Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We ran pickup trucks with 20k GCVWR at over 30k in the South Texas oilfield. They still lasted over 300k.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
Making The Leap

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. After much analysis, I have decided to go ahead and get the 25 footer. I came in at the tongue weight max, but will upgrade my current E-qualizer hitch which I have been very happy with. That company was wonderful in responding to my inquiries about my situation. The GCWR came in with about 600 lbs to spare considering what I put in the Tahoe, but I am used to keeping the trailer weight light due to the GCWR on the Bambi and only tow with a little fresh water so I will never max out the 7,300 lbs on the trailer which should give me another 1000 lbs. of leeway. I also consulted the most important man in my life, my mechanic, who has tons of experience with towing and was pretty comfortable with it. He said the same thing as many here did, get a good weight distribution hitch and don't speed. We will see! I am a bit exhausted from negotiating on the trailer but am looking forward to wintering in it. Now onto the solar system, I wish I could just put my current one one it. Happy trails everyone!
robi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
I am on my third AS and fourth TV. I have towed a 25 FB with a suburban and although it was very stable. I felt it was incredibly underpowered. When I traded for my 27' FB, I also traded for the 2014 Yukon Denali (short version). Plenty of power with the 6.2 but the all of the stability with the Suburban was gone. After our horrific accident in August of 14, insurance replaced both travel trailer and Denali. I never felt 'safe' towing with the Denali after that. Soon after, I purchased a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 pickup with full tow package. The difference has literally been night and day. I have a blue ox hitch and can honestly say that it is an absolute pleasure to drive and tow. No more issues when passed by an 18 wheeler, either. Also plenty of power. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that are happy with their Tahoe's and Yukon's. However, I would venture to guess that many have never towed with a pickup. Maybe the difference isn't the same with a shorter trailer but personally, I would never chance a shorter wheelbase TV again.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's not the wheelbase or the TV weight. It's all in the lash-up.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Towing Performance of a Tahoe with a 25 ft. Trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
It's not the wheelbase or the TV weight. It's all in the lash-up.

I kindly disagree with this statement.A longer wheelbase vehicle is a more stable platform for towing,especially with longer trailers.Weight also plays its part.
A properly set up WD hitch helps but is not a cure all for towing situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Wheelbase. This past year we have towed our Airstream cross country with 120" wheelbase and 140" wheelbase Ram 1500 trucks hitched with our ProPride hitch. No difference in stability, two finger on the steering wheel control and comfort is all that's needed with either wheelbase truck.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Wheelbase. This past year we have towed our Airstream cross country with 120" wheelbase and 140" wheelbase Ram 1500 trucks hitched with our ProPride hitch. No difference in stability, two finger on the steering wheel control and comfort is all that's needed with either wheelbase truck.

You could pull with a riding lawnmower and have two finger steering wheel control.Lol

Old 06-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Maybe I could have 2 finger steering wheel control, but feel more in control with both hands on the wheel at 10 and 2, doing push-pull on the wheel to maintain control and reduce speed in maneuvers.
I know this isn't a 1958 Peterbilt, but the push-pull principle still works.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I kindly disagree with this statement.A longer wheelbase vehicle is a more stable platform for towing,especially with longer trailers.Weight also plays its part.
A properly set up WD hitch helps but is not a cure all for towing situations.

Past about 120" wheelbase increases offer no significant change in measured stability. In fact, there is a point where it decreases. Same for weight above 4,000-lbs.

It's the lash up. Focus there. 90% of RVers don't.

Other factors about the TV (COG height, suspension sophistication, rear overhang, etc) make even more of a difference.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Lash up?
Tow vehicle/trailer coupling?
Weight distribution/anti-sway hitch?

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
It's the relative weight of the TV and the trailer that matters. Hence, a fixed 4000# number is meaningless. Same for 120 wheelbase.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Towing Performance of a Tahoe with a 25 ft. Trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Past about 120" wheelbase increases offer no significant change in measured stability. In fact, there is a point where it decreases. Same for weight above 4,000-lbs.

It's the lash up. Focus there. 90% of RVers don't.

Other factors about the TV (COG height, suspension sophistication, rear overhang, etc) make even more of a difference.

Where do you get this information that you are quoting here?
This is the opposite of everything I have been taught in General Motors medium and heavy duty truck certification classes.
Please tell us where your reference
information as I for one would be interested in reading this for myself.

I have over 40 years experience in the automobile business.I am a member of Chevrolet Legion of Leaders,Truck Hall of Honor,Certified in Medium and Heavy duty trucks sales GM motor division.Also I am a Certified ASE technician and a two time Midwest zone product knowledge winner for Chevrolet motor division.

I find your statement interesting to say the least.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
I finally got the new trailer. Major quality issues, but that is for another post. The Tahoe does just fine towing the 25 footer. I have towed it from Virginia to Akron Ohio, traveling rural narrow hilly roads, and the entire length of the painful Pa. turnpike with its grades and turns. There were significant gusts and heavy traffic. My trailer was one of the few not constantly swaying and I was able to pass and maintain the speed limit up grades and hills. Over the last week, I traveled to and from Northern Michigan with similar results. I can feel it back there on the grades, where I sort of forgot about the 19 footer, but it seems like the stability of the second axle outweighs the extra weight for a fine towing experience. If I were to get a new tow vehicle, I would probably go a little heftier, but feel no reason to make a switch.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Where do you get this information that you are quoting here?
This is the opposite of everything I have been taught in General Motors medium and heavy duty truck certification classes.
Please tell us where your reference
information as I for one would be interested in reading this for myself.

I have over 40 years experience in the automobile business.I am a member of Chevrolet Legion of Leaders,Truck Hall of Honor,Certified in Medium and Heavy duty trucks sales GM motor division.Also I am a Certified ASE technician and a two time Midwest zone product knowledge winner for Chevrolet motor division.

I find your statement interesting to say the least.

Agreed, as a 32 year veteran factory rep, with too much training to list.....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up If you want to......

.....increase the WB of your TV without buying a new one.

Get a receiver with longer moment arms.

Bob
Old 07-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
Thanks, but there is no issue at all with trailer handling. I think it is actually better, probably due to the second trailer axle. No need to make any changes now. Might go for a little more horsepower when it is time for a new tow vehicle, hopefully, a long time from now.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:26 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi View Post
Thanks to all for your helpful replies. After much analysis, I have decided to go ahead and get the 25 footer. I came in at the tongue weight max, but will upgrade my current E-qualizer hitch which I have been very happy with. That company was wonderful in responding to my inquiries about my situation. The GCWR came in with about 600 lbs to spare considering what I put in the Tahoe, but I am used to keeping the trailer weight light due to the GCWR on the Bambi and only tow with a little fresh water so I will never max out the 7,300 lbs on the trailer which should give me another 1000 lbs. of leeway. I also consulted the most important man in my life, my mechanic, who has tons of experience with towing and was pretty comfortable with it. He said the same thing as many here did, get a good weight distribution hitch and don't speed. We will see! I am a bit exhausted from negotiating on the trailer but am looking forward to wintering in it. Now onto the solar system, I wish I could just put my current one one it. Happy trails everyone!
Hi Robi - how has it been with the 25 and the Tahoe? I am considering pulling a 25FB globetrotter with a 2018 suburban.
Jason P M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
So glad you reached out. The Tahoe transmission left me stranded in BFE Oklahoma after a few months of towing the 25 ft. trailer. I should stress, I am really anal about all vehicle maintainance and my set up, so that was not the issue. This was my third trailer ao I am pretty careful about weight, etc. To that point, I always had a tow vehicle that was supposed to have about 1000 lbs to spare considering all the sporting equipment I put in the SUV. At the end of the day, I was always physically exhausted from managing the drive. Folks would say, "You are paying for your tow vehicle physically, as it just isn't suited to do this. Buy a truck that is designed for this." So I did. My trailer is 7300 lbs totally wet, I pack another 2000 in sporting equipment in the truck. My towing capacity on my truck now is 12,600. My towing world is so much better and I am kicking myself for straddling the line all those years, no more sore muscles and fatique at the end of the day or stress in the mountains, hair pin turns or gusty highways. What I have learned is that you can get by close to the limit, but you will pay for it in stress, muscle pains and repairs. If the tow vehicle is on the edge, so are you. I travel cross country, so if you are just going to your local state parks it probably will not be an issue. Happy trails!
Old 09-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Thanks Robi. I do plan to get a new suburban in the next year or so with the 6.2L 10 speed transmission. Not planning on conquering any big mountains with my 2018. Appreciate your feedback after using the Tahoe for a few years. Very helpful.
Jason P M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi View Post
So glad you reached out. The Tahoe transmission left me stranded in BFE Oklahoma after a few months of towing the 25 ft. trailer. I should stress, I am really anal about all vehicle maintainance and my set up, so that was not the issue. This was my third trailer ao I am pretty careful about weight, etc. To that point, I always had a tow vehicle that was supposed to have about 1000 lbs to spare considering all the sporting equipment I put in the SUV. At the end of the day, I was always physically exhausted from managing the drive. Folks would say, "You are paying for your tow vehicle physically, as it just isn't suited to do this. Buy a truck that is designed for this." So I did. My trailer is 7300 lbs totally wet, I pack another 2000 in sporting equipment in the truck. My towing capacity on my truck now is 12,600. My towing world is so much better and I am kicking myself for straddling the line all those years, no more sore muscles and fatique at the end of the day or stress in the mountains, hair pin turns or gusty highways. What I have learned is that you can get by close to the limit, but you will pay for it in stress, muscle pains and repairs. If the tow vehicle is on the edge, so are you. I travel cross country, so if you are just going to your local state parks it probably will not be an issue. Happy trails!
Exactly our experience with a Yukon / Tahoe and a 25 EB ...
...much happier with the 1500 truck ( and I might add - don't miss the diesels we pulled with before. The new generation 1/2 tons are so much more capable and different from those of a dozen years ago!)
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote