Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Towing Mirrors

I am driving from Michigan to Florida to pick up my '04 Bambi Safari in 3 weeks. It will definitely be an adventure for us. I am towing it home with my 2000 Chevy Astro van. I'm having the Reese hitch with WD package, 7 way light thingie, electric brakes and friction sway bar installed here before going down. I asked the folks up here that are doing this work about setting me up with mirrors (they're an RV/Trailer dealer). They recommended some new type of setup that can be easily moved from vehicle to vehicle (suction?), rather than "strap-on" types that are more vehicle specific. Does anyone know what this "new" type of mirror is? Should I go with them? Maybe first I should ask if mirrors are really needed...
Thanks in advance for your help!
Also, I see the term, "SOB" dealership used in the threads. What is this?

Darrell
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Get something for mirrors

There are several types of Extenders that strap or clamp onto existing mirrors to give you wider view and chance to see what is coming behind trailer, and are worth safety enhancement... Best advice I can offer is try them and see that they are secure, as you will see insecure models littering the highways as they have fallen off and done former owners litle good.. We used long black plastic slipover extensions on Suburban from mid-90's, and had much better view of what was going on behind us, and they were held on with clamp and threaded knob/bolt... THey're going into classifieds if anyone wants a pair, as Excursion has its own built in extenders...

As for SOB dealers, that is polite form of "Some Other Brand" of Trailer or Motorhome, used as shorthand here to describe non-Airstreams... Not really intended to be derogatory...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Towing Mirrors

Greetings Darrell!

Welcome to the adventure of Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D
I am driving from Michigan to Florida to pick up my '04 Bambi Safari in 3 weeks. It will definitely be an adventure for us. I am towing it home with my 2000 Chevy Astro van. I'm having the Reese hitch with WD package, 7 way light thingie, electric brakes and friction sway bar installed here before going down. I asked the folks up here that are doing this work about setting me up with mirrors (they're an RV/Trailer dealer). They recommended some new type of setup that can be easily moved from vehicle to vehicle (suction?), rather than "strap-on" types that are more vehicle specific. Does anyone know what this "new" type of mirror is? Should I go with them? Maybe first I should ask if mirrors are really needed...
Thanks in advance for your help!
Also, I see the term, "SOB" dealership used in the threads. What is this?

Darrell
While I can't speak to the latest of the various temporary-mount trailering mirrors; I have had experience with numerous past attempts, and none of the experiences have been good. I finally followed the advice (in 1996) from several veteran Airstream owners and purchased a set of McKesh mirrors -- see:

http://www.hensleymfg.com/mckeshmirrors.html

I was fortunate enough to pick up both sets that I own during the annual flea market at one of the WBCCI International Rallys. Even if I were faced with paying full list price for a new set of these mirrors, I wouldn't hesitate as they provide a clear view particularly when equipped with the convex spot mirrors on each side.

My primary tow vehicle is the '99 Suburban, and I utilize these mirrors when towing either of my coaches. I could probably get by without the McKesh mirrors when towing my Minuet with the Suburban but the extra safety and security provided by their excellent rear view makes them a must have for me.

Good luck with your adventure!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Thanks to Condo and Overlander for the info. I'll look into the McKesh units. Thanks for explaining the SOB term! Any tips on towing in the snow? Heaven forbid but I'm hauling into Michigan in February!
Old 01-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks to Condo and Overlander for the info. I'll look into the McKesh units. Thanks for explaining the SOB term! Any tips on towing in the snow? Heaven forbid but I'm hauling into Michigan in February!
Congratulations on the trailer!

You may want to look into a good set of add-on mudflaps like the Enkay Mud Tamers. If you DO run into bad weather, they will help keep your trailer from getting beaten to death by cinders/salt/etc.

I also would suggest the McKesh mirrors as Kevin has.

Good luck,

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I put a set of Schefenacker mirrors on my Silverado. I think they're absolutely fantastic: http://www.ttt-mirror.com

They give you one very large square mirror, and a smaller convex mirror. They extend by about a foot or something when you need them, but can be moved back in close when you aren't towing. You get to keep all the features of your existing mirrors, like remote adjust and mirror heat, and add other features you may want, like running lights and turn signals. Since Schefenacker is an OEM mirror supplier for several car manufacturers, they're built right, and look good.

I installed mine myself, but wouldn't recommend it for those who are afraid of stripping and connecting wires and so forth.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Congrats for your new toy! Pics of the trip I hope?
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #8
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Darrell,

Congrats on the new Bambi. Advice about towing in snow? My best advice is to thoroughly wash the bottom with warm water to get the salt off it when you get home as it will eat up the belly if you don't.

I picked up my 31' in March last year in Grand Rapids, towed it to Toledo and Cleveland and then back to southeastern GA. We had to borrow the sellers' (great folks) neighbor's Suburban 4x4 to get it out of the barn and up and down his hilly, snowy driveway. I hitched it up in a wide place in the road, thanked the gentleman, and started to drive away without putting on the towing mirrors! I noticed their absence at the next stop sign. Fortunately, Michigan makes wide roads with emergency lanes.

The roads themselves weren't much problem. I just kept it slow and avoided any quick maneuvers and gave myself about five times the normal stopping distance. I did see some of the hot rods that blasted rudely past me sitting in the median on the way to Cinci. I waved and slowly went on along my way.

I can also vouch for the McKesh towing mirrors. I've used the same set from 1993 to 2005, mostly on a V8 Dodge Dakota. They install quickly, mount firmly, and don't vibrate excessively. I don't need them anymore, so whoever wants to come get them can HAVE them. (My new Dodge has these gizmo towing mirrors. Pictures in my gallery...)

Regards,

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Mirrors

McKesh, don't leave home without them. Great mirrors.

Mark
Old 01-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Congratulations on the trailer!

You may want to look into a good set of add-on mudflaps like the Enkay Mud Tamers. If you DO run into bad weather, they will help keep your trailer from getting beaten to death by cinders/salt/etc.

I also would suggest the McKesh mirrors as Kevin has.

Good luck,

Dennis
Dennis,

Thanks, I think I'll look into a set. Sounds like a great idea-- year round!

DD
Old 01-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep
I put a set of Schefenacker mirrors on my Silverado. I think they're absolutely fantastic: http://www.ttt-mirror.com

They give you one very large square mirror, and a smaller convex mirror. They extend by about a foot or something when you need them, but can be moved back in close when you aren't towing. You get to keep all the features of your existing mirrors, like remote adjust and mirror heat, and add other features you may want, like running lights and turn signals. Since Schefenacker is an OEM mirror supplier for several car manufacturers, they're built right, and look good.

I installed mine myself, but wouldn't recommend it for those who are afraid of stripping and connecting wires and so forth.
Wow, I checked 'em out. Pretty impressive. Pricey, too! I'll see what's in the budget! Thanks!
Old 01-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Congrats for your new toy! Pics of the trip I hope?
Thanks! Will definitely take lots of pics and post them when we get back!
Old 01-21-2006, 05:27 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
Hi, Darrell,

Congrats on the new Bambi. Advice about towing in snow? My best advice is to thoroughly wash the bottom with warm water to get the salt off it when you get home as it will eat up the belly if you don't.

I picked up my 31' in March last year in Grand Rapids, towed it to Toledo and Cleveland and then back to southeastern GA. We had to borrow the sellers' (great folks) neighbor's Suburban 4x4 to get it out of the barn and up and down his hilly, snowy driveway. I hitched it up in a wide place in the road, thanked the gentleman, and started to drive away without putting on the towing mirrors! I noticed their absence at the next stop sign. Fortunately, Michigan makes wide roads with emergency lanes.

The roads themselves weren't much problem. I just kept it slow and avoided any quick maneuvers and gave myself about five times the normal stopping distance. I did see some of the hot rods that blasted rudely past me sitting in the median on the way to Cinci. I waved and slowly went on along my way.

I can also vouch for the McKesh towing mirrors. I've used the same set from 1993 to 2005, mostly on a V8 Dodge Dakota. They install quickly, mount firmly, and don't vibrate excessively. I don't need them anymore, so whoever wants to come get them can HAVE them. (My new Dodge has these gizmo towing mirrors. Pictures in my gallery...)

Regards,

Lamar
Hey, Grand Rapids is where we live. Sounds like your trip was without major incident. That's cool.
Thanks for the tips. The weather is very unpredictable here. It was in the upper forties all week and this morniong woke up to 6 inches of snow Hope Mother Nature is not PMSing the week we head up here with our new little baby!
Sounds like the McKesh mirrors are a favorite! Thanks again.

Darrell
Old 01-21-2006, 05:28 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall
McKesh, don't leave home without them. Great mirrors.

Mark
Thanks, Mark. Looks like McKesh wins!
Old 01-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Folks, I've been contacted by someone who wants the McKeshs. The offer no longer is valid.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1959 22' Flying Cloud
Bowden , West Virginia
McKesh mirrors for me. Solid mirrors and easy on and off. Currently, there are two sets on ebay.

Ken
grannyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

McKesh mirrors sound great. I bought a cheap set of mirrors that hook on with a black strap. I lost one mirror on a freeway in Austin that nearly hit a BMW convertible behind me. Gave me a heartattack and that driver one too. I'm looking for new mirrors also. Karolyn
Airstreammam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Towing Forbidden in Calif Snow..

For probably good reasons, California Motor Vehicle code prohibits towing travel trailers when there is snow on highway, and also requires tire chains on any state highway when there is snow on road.. Having grown up sliding up hills on snow tires and cobblestones in Pittsburgh, it seems kind of chicken, but quality of local drivers makes it reasonable...

Slow and steady would be the answer, and check brake controllers, since some require inertia of slowing tow vehicle to activate brakes in trailer... Could be one long slippery snake sliding down the road..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
For probably good reasons, California Motor Vehicle code prohibits towing travel trailers when there is snow on highway, and also requires tire chains on any state highway when there is snow on road.. Having grown up sliding up hills on snow tires and cobblestones in Pittsburgh, it seems kind of chicken, but quality of local drivers makes it reasonable...

Slow and steady would be the answer, and check brake controllers, since some require inertia of slowing tow vehicle to activate brakes in trailer... Could be one long slippery snake sliding down the road..

John McG
Thanks, John. We will taker 'er slow, for sure...

Darrell
Old 01-22-2006, 10:17 PM   #20
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not with me

Quote:
Thanks, Mark. Looks like McKesh wins!
I had the McKesh mirrors and they were high quality; however, I sold them and replaced them, first with the slip-on extensions and now with TTT mirrors. I would never go back.

Since I trailer mostly alone, I far prefer the electrically adjustable mirrors to the McKesh that required multiple trips in and out of the truck to adjust them every time they were installed or got bumped. I also hated what the clamp did to the rubber weatherstrip at the base of my windows.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote