Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Towing and insurance

This is my first post.
My wife and I are the proud owners of a new FC, purchased last weekend. We are selling our 2002 Eurovan Camper right one (anyone interested?).
A new tow vehicle is on order, we decided to go with a Cayenne diesel.

When I called AAA yesterday and added the new AS to our car insurance, they told me that the trailer is only covered when it is towed by a vehicle that is also on our car policy.

This is a problem because next weekend, our airstream dealer will lend us a truck to take the AS out for its maiden voyage. The dealer told me that AAA should provide a binder for coverage.

Now, I called AAA again today, and the person today told me that the trailer is covered and that they do not sell short term binders.

Now I am confused. Does anyone know AAA's policy in more detail or has any other information about coverage when towing with a vehicle that is not on the same insurance policy as the AS?

Thank you all for your input.
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It should be covered on the truck owner's policy, right?
Vehicles are usually covered when they are loaned out-
Dealerships deliver trailers all the time.
Seems like a catch 22.
Be careful.
Get different insurance?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
My understanding is that trailers are covered by the insurance of the vehicle that tows them while in motion and by their own insurance when unhitched.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There is insurance available for the coach from places like Good Sam. But I am not sure if it covers you while towing.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The coverage provided by the automobile carrier is ( in my case, at least ) only a liability coverage. If you want to cover it for loss ( as in fire, theft, tree falling on it while parked
etc.) you should look to adding it to your policy. In my case I believe it is in the neighborhood of $200/yr or so. Last year we had a guy in an adjacent car open his door as we pulled from a fuel pump and catch his door on our awning arm. Destroyed his door and may have totaled his car and $8k in damages to our AS. Doesn't take much so I wouldn't leave home without it. This damage was paid to us by our insurance carrier but ultimately covered by the " other guys " carrier.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
The way Roger describes it above is how my State Farm policy works. The liability from the truck extends to the camper while towing. But any loss to the camper itself is covered by the policy on the camper.
So in other words, if I were to hit someone with my camper as I pulled thru a gas station, and damaged their car with my camper, the liability from the truck covers the damage I would do to their car.
But the repairs that would be needed to my camper would come from the policy on the camper itself.
To the OP, I would press your insurance agent on the coverage, and get a copy of it in writing over their signature. A "phone conversation with someone at the office" does not count. We have been in a similar situation, when for instance the local trailer dealership has loaned us a horse trailer for the weekend that we pulled with our truck. We get the appropriate paperwork from the insurance company, which the trailer dealer also has a copy of while we have their trailer, showing it is covered.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One needs a separate insurance policy to cover the trailer itself for damages to it. You also need trailer liability coverage if someone falls getting into the trailer while unhitched or it was to start a fire while in storage and damage other folk's trailers.

We used a comprehensive coverage policy with liability included through Google Sam.

If you carry an umbrella policy for extra liability coverage, be sure to add the trailer liability policy to it for the extended coverage on the trailer as well.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Thank you all for the good advice.
I'll call AAA tomorrow to get a copy of the coverage policy. The point that liability is covered by the truck's insurance and that the AS is covered by my AAA policy sounds logical, but having this in writing is going to make me sleep better.
Looking forward to he weekend!
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote