Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The Cat scale tickets do not lie. They are legally accepted proof of the axle weights and total rig weight.
If you suspect you are overweight, even by 5 lbs., and you have no other vehicle to tow with, you probably shouldn't get it weighed. That way you can answer "no, not as far as I know" when asked after the accident whether you weighed it at a scale. This is one of those ironies where being dumb is helpful. However, if you calculated the weight from known quantities, you could be asked about that too. So, maybe it is best to be so dumb not to figure out anything just in case you get sued. Of course, a good lawyer who knows about towing would still know how to nail you. But it is better to be so dumb you just thought it was ok and not so smart to do the calculations or weigh the rig. At least it is not as intentional. I do not advise stupidity, however.

Gene

Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #58
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post

Very good, Gene. Nicely summed up as usual; I wish I had your clear sight.

A year or two back I had a short debate with a man at a campground in the US about my Toyota Sienna pulling my 28' International. He told me it couldn't be done. I said that surely the presence of both on the same camping site in the southern United States (given the Ontario tags) was proof enough that it could be done, but he still spent ten minutes telling me the error of my ways. And that sums up some of the debate here - we're doing it without fuss and in as much safety as anyone else and yet still we see posts saying that it can't be done.
I admire your tenacity. I just can't get out of my head the formula for momentum where momentum equals mass times velocity. A lighter bunch of stuff stops faster than heavy stuff. It's why I follow a semi through heavy traffic. So if my math is correct, I am going to stop quicker than him and hopefully practice the number one rule in defensive driving, avoid collision. I can't count the number of times in my life that I have been told that I couldn't do what ever it was I was doing, mostly by people who have never tried whatever it was I was doing. Some people had some good advice, and I listened, but most of the time it was just old stuff based on myth, not first hand experience. So I identify with your southern experience, respectfully acknowledge their opinion or advice, and move on. It has worked for me so far. Jim

Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
momentum equals mass times velocity. A lighter bunch of stuff stops faster than heavy stuff. It's why I follow a semi through heavy traffic. So if my math is correct, I am going to stop quicker than him
I'm not so sure about your above theory on momentum Jim. I think there are a few more variables to the formula. But, I wanted to throw this out there for you to hopefully think about the next time your following a semi. As a CDL truck driver I can speak from experience..... A loaded tractor trailer stops 40% faster than the same one unloaded, and today ALL new OTR rigs have ABS braking on the tractors & trailers.
Following is fine, just not too close!

This thread has been great reading and very timely for me inparticular. I've been toying with the possibility of the 2014 5.7 Tundra. HD tow equipped with over 2000 lbs truck capacity & over 10,000 towing potential. But I'm sure this all will come at a price that pushes close to, or even into the 3/4 ton truck range.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #60
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
It has been 50 years since I studied physics and the laws of motion but I don't think Newton's laws have changed. I highly respect the skills of a professional driver and choose to follow them at a safe distance through heavy traffic because they simply do it better than everybody else. And I am confident that my 14,000 lbs will stop sooner than his 80,000 lbs or unloaded 30,000 lbs. Never had to test it though. I have had other tests,but not that one. Jim
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Momentum matters, but so do air brakes and more tires, thus more traction, on the road. More cargo probably gives those tires more traction too. This could mean a 100 car coal train could stop in one foot, but I guess we are comparing apples to oranges to pears. Lots of assumptions about this and few facts.

Gene
Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I....in 1974 believe it was, my father who was towing a 31' Airstream at the time, began having suspension and wheel bearing/axle problems with a 1/2 ton Suburban, 454 engine, tow package equipped truck.
Not throwing mud, honestly. And I agree with many of your points, Steve. but 1970's and 80's vintage GM products were not all they appeared. My basis for this statement was my 1984 S10 Chevy Blazer, the sorriest excuse for an "SUV" that there ever was

steverino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1/2 ton