exact same Jeep has a GVWR of 2000 lbs. So it would appear I lucked out ...but my trip to Tahoe tells me otherwise. Does ANYONE have some advice for me? Someone suggested actually modifying my gear ratio and a few other tweaks which would only be about $2000 total but no one can promised me it will actually work. At this point I'm afraid to take it much farther than a day trip and I don't want to find out the hard way that the user manual had a typo that costs me a transmission. I'm admittedly not a genius with cars but I'm also not completely ignorant. I would be grateful to anyone who could point me in the right direction.
mikesander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:00 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesander1 View Post
I took my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (automatic) to Lake Tahoe and it really struggled going up the hills. Started smelling smoke and had to pull off multiple times. It was really cold out so I open the hood to cool the engine in case it was overheating and slowly crept my way to the ski resort (35 mph MAX is ~12% grade hills. I've got so much misinformation recently about the towing capabilities of my Jeep that I honestly don't know who to believe. I found information on Jeep's own website and that led me to believe it only towed 2000 lbs but in the 2011 manual there is a chart that says the Jeep I have has a GVWR of 3500 lbs. Oddly, the standard-transmission version of the exact same Jeep has a GVWR of 2000 lbs. So it would appear I lucked out ...but my trip to Tahoe tells me otherwise. Does ANYONE have some advice for me? Someone suggested actually modifying my gear ratio and a few other tweaks which would only be about $2000 total but no one can promised me it will actually work. At this point I'm afraid to take it much farther than a day trip and I don't want to find out the hard way that the user manual had a typo that costs me a transmission. I'm admittedly not a genius with cars but I'm also not completely ignorant. I would be grateful to anyone who could point me in the right direction.
What was the smoke smell? Opening the hood doesn't do much to cool an engine. Were all the gauges in the green?

You can tow with some Jeeps but 12% grade? I'd be a little worried about coming down the other side!

Hopefully you check out some of the Jeep forums for help. This forum may not be the best place to look for Jeep towing advice. Personally my last Wrangler was a TJ long wheelbase with a straight six; never cared much for the V6s or the little Diesels.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:21 AM   #53
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Mike

I towed a 25’ up 12 -18% grades with a Wrangler in summer heat with no issues.

The first time you make vehicle work hard a smell of smoke is normal. It is just the hotter exhaust burning undercoat and paint off a little further away.

Which transmission, gear ratio and tire size do you have on the Jeep?

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
There ya go!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
In the so-called "good ol' days".... standard transmissions were the heavy-duty towing equipment and automatics were not. But in THESE good ol' days.... it's the automatics which are almost ALWAYS specified in towing packages. They run cooler and pull heavier loads due to transmission coolers and better transmission designs.

You might confirm YOUR Wrangler is properly equipped by inspecting the "build sheet" and/or taking it to the dealer or visiting the factory website with your VIN number handy which can confirm your vehicle specifications.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #56

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I have the Rubicon package on mine(lower gearing) still not suited to tow anything larger than a small utility trailer.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #57
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Jeep JKU (4 dr Wrangler)

No problem towing a 22' Sport with a properly strengthened hitch receiver and Eaz-Lift WD and anti-sway bar - professionals installed and set up and fine tuned by Andy T at Can-AM RV.

2015 Jeep JKU, 3.6 litre Pentastar with automatic transmission, stock 32" tires, 3.73 differential.

The only downside was with a Jeep's small fuel tank refilling every 3-4 hours (about the same time I need a bio break anyway.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Addy + Jeep.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	300197
Old 12-03-2017, 10:34 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Of course, a definition of terms always should be considered in these kinds of discussions.

When someone asks about "towing capability"... they often are thinking only of the ability of the TV (tow vehicle) to PULL the trailer. Sometimes (not so often) they consider the STOPPING ability of the TV when a trailer is pushing it.

The REAL consideration should be the ability to GUIDE the trailer not only thru ordinary travels ... but also when headed down a twisting 7% grade and confronted with an ELK standing in the middle of a curve on a dark night. THAT is a completely different situation than merely pulling a 3K lb trailer down a level highway. Now you're faced with the reality of a relatively light TV with a short wheel-base bringing a lot of momentum trying to push the rear of the TV to the outside of a curve and to a stop without wreckage or injury.

Personally, I would not consider a Wrangler as a very capable TV for anything larger/heavier than a pop-up or small utility trailer of about 2K lbs. (and I'm a Jeep-lover with experience in owning several of them.)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
gearing

2011 model, hmmmmm, was that one with the older 3.8 motor ? I think you should check your gear ratio since it is a Sahara model. If you plan towing, regularly, you really need 4.10 gears or better. Maybe 4.56 if you plan on attacking the mountains. Tire size can help or hurt. 4.10 and a 32 inch tall tire,( which isn't that large) you should be able to pull pretty good, but your top speed in flats is lower.
Would you really want to tow over 60 mph with the Jeep? so that could be a wash. The Unlimited models are pretty heavy, so you may not have to much tail waggin the dog. Having that real frame helps.
I have 4.10's on my 'Rubi', top end is pretty low. But I didn't buy it run down the Interstate. I haven't towed anything with it.

Call Chrysler or whatever they are today, FCA, and give the nice lady your Vin number, She will tell you your gear ratio. If you plan on Towing I would investigate a new gear ratio, if you are 3.27, 3.55 or even 3.73 gear ratio. You want to think about a 4.10 or 4.56 gear ratio. Start there.
You won't be the fastest in long run, but you will pull better on hills, you will get the RPMS down in a manageable range nearer max torque, and most importantly not burn up the motor.
That three grand RPM going up hills use to wear me out, and annoy.
The new Jeep wranglers will have a diesel option, so think about that. I think a diesel Wrangler 4.10 or maybe a 3.73, especially if it is a seven or eight speed, that maybe nice.
Post back what gears you have and size of your tires, we maybe able to help, advise, annoy or at least its free
Old 12-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
2011 model, hmmmmm, was that one with the older 3.8 motor ? I think you should check your gear ratio since it is a Sahara model. If you plan towing, regularly, you really need 4.10 gears or better. Maybe 4.56 if you plan on attacking the mountains. Tire size can help or hurt. 4.10 and a 32 inch tall tire,( which isn't that large) you should be able to pull pretty good, but your top speed in flats is lower.
Would you really want to tow over 60 mph with the Jeep? so that could be a wash. The Unlimited models are pretty heavy, so you may not have to much tail waggin the dog. Having that real frame helps.
I have 4.10's on my 'Rubi', top end is pretty low. But I didn't buy it run down the Interstate. I haven't towed anything with it.

Call Chrysler or whatever they are today, FCA, and give the nice lady your Vin number, She will tell you your gear ratio. If you plan on Towing I would investigate a new gear ratio, if you are 3.27, 3.55 or even 3.73 gear ratio. You want to think about a 4.10 or 4.56 gear ratio. Start there.
You won't be the fastest in long run, but you will pull better on hills, you will get the RPMS down in a manageable range nearer max torque, and most importantly not burn up the motor.
That three grand RPM going up hills use to wear me out, and annoy.
The new Jeep wranglers will have a diesel option, so think about that. I think a diesel Wrangler 4.10 or maybe a 3.73, especially if it is a seven or eight speed, that maybe nice.
Post back what gears you have and size of your tires, we maybe able to help, advise, annoy or at least its free
That's exactly what I was sayin'.... people think towing is all about PULLING.... when it's also about STOPPING and STEERING. Changing that rear axle ain't gonna do a THING for SAFETY.