Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Cupertino , California
Towing AS & a second vehicle - thoughts / suggestions?

So this is all pie-in-the-sky thinking, but play along. The idea would be that, after acquiring an AS and finishing the resto-mod project on my Morgan +4, I'd want to tow the trailer and bring the Morgan along as a 'local cruiser' to see the sites.

Until the Morgan's done (a few years out at this point) just towing the AS can be handled by our Avalanche. All being well I'd end up with a '72 Ambassador I'm talking with someone about, so that would be near the max towing capability of the Avalanche. Also, the Morgan will likely not fit into the bed area of the Avalanche due to the framework there for the bed cover slats.

The AS is listed at close to 5000lb (yes, rounding up, I know), and the Morgan and any related ramp hardware would max out at around 2000 lb. The tow vehicle would preferably be a quad cab, and have a carrying area big enough for 4x8 sheets of drywall (still want to maintain daily functionality like we have with the Avalanche). Preferably not something 'extreme' as I'm not looking to break the bank, but interesting ideas are welcome.

I know I've seen some images of forum members with a vehicle on the back of their TV, think it was a Mini or something like that. New here so would rather do some open discussion than pestering individual members.

So, thoughts?
flaagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
OK, I'll play.

Don't just think of the space in the back of the trailer, think of the weight and where it will be positioned. There was a long thread or two about a conversion of an older trailer to make a toy hauler. IIRC it was wrecked soon after completion.

When Airstream built the Pan America they considered axle location to compensate for the additional weight.

The Pan America was a 34 foot trailer. It had a rear garage, 11 foot long, and fairly wide but limited by the hatch access. A Morgan Plus 4 is just over 12 foot long I believe, and wider than the hatch. The trailer could conceivably be modified, but sounds like a lot of work. And this is a 34' trailer, not a smaller and narrower trailer as you mentioned.

Great thread here on the Pan America, to get you thinking

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f503...ot-117702.html

You can carry the car on a flat deck behind the truck cab, but not on an Avalanche.

A Morgan three wheeler would be easier to fit in.

When I had a Plus 4 some years back ('97 model, Rover T16, Jaguar Platinum Silver over navy blue Connolly leather, with chrome knock offs, optional alloy wings, etc) I drove it to all the Morgan meets I attended. Side screens were a hassle, it wasn't a wet weather vehicle. After each trip there was a fair bit of cleaning. If I was taking it along on a camping trip I would want it covered. That is partly because I came back to it parked once, and found two kids under the age of five jumping on the front seats while Dad watched them playing. Photo attached.

Good luck

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00055.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	231653  
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Cupertino , California
Gorgeous +4, Jeff! My project's been stalled for about a year due to helping my parents with a lot of household remodeling and having to sort out replacing my C5 Corvette with a C7 (C5 got hit by a red light runner). Got a link to the project page in my signature if you want to see.

Funny you should mention a trailer w/ garage built in, as the original plans for the Ambassador were to convert it into a travel trailer / vehicle hauler. After numerous entertaining discussions with my father about the idea, we'd come to agree that it would be much more fun (and probably financially responsible) to not modify the AS but focus on something for the TV.

I certainly wouldn't complain about having a 3-wheeler, got to ride in one a friend had briefly and it was quite an experience.

If you look up "ScottieDTV" and "airstream car hauler" on youtube, you'll come across the vids that initially inspired that idea and got me down the path towards wanting an Airstream.
flaagan is offline   Reply With Quote