Old 08-07-2004, 07:42 AM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinky
There has been a lot of tools mentioned on this thread; one versatile tool I always try to keep handy is made of plastic. Yep, the ole credit card. When all else fails I find it a relief to know that you can always call for some help.
You are right, Bill. I have said to several people that there is nothing wrong with their trailer that enough money can't fix. Even a trailer that is virtually destroyed can be brought back, if you are willing to throw enough buckets of money at it.
Terry

Old 08-07-2004, 11:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Here I am in western Montana, about 2500 miles from home and often in places where the cell phone doesn't work, and about 2 weeks ago I decided to jack up my trailer with the 6-ton bottle jack I recently bought and carry with me in case of an emergency.

First, I spent a LONG time trying to locate the right place to put the jack - which my owner's manual says is clearly identified behind the rear axle. I couldn't even find the spot the first couple times I looked! Finally, with the help of this forum, I found the place the factory has identified to put the jack - but it's 6 1/2 feet behind the rear axle on my new 30' Classic.
That's so far to the rear of my trailer that my bottle jack won't go high enough to get any of the wheels off the ground. This past week I've looked all over the aedjacent countryside for one of those "jiffy jacks" or someone to cut some wood in pieces for me so I can drive up onto them (also suggested in the owner's manual), but so far haven't found anything satisfactory.

So, my suggestion is to carry a jack with you that you are sure will work in case of an emergency, a cell phone, and be awfully good at praying for help in case all else fails!

Also, I use wide pieces of velcro around my awning arms for added protection, instead of bungy cords - that also seems to work.

Good luck!

John

Old 08-07-2004, 12:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Talking

A bucket full of money. It's not a sure thing, but sometimes it helps.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:52 PM   #18
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
A bucket full of money. It's not a sure thing, but sometimes it helps.
Nah, not sometimes - it ALWAYS helps!
Old 08-07-2004, 05:27 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

WD-40

Hey, I just learned that you need a minimum of 10 letters to reply to a post.

I guess I should have said doubleyoudeeforty!

"Its always something" - Gilda Radner
"Well then.....nevermind..............bitch" - Rosana Rosana Dana
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:01 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Towing Necessities

Greetings Jack!

There are only two things that I might add to what has already been written in this thread. For the first tow on both my Overlander and Minuet, I needed a Bargman connector that matched the one installed on my tow vehicle; and in both cases the trailer connector end needed to be rewired to the modern standard found on most tow vehicles. The second thing that I would suggest is to check to be sure whether your Motor Club/Towing Insurance will cover both your tow vehicle and trailer - - it is reassuring to be in an unfamiliar area to have ready access to road assistance. When I added RV coverage to my Motor Club, the basic "free-tow" mileage was more than tripled. So far, in the nine years that I have had this coverage, I have never had to use it for the Airstream or Argosy - - I don't really want to think about how many times I have had to use it for my '75 Cadillac.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:08 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Here I am in western Montana, about 2500 miles from home and often in places where the cell phone doesn't work, and about 2 weeks ago I decided to jack up my trailer with the 6-ton bottle jack I recently bought and carry with me in case of an emergency.

First, I spent a LONG time trying to locate the right place to put the jack - which my owner's manual says is clearly identified behind the rear axle. I couldn't even find the spot the first couple times I looked! Finally, with the help of this forum, I found the place the factory has identified to put the jack - but it's 6 1/2 feet behind the rear axle on my new 30' Classic.
That's so far to the rear of my trailer that my bottle jack won't go high enough to get any of the wheels off the ground. This past week I've looked all over the aedjacent countryside for one of those "jiffy jacks" or someone to cut some wood in pieces for me so I can drive up onto them (also suggested in the owner's manual), but so far haven't found anything satisfactory.

So, my suggestion is to carry a jack with you that you are sure will work in case of an emergency, a cell phone, and be awfully good at praying for help in case all else fails!

Also, I use wide pieces of velcro around my awning arms for added protection, instead of bungy cords - that also seems to work.

Good luck!

John
John

The jack location you reference is for a stabilizer jack-only! This means you should not attempt to raise the wheels off the ground with any kind of jack at this location. To raise the wheels to change a flat in an emergency, use your bottle jack only on the axle mounting plate and never at the stabilizer jack location or the axle.

Rick
Old 08-13-2004, 09:19 AM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerbadbrad
WD-40

Hey, I just learned that you need a minimum of 10 letters to reply to a post.

I guess I should have said doubleyoudeeforty!
That is to prevent a blank post, as in the "thread about nothing" a while back. Hilarious once, a major waste of bandwidth more than that.
Terry
Old 12-22-2004, 10:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Necessary Tools

All'ya'all might be interested in two of the things I was (somewhat) unprepared for when I picked up the '78 Sovereign last month.

One - the PO had "redone" the umbilical line - in so doing he over-torqued the wire hold down assembly (at a point where there was no outer insulation) and subsequently shorted out at least three of the 7 wires - I spent the better part of the morning sitting outside in the rain and the mist and the fog while parked at a Wal-Mart store attempting to figure THAT one out.

Two - the electric jack was "inop" due to some additional wiring issues (since rectified) - there was a hand crank included in the "tool bay" of the trailer BUT a set of Allen wrenches was necessary to remove the power head to access the hand crank drive.

So....on a pick-up of a "questionable" new old unit, give yourself an extra day of travel time to sort out electrical gremlins for a safe tow, and don't forget a good set of Allen (hex drive) wrenches to remove the power head just in case the power jack is stuck in the "down" position.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
John what about this Trailer Aid?

We've not had to try it yet but we carry the trailer aid and hope this item will do the trick. You just drive onto it and it lifts the good wheel up enough for clearance to change the other. Has anyone used this?

http://www.secureyourtrailer.com/myw...ow_1322861.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher

Good luck!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	9842  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote