Old 02-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
If you have tow haul mode use it. Do not use cruise control up or down hill.

VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Lots of good info and most of which we were doing. But now we are better educated and informed .Only objection so far is its a Chevy not a Ford.

Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #31
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Generally I don't have a problem with downgrades. I just slow down at the crest and with the OD 'off' the truck holds pretty well. Judicious use of brakes to keep the speed under control keeps them cool. My TV is a 4.7 Dakota so it doesn't have a massive engine holding things back. I can't remember the last time I needed to use second gear in a down hill run, and I do a lot of 7% grades in Northern Ontario.

Up-hill is as noted several times above is a matter of finding the optimum torque range in your engine either manually or letting the engine look after itself. I pull at about 2700 rpm with OD off, but that is no where near the torque peak on the 4.7. If I want to make a steep hill with any reasonable speed I need to get up to 65 at the bottom of the hill which takes the engine nearer to 3000 rpm. About half way up on a long hill the engine simply gives up and shifts right to second and 4500 rpm. At that point as everyone notes, you just stay on it, and possibly lose speed on some hills. The 5 speed in the Dakota has a "passing gear" that is optimal on some grades but it won't stay in that gear even though it is in a sweet spot for RPMs and torque. I'm thinking about having the tranny reprogrammed.
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #32
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Towing, Grades, Hills, PRND321

When going up hill you want to lock into the highest gear you can to maintain a safe and prudent speed without having the transmission constantly up shifting and downshifting.

As a rule I will pull up hills up to 4500 rpm, but if the hill is very long and very steep I will hold the lower gear and take my foot out of the accelerator to about 4000 rpm.

Going down pick a speed and gear where you are not constantly on the brake pedal. On a long and steep grade you want to use the brakes no more than about 5% of any downgrade. Less than 5% is even better.

You can learn your vehicle by stopping at the bottom of a grade, if you can smell your brakes downwind, you used them too much. Adjust accordingly.

Brevi tempore!
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #33
Blue Highways Explorer
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
I have now a Ford F-150 EcoBoost, with 'tow-haul', but I prefer to manually shift it with the neat little buttons on the side of the shifter. Why????
Because I prefer to DRIVE the vehicle in accordance with what the vehicle is telling me; and NOT what some little 'office-bunny' in a cubicle who has proven that he/she has no idea of what my current situation is on the road.
If you choose to not use tow/haul mode and down/up shift your trans manually, be sure to do it with the selector in M manual mode and not with the selector in D. Manually shifting with the selector button while towing in drive alters the learned shift patterns of the automatic transmission. In other words, the office bunny in your transmission becomes confused and can start creating some hard shifts on the down grades.

This is the strangest life I've ever known - J. Morrison

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB with ProPride
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost V6 Turbo Gasser
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote