Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
Craftsman

Question Towing Necessities for my 2001 Chevy

Well, I have a flight out of BWI on Monday to Ft. Lauderdale to pick up the 2001 4X4 2500 Suburban that I bought on ebay. I'll drive that back to Baltimore(900 miles) rest up andt hen drive to MI. to pick up the 31" 1976 Sovereign that I bought through a tip from Rog 0525. I orderd a pair of McKesh mirrors, a Prodidgy Brake Controller and I'll buy a new battery to take with me. Is there ANYTHING else that I should take with me ( besides tools)? Special electrical connectors etc.? This will be my first time pulling any trailer. Any advise is more than welcome? It's a 600 mile trip home.
Jack
Old 08-05-2004, 09:33 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I carry a cross lug wrench, emergency triangle warning markers, wheel chocks, an air pump, some hitch lube, fuses, a hitch pin. I also have my lynx leveler blocks which could be used to raise the tires in case of a flat. I do also carry a small bottle jack. Other things to think about, a spare tire and wheel, and sway control.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Jack, there was a thread here somewhere about tools to carry on long trips. I'll see if I can find it for you. For a vintage trailer such as the one you are picking up, I would travel heavy the first time out. Some Olympic rivets, pop rivet tool, and a drill with 5/32" bit would not be out of order, just in case a piece of belly skin decides to go south while you are on the highway.

I would also bring some spare grease for the new hitch (sometimes they are noisy as they work in), a national campground guide, and I'd join the "Blue List" that is maintained on this forum for emergency help.

Also bring your car charger for the cell phone and make sure you have a good nationwide calling plan ... My motto when traveling is that with a cell phone and a wallet full of Gold cards you can't go far wrong!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:56 AM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
During your rest-up prior to picking up the trailer, have the Prodigy and the Suburban's wiring done back to the hitch and have it thoroughly tested. That will make troubleshooting any 12v lighting and/or brake issues with the trailer much easier when you get there as you won't have TWO new sets of wiring to troubleshoot.

You didn't mention your hitch setup, but I wouldn't tow it without a weight distributing hitch with sway control, even with the Sub 3/4 ton. You can expect about a 700lb tongue weight with your 31' trailer. Check the receiver hitch dead weight limits on the Sub. Most Class III receivers have a 10,000/1000 lb limit WITH weight distribution and only a 5000/500 lb limit without. Choose the weight distribution/sway system that fits you best; you've undoubtedly read the opinions expressed in all the threads here about them. Frankly, although I think some are better than others, they all work adequately.

Make sure that you have a recent bearing repack on the trailer, and that the tires are good enough to tow it home with. There's nothing worse than having to replace half the side of your trailer 'cause a blown tire tore it up on the way home.

Have a great time!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
....Is there ANYTHING else that I should take with me....

Duct Tape..........lots of it.

Plan to stop often and early.....leave after the rush hour, and stop with plenty of light left. Pull in every rest area you can - do a walkaround, put your hand on each tire as you visually inspect them and feel each bearing assembly and wheel/drum contact area - anything over 20 degrees above ambient needs an inspection to determine why it is running a high temp.

Oh, don't forget the camera with lots of film/storage......

Post pics for the rest of us.

Luck

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Bungie cords...............

If you find a broken awning arm on one of the small windows or the back you can sometimes just use the very small bungie cords to hold the awning in place so it dosen't get lost or break off.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Oh Yea, I forgot. You can also wrap them arond the awnings to keep them in place in case the snap is broken. You might want to bring some rope too ......Never hurts to have all those odd things.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:28 AM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Jack, if you want, I can provide overnight courtesy parking at my daughter's home so you can get an early start on your trip home. She is just a few miles froom the pick up location. That's where I keep my Caravel. You won't be able to fill the LP tanks until you get new OPD valves installed, but we can hook up the water and electric. This would give you a little time to get acquainted with your new coach before you hit the road.
If you want to give me a ring when you know when you're going to arrive, I'll meet you at the seller's home and lend a hand in the hitch up.
Bring some blankets if you're going to stay overnight.
Bon voyage.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Trip

Pick up a copy of "The Next Exit" which lists truck stops, gas stations, repair stations, dump stations, rest areas, restaurants, etc. It was invaluable to me on my trip from TN. to AZ. and back when I went out pick up my '77 31' Excella. A hammer and cross lug wrench sure came in handy when I blew a rear curbside tire. I had to beat an outrigger down in order to remove the tire and then limped 45 miles on 3 tires into Amarillo, TX. I did a little more work on it while Discount Tire mounted new Carlisle ST tires on all 4 rims.

Don't forget extra fluids for the Suburban just in case.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Don't forget extra fluids for the Suburban just in case.
This is very important. If you have a chance, before leaving to pick up your trailer, have the differential fluid changed, and synthetic gear lube installed in both differentials. The synthetic doesn't break down due to high temps like the standard stuff does. I have a friend with a Dodge Ram 1500, that lost his differential while towing his trailer. Also just today had a visitor from Wisconsin show up at my door with a blown rear end in his Chevy Express van, also from towing his travel trailer. The rear end got so hot it boiled the gear lube out.
A new transmission filter, oil change, and fresh coolant won't hurt, if the seller hasn't done this for you already. This is assuming the truck already has a trans cooler installed, if not, that would be mandatory.
After thinking for a few more minutes, a spare serpentine belt for the engine would be a good idea, too.
I will stop now, before I have you dragging an extra truck along...
Have a safe trip.
Terry
Old 08-06-2004, 09:47 PM   #11
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in my Jimmy. I've never needed it for a trailer tire but it came in real handy one time for allowing me to get off a busy X-way to a safe tire changing area.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 11:10 PM   #12
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Not sure if this will help or not. Maybe some others can chime in.

Very often we hear about the windows shattering on trailers that have been sitting for a while without being moved on their maiden trip home.

It happened to the PO of my trailer and I inherited it with sheet metal taped over the wrap windows.

Mostly the fixed windows that don't open like the front wrap windows and the side oval windows.

I was thinking it may be a good idea to hit the gaskets on those with a heavy dose of silicone spray to loosen them up a little so they can take the vibration better before you move it the first time.

This is just an idea I have, so I don't know how valid it is.

What do you guys think?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**One More Tool**

There has been a lot of tools mentioned on this thread; one versatile tool I always try to keep handy is made of plastic. Yep, the ole credit card. When all else fails I find it a relief to know that you can always call for some help.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:41 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Not sure if this will help or not. Maybe some others can chime in.

Very often we hear about the windows shattering on trailers that have been sitting for a while without being moved on their maiden trip home.

It happened to the PO of my trailer and I inherited it with sheet metal taped over the wrap windows.

Mostly the fixed windows that don't open like the front wrap windows and the side oval windows.

I was thinking it may be a good idea to hit the gaskets on those with a heavy dose of silicone spray to loosen them up a little so they can take the vibration better before you move it the first time.

This is just an idea I have, so I don't know how valid it is.

What do you guys think?
I don't think it would hurt anything, and it would probably be a good idea to open and close all the windows and doors that will do so.
Another idea I had after signing off was to make sure the TV antenna and roof air shroud are secure, you don't want to lose those items going down the road.
Terry
Old 08-07-2004, 06:42 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinky
There has been a lot of tools mentioned on this thread; one versatile tool I always try to keep handy is made of plastic. Yep, the ole credit card. When all else fails I find it a relief to know that you can always call for some help.
You are right, Bill. I have said to several people that there is nothing wrong with their trailer that enough money can't fix. Even a trailer that is virtually destroyed can be brought back, if you are willing to throw enough buckets of money at it.
Terry
Old 08-07-2004, 10:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Here I am in western Montana, about 2500 miles from home and often in places where the cell phone doesn't work, and about 2 weeks ago I decided to jack up my trailer with the 6-ton bottle jack I recently bought and carry with me in case of an emergency.

First, I spent a LONG time trying to locate the right place to put the jack - which my owner's manual says is clearly identified behind the rear axle. I couldn't even find the spot the first couple times I looked! Finally, with the help of this forum, I found the place the factory has identified to put the jack - but it's 6 1/2 feet behind the rear axle on my new 30' Classic.
That's so far to the rear of my trailer that my bottle jack won't go high enough to get any of the wheels off the ground. This past week I've looked all over the aedjacent countryside for one of those "jiffy jacks" or someone to cut some wood in pieces for me so I can drive up onto them (also suggested in the owner's manual), but so far haven't found anything satisfactory.

So, my suggestion is to carry a jack with you that you are sure will work in case of an emergency, a cell phone, and be awfully good at praying for help in case all else fails!

Also, I use wide pieces of velcro around my awning arms for added protection, instead of bungy cords - that also seems to work.

Good luck!

John
Old 08-07-2004, 11:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Talking

A bucket full of money. It's not a sure thing, but sometimes it helps.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #18
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
A bucket full of money. It's not a sure thing, but sometimes it helps.
Nah, not sometimes - it ALWAYS helps!
Old 08-07-2004, 04:27 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

WD-40

Hey, I just learned that you need a minimum of 10 letters to reply to a post.

I guess I should have said doubleyoudeeforty!

"Its always something" - Gilda Radner
"Well then.....nevermind..............bitch" - Rosana Rosana Dana
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:01 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Towing Necessities

Greetings Jack!

There are only two things that I might add to what has already been written in this thread. For the first tow on both my Overlander and Minuet, I needed a Bargman connector that matched the one installed on my tow vehicle; and in both cases the trailer connector end needed to be rewired to the modern standard found on most tow vehicles. The second thing that I would suggest is to check to be sure whether your Motor Club/Towing Insurance will cover both your tow vehicle and trailer - - it is reassuring to be in an unfamiliar area to have ready access to road assistance. When I added RV coverage to my Motor Club, the basic "free-tow" mileage was more than tripled. So far, in the nine years that I have had this coverage, I have never had to use it for the Airstream or Argosy - - I don't really want to think about how many times I have had to use it for my '75 Cadillac.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote