Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Before the FAA took my medical I flew my Beech Bonanza everywhere I needed to go. It trued out around 205 mph, so it didn't take long to get there.

Now I have to drive where I want to go. On business trips I usually drive 75 to 90 depending on traffic. I don't see the scenery, my attention is on the traffic.

When I'm pulling my AS I drive 60 to 65. It's amazing how much more relaxed I feel. I get to see scenery now. Joyce and I talk while we are on the road. It's a new experiece for me. I actually like it.

You guys here on the forum did this to me, and I'm enjoying it. Thanks Guys.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
My wife drives as much as I do towing so we routinely travel 12-14 hours per day if we have a long distance to cover. I want her to know everything towing and feel comfortable doing so.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'm not sure my wife will ever agree to tow....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I'm not sure my wife will ever agree to tow....

Without coming off sounding like the guy from #@%@ My Dad Says.....

you should find a four lane divided highway - non interstate and let her tow for 20-30 miles just to get used to the feel. and make sure that she knows how to hook up the trailer. She might need these skills some day and its better to know them ahead of time than to learn them in time of crisis.

Olga drove on one of our early outings and once she was behind the wheel she didn't find it daunting at all... now we have a 23 footer, so with a 30 foot bunkhouse... YMMV

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
55-65 depending on rain/wind-
Never over 65- the Marathon trailer tires are not rated for over 65-
61 seems to be where my Tundra and Classic want to be.
I got 13 mpg last week going to Texas at an average speed of 61. That is the best fuel mileage I have ever gotten towing and the least expensive gas I've seen in 9 years.
I got 10 mpg coming home from the same trip at the same speed. I guess the wind was against me.
I fueled up in Palestine, TX for $2.82 per gallon and in Vicksburg, MS for $2.80 per gallon. Since I have been home it has dropped to $2.77 here in Greenwood, MS.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
55-65 max depending on the speed limit- I never exceed the posted speed limit- not in a car with no trailer- not on my motorcycle-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Speeding (while keeping an eye out for law enforcement) is not my idea of a relaxing vacation. We normally make 400-500 miles a day when on the road, anything more seems too much like work to me.

WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A guy towed a 20 year old trailer with 10 year old trailer tires to the rally at 75 mph. He sure was lucky.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
One more note about the plan for my driving day, I will travel to Sioux Falls, SD, where I was raised, and this is about 1300 miles or two days, mostly Interstate driving. At 60 mph, 700 miles requires 11.7 hours in motion. If I shower, sleep, eat, from about 9 PM to 5 AM, this means I am not driving but, eating, napping, refueling, talking with strangers, or using the facilities for about 4.3 hours, and this is spread throughout my driving day. ON my GPS I noted one day I was stopped over 4 hours from the beginning of the day to parking in the truck stop.

This is great for simply getting to my destination but allows minimal time to see the sights. Although if i am off the Interstate, one of the primary reasons for returning to an Airstream from a moho, I have a few hours for photos and stuff.

My idea of all this travel activity is to have a good time. I kinda enjoy pulling a trailer, maybe I should have been a long distance trucker…LOL. I listen to audio books, Sirius/XM, and sometimes have just silence in the cab when on the road.

In addition to the two GPS units, radio, iPod, and iPhone, I have a rear view camera on my trailer, radar detector, and CB radio in the cab. All of this is to provide for me additional stimuli to assist in maintaing a high level of alertness. I drive with two hands on the wheel, and when in traffic situations turn off the entertainment so i can focus only on following the GPS instructions. The second GPS provides only additional trip data, speed, etc. in a "heads up" mode.

I am a believer in the idea as we gain in years, more attention needs to be paid to maintaing full awareness of what is going on when driving. I also mirror scan, which includes the rear camera so i am not surprised by the Prevost buses coming by at 70+ mph…..

Be well...
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
One more note about the plan for my driving day, I will travel to Sioux Falls, SD, where I was raised, and this is about 1300 miles or two days, mostly Interstate driving. At 60 mph, 700 miles requires 11.7 hours in motion. If I shower, sleep, eat, from about 9 PM to 5 AM, this means I am not driving but, eating, napping, refueling, talking with strangers, or using the facilities for about 4.3 hours, and this is spread throughout my driving day. ON my GPS I noted one day I was stopped over 4 hours from the beginning of the day to parking in the truck stop.

This is great for simply getting to my destination but allows minimal time to see the sights. Although if i am off the Interstate, one of the primary reasons for returning to an Airstream from a moho, I have a few hours for photos and stuff.

My idea of all this travel activity is to have a good time. I kinda enjoy pulling a trailer, maybe I should have been a long distance trucker…LOL. I listen to audio books, Sirius/XM, and sometimes have just silence in the cab when on the road.

In addition to the two GPS units, radio, iPod, and iPhone, I have a rear view camera on my trailer, radar detector, and CB radio in the cab. All of this is to provide for me additional stimuli to assist in maintaing a high level of alertness. I drive with two hands on the wheel, and when in traffic situations turn off the entertainment so i can focus only on following the GPS instructions. The second GPS provides only additional trip data, speed, etc. in a "heads up" mode.

I am a believer in the idea as we gain in years, more attention needs to be paid to maintaing full awareness of what is going on when driving. I also mirror scan, which includes the rear camera so i am not surprised by the Prevost buses coming by at 70+ mph…..

Be well...

I agree

This post makes me wanna get out and travel!

Also - one thing that drives me nuts - my dear wife does not enjoy even moderately loud music - for that I out on Bose headphones and jam out for those times I have the need for that

I have not tried audiobooks yet - would like that but doubt my kids would (pesky things they are )

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Fatigue is an interesting phenomenon. Stress induced fatigue is easily understood but there is also fatigue due to boredom. Back in the days of the oil crisis, when speed limits were imposed at 55 I noticed that it was hard to stay awake at such a low speed. At the time I didn't have a trailer to tow. My '69 Chevy van was happier at 65. Now, towing my 24 Argosy, 60-65 is exciting enough thank you. My fuel economy goes south at anything over 65.
Another thing to consider is that as speed is increased, options for evasive action decrease. Serious evasive action is not even an option when towing. Being able to stop is your safest avoidance play. It takes 33% more distance to stop from 65 than from 55. It takes 17% more distance to stop from 70 than from 65. Leaving that kind of extra space is almost an exercise in futility as other thoughtless drivers think nothing of occupying it. Best way to maximize your options and keep the shiny side up is to slow down.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
All good advice here Beatrix. Here is a little more into for you if you want to exceed 65 with your Marathons.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=219
If you understand what the Tire Rack is saying here and want to exceed 65, you will need to look up the "inflation/load" figures for your Marathons and know the actual weight of your trailer. From there you can figure what inflation pressure is needed to carry your trailer weight and if you still have room for 10 more PSI before reaching the tire's sidewall listed max. (Example: 65 PSI max for "D" rated GYMs) (if you are going to run your Marathons at max sidewall pressure listing, you are probably alright for another 10 mph, but you only know by doing the numbers.)
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
Final thought, buy a set of TPMS for the trailer tires- I have "Tire Minder" a good brand. Knowing inflation and Temp at all times, priceless.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote