Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Talking Towing Package Recommendations

Hi Everyone,

I joined this website about 10 months ago, and unfortunately I have not been posting on a regular basis. With that said, I am still looking for my ideal Airstream - still trying to be patient.

My reason for posting has to do with adding a towing package to an existing TV. For whatever reason, I did not consider the factory installed towing package on my truck when I purchased it. Now I have to adjust to the situation I have created.

I love my truck, and I am not in the financial situation to buy a new one with a towing package. Cannot afford a new truck and an Airstream. Anyway, here are the specs: 2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport, 4door, 6' bed, V6, 4.0L. I have done some research on what is required, some prices, etc. Through my research, I have narrowed it down to: Transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, upgrade on wiring/fuses/brake control, and the hitch of course.

I would appreciate any feedback on the requirements of an added towing package to an existing TV - the approximate costs, etc. Also, I would love to hear from anyone who has added a towing package and how it works for them.

Finally, the info I have received has been 5,000 pounds of dry weight and 500 pounds of tongue weight for my truck, which is lower than the manual says. I have been told that it should be lower because of my V6 status.

Thank you in advance to anyone for any ideas, suggestions, and tips.

GACStreamer
St. Louis, MO
GACStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I think you have a pretty good idea about the tow package, but the two main things that you should have is the right differential ratio, a 3:73 for Ford products and the trailer light wiring. Once again, on Fords, the trailer lights are activated by relays to carry the extra load of the trailer lights and protect your tow vehicle's lights if your trailer shorts out. I'm not sure what Toyota uses in their tow package. You might dig a little deeper to find out all of the differences in thoese with and without factory tow package. You can make do without, but better with.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:29 AM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I considered the Tacoma really strongly before I bought my Titan. The Tacoma with the tow package has a rated to capacity of 6500 lbs. You can add those things and be able to tow, but as Robert suggests, you need to check the rear end ratio on the tow package vs. your Pre-runner 2WD TRD package. The other stuff is necessary, but it's the rear end that actually dictates how much weight you can move, and I don't know if Toyota is using the same rear-end in all their trucks or not. I ended up with a Titan, and Nissan actually has a factory "big-tow package" that, in addition to the tranny cooler, and hitch has a transmission temp gauge, towing mirrors, and a lower rear-end ratio.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
costa mesa , California
You don't say which airstream you plan on towing, you could probably tow a single axle airstream with no problem but forget about anything bigger IE 23' or 25' double axle trailers.

IMO unless you plan on towing a 19' Bambi you should forget about it and just get a different TV. Considering all the costs, you probably should sell your truck and buy another used one with the tow package from the factory, it's not like their hard to come by.

Toyota puts a fantastic LS diff with a 371 ratio in the v6 tacoma with a tow package I believe, not to mention all the other extras, theres a good reason that the tow package costs around $3500.00 extra.

You have to have more truck than trailer, don't start out with a handicap.
bambi for me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. I actually don't want to get more than a 23', looking mainly at the Caravel, Globetrotter, and Caravelle from the 70's and 1980.

I just need to do more investigating. I appreciate everyone's help.

Jeff
GACStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote