Old 07-22-2004, 11:46 PM   #1
The Sh*tt*r's Full!
1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Towing Problems

My vehicle keeps overheating when I tow, and I keep going through tires...

Don't understand this...

It's a Jeep Cherokee 4cyl with 4wd and manual tranny. I've got 22 inch spinner wheels on it with ultra low profile tires... It's also got a lift kit on it, raised up 8 inches from normal. It's a sweeeet lookin ride.

I figured I could tow my new-to-me 27 foot Overlander with her, but I can't get more than a few miles down the road without overheating... I tried to tow it 100 miles and burnt my clutch out and three tires on my vehicle blew out...

Also, the bumper is almost down to the ground after the attempted 100 mile tow. Surely I don't need one of those receiver hitches, do I?

Also, it won't go more than 15 up a hill and 45 to 55 on a straight-away. I can get 70 going down hill, but it's quite unstable feeling????

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do? Getting ready to tow her from Texas to Maine and was really hoping to use the jeep for that.

dbtolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:51 AM   #2
The Sh*tt*r's Full!
1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas

Oh, by the way... I'm not really that stupid.

Just giving an opportunity for some laughs...

My tow vehicle is actually quite capable and safe.

dbtolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 04:46 AM   #3
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin

p.s. you forgot to mention the interferance the neon under body lighting causes on the 500 watt stereo!
you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 04:48 AM   #4
1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
You had me going at 5:30 this morning before my usual cup of coffee. I was thinking, Man! It takes all kinds. I've heard it all now. Surely this fellow isn't that dumb that he thinks he can tow with that vehicle's final drives altered like that. I also looked at your trailer on another thread. You sure have your work cut out. Keep us posted. Thanks for the laugh.
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:19 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado

I too sometimes have problems with our other alternate tow vehicle. Sometimes when I want to move the trailer ( '70 International ) around town I use the '95 B2300 Mazda pick up that we have since it turns in tight places real good. The mirrors are the stock ones mounted by the factory so I must weave a little to see down the sides of the trailer due to their size.

And, due to some of the hills here in Colo Spgs I make sure of which route I take. I have a regular route from our place out to Payton where I keep the trailer even tho it is a little longer. I have noticed that I have no need for 4th or the 5th gears.
I'm glad the trailer tongue weight is only some 450 lbs. To keep the rear bumper from appearing to low I take out the storage bin with tools and the such when I pull the trailer ( this helps with the load weight even tho it is a bear to get the bin back up in the truck ).

Rodger & Gabby
Colo Spgs
Rodger with a D is offline   Reply With Quote