Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #99
Rivet Master
 
r carl's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
How many Diesel 1/2 ton pickups do you know of?
You will get a diesel before you get an extended cab (super cab) truck with front hinged center post rear small door cab that you couldnt get into because of the center post.
__________________

__________________
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #100
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
You will get a diesel before you get an extended cab (super cab) truck with front hinged center post rear small door cab that you couldnt get into because of the center post.
Nope, I can get one right now...both Ram and Toyota build them, and GM trucks in '14 year model will have them.
__________________

__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #101
Rivet Master
 
noreen&sal's Avatar
 
1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,179
Images: 9
My DW made these "Christmas cookies". She's not fooling me. And you think you know somebody after 49 years. Sal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	174974  
__________________
Sal & Nora
Let us live so that when we die even the undertaker will be sorry. Mark Twain
AIR 42483
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #102
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
OK, back on topic, sort of....I've worn out two calculators and cannot make the numbers work out with a 1/2 ton truck. The payload capacity is just not there when you start out with 1100 lbs of tongue weight.

Found a deal on a '12 Ram 2500 Crew cab with the Cummins, and might be able to get it the end of this coming week. It's not what I started out searching for, but at least I don't have to worry if it will carry the weight, or pull the load.
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #103
1 Rivet Short
 
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,547
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
OK, back on topic, sort of....I've worn out two calculators and cannot make the numbers work out with a 1/2 ton truck. The payload capacity is just not there when you start out with 1100 lbs of tongue weight.

Found a deal on a '12 Ram 2500 Crew cab with the Cummins, and might be able to get it the end of this coming week. It's not what I started out searching for, but at least I don't have to worry if it will carry the weight, or pull the load.
Yes...that is one reason Folks end up with HD trucks. Payload (TW, etc) becomes a big issue.
I still can't figure out why you are getting rid of the 08?
Me thinks you just want a new truck...

Good luck.

B
__________________
*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #104
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Yes...that is one reason Folks end up with HD trucks. Payload (TW, etc) becomes a big issue.
I still can't figure out why you are getting rid of the 08?
Me thinks you just want a new truck...

Good luck.

B
Bill,

I know lots of folks would not understand my reasons, but some are 112,000 miles, urea, steering gearbox play, and yes, I want to enjoy a new truck with more features and creature comforts.

And last, usually no one trades vehicles unless they MUST, or they believe they are getting a good deal. I prefer to trade before I MUST.

Regards,
Steve
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #105
1 Rivet Short
 
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,547
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Bill,

I know lots of folks would not understand my reasons, but some are 112,000 miles, urea, steering gearbox play, and yes, I want to enjoy a new truck with more features and creature comforts.

And last, usually no one trades vehicles unless they MUST, or they believe they are getting a good deal. I prefer to trade before I MUST.

Regards,
Steve
Is Cummins still urea free?
Funny how they could figure it out but GM and Ford still use urea absorbtion/burn off to meet emmission standard.
I never did understand that...

The "infamous" GM steering knock...your dealer should be familiar with this...have them tighten it up.

Good luck, let us know how you like towing with the Dodge tranny versus the Alli.

B
__________________
*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #106
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Yes, the 2012 Cummins is urea free, but not the 13's when they come out.

I don't have the "knock", but play in the gear box, and it cannot be removed, only replaced. And, a new gear box is either not available, or too expensive for the dealers to sell, so you can only get a rebuilt one, which many on the Diesel forum say will probably have even more play than the one I have. But, that was only a minor issue in the decision.

Regards,
Steve
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #107
Rivet Master
 
bwoodtx's Avatar
 
1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,365
And I thought you just wanted to haul more popcorn!!!
__________________
Bruce
WBCCI# 9259 AIR# 38927 TAC-TX 14
Stop Littering-Spay & Neuter-- Adopt From Rescue
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #108
4 Rivet Member
 
crisen's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 268
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Is Cummins still urea free?
Funny how they could figure it out but GM and Ford still use urea absorbtion/burn off to meet emmission standard.
I never did understand that...

B
The 2007.5 thru 2012 Dodge/Cummins system is really a Mercedes design, remember Chrysler was owned by Daimler-Benz at the time this truck was developed. At least the first trucks with this system had a BLUETec badge on the tailgate to identify the system. My understanding of the basis of the system is a DPF, or diesel particulate filter, it filters out the particulate emissions and when the computer senses that the filter needs cleaning it regenerates. This process involves dumping more fuel to increase the temp in the DPF and burning off the particulates. When these trucks first came out they had lots of issues with trucks that spent a lot of the time in city driving/idling/not towing. The filters needed regenerating a lot in these conditions and the turbos were prone to issues requiring them to be cleaned also O2 sensors were sooting up. My 2008 has had one update to the software on this. I have never had any of the above problems with 66,000 on odometer, but probably at least 40 percent of those miles have been towing. We towed over 18,000 in the last year alone.
__________________
Rick
"When you find yourself in a hole - quit digging!"

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #109
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
And I thought you just wanted to haul more popcorn!!!
Dang, Bruce! You're wise to my madness!

Actually, I've found out that popcorn produces a gas that is lighter than air and would actully help with the weight problem.
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #110
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisen View Post
The 2007.5 thru 2012 Dodge/Cummins system is really a Mercedes design, remember Chrysler was owned by Daimler-Benz at the time this truck was developed. At least the first trucks with this system had a BLUETec badge on the tailgate to identify the system. My understanding of the basis of the system is a DPF, or diesel particulate filter, it filters out the particulate emissions and when the computer senses that the filter needs cleaning it regenerates. This process involves dumping more fuel to increase the temp in the DPF and burning off the particulates. When these trucks first came out they had lots of issues with trucks that spent a lot of the time in city driving/idling/not towing. The filters needed regenerating a lot in these conditions and the turbos were prone to issues requiring them to be cleaned also O2 sensors were sooting up. My 2008 has had one update to the software on this. I have never had any of the above problems with 66,000 on odometer, but probably at least 40 percent of those miles have been towing. We towed over 18,000 in the last year alone.
All of the 2007.5-ON Diesel trucks have the DPF system.
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #111
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

However, there seems to be a lot of folks today that feel the late model 1/2 ton trucks have capabilities not seen in the past below the 3/4 ton level, and it's a fact the newer trucks do have higher tow ratings than in the past.

Steve
Yes, the newer 1/2 tons can do more, but other than towing a space shuttle (I wonder what the tongue wt. of a space shuttle is?), there is a limit and you are correct.

Can you hold out for another year? Trucks are going to have to have better gas mileage and that may be worth waiting for. The new Tundras apparently are coming out for the 2014 models and maybe they will have a 3/4 ton or better capacity for the 1/2 ton. Our double cab has the 6/5' bed and between 1,500 and 1,600 cargo capacity. The payload differs a lot according to the specific model. Gas tank is small, but it makes us stop more and exercise our legs and backs, so that is a mixed thing. When in remote areas, we carry a couple of gas cans and rarely need them. I understand that the Tundra would be living on the edge of capacity, but maybe it will get better with the 2014 redesign.

Among other things, we buy for reliability and it is hard to beat Toyota at that. After several years where they were slipping on reliability, it seems they realized reliability is what got them where they are.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #112
4 Rivet Member
 
crisen's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 268
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
All of the 2007.5-ON Diesel trucks have the DPF system.

I don't believe the 2013 will have a DPF and Urea but haven't read up on the changes with the '13 models.
__________________

__________________
Rick
"When you find yourself in a hole - quit digging!"

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1/2 ton


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.