Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Towing and Hauling

I'm new to this and am looking for some advice. I want to do full time or 3/4 time in my (near future) Airstream. So, I decided on a 30ft. I'm looking for tow vehicles and my dilemma is I still have to drive a fair amount of miles every year for work and I pay for my own fuel. I've heard the F150 could handle that, but there is a catch. I want to be able to bring my Harley with me too. So, does that wipe out using the F150 and have to go with a F250? Now, I wont always have the bike in there. Thanks for your help!
Silverfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!
I think you may be close on the tow / haul limit on the F150. You "may" be able to do it, but hardware does have design limits and working "near/over" design does have drawbacks.

Will you be on flatland or mountain terrain when towing?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
You will exceed the legal payload of an F150. Can it "do it", yes. Is it "legal" no. You will need an F250 with tow package and payload package of 10,000#. I would do diesel, but that's me (and a number of others). You payload is everything you put in the truck, except what came with it and fuel. In other words - you, your partner, your stuff, your bike and the hitch weight, including the ball mount assembly itself. Bike is probably around 750#, tongue or hitch on 30' is 880#, it's actually closer to 1,000. But figuring on their numbers with just those two things you are at 1,630#, close to your payload on an F150.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Yep, a gas 6.2 F-250 with a 4:30 rear ratio will do you a fine job and save you $8,000 for a diesel engine. If I were you, I would order one the way you want it setup as it will be hard to find one with the options you may want. Keep us posted.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Where are there "legal" requirements.
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Don't think you will find them "posted" anywhere, but if you do get into an accident, any good lawyer is going to have a field day with your overloaded rig. And I'm not so sure your insurance company is going to stand behind you if it can be proven that your vehicle was in excess of its rated abilities. It's pretty simple: If you play with math, you WILL lose.
I would never want to exceed 85% of my tow vehicles capabilities. Your opinion may vary.
Not tryiing to be a smartalec in any way. And please don't feel I am insulting your intelligence. I am not!
I just prefer to stay on the safe side of the equation. Some on here don't mind pushing their towing limits further than 85%. Not my cup of tea.
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipsinewe View Post
Where are there "legal" requirements.
Here ya go.. in Texas...
http://dps.texas.gov/schoolbus/1998specs/1998specs2.pdf
Old 03-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHatteras View Post
I would never want to exceed 85% of my tow vehicles capabilities. Your opinion may vary.
I don't understand that 85% thing. I already assume the automaker has rated their vehicle at a rating they feel is nowhere near the breaking point, so why not use all the capacity they say you have?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Check out the F150 in a regular or extended cab with the max payload and max trailer tow package. That might work, using either the 3.5 liter Ecoboost or 5 liter V-8 engines. The issue probably isn't going to be towing capacity; its payload. You will not find this truck on a lot and you will have to get the longer bed (which you probably need for the 'cycle anyway.
Just as a point of reference, on the drivers side door frame is a yellow and red sticker that gives the rated payload for that particular vehicle. Some things that eat into payload: extra capacity fuel tank, sunroof, power seats. The payload sticker assumes a full tank of fuel and a 175 lb. driver. Everybody and everything else is "payload." The advantage of the maxed out F150 over the F250 is that you're carrying around at least 1000 lbs less truck, with benefits to unladen fuel economy and unladen acceleration. Oddly, there doesn't seem to be much of a fuel economy difference towing--expect about 10 mpg in most conditions. Reportedly, the F250 is a pretty rough ride- empty or laden. I haven't driven it, so I can't say. I can say the Chevy and Ram 2500s are not punishing.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Big difference between legal, recommended and using prudent common sense.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 621. GENERAL PROVISIONS RELATING TO VEHICLE SIZE AND WEIGHT
Sec. 621.406. ADDITIONAL GROSS WEIGHT REGISTRATION. (a) If the gross weight of the motor vehicle is not heavier than the maximum gross weight allowed for the vehicle but is heavier than the registered gross weight for the vehicle, the weight enforcement officer shall require the operator or owner of the vehicle to apply to the nearest available county assessor-collector to increase the gross weight for which the vehicle is registered to a weight equal to or heavier than the gross weight of the vehicle before the operator or owner may proceed.
(b) The vehicle may not be operated further over the public highways or roads of the state until the registered gross weight of the vehicle has been increased as required by Subsection (a) unless the load consists of livestock or perishable merchandise, in which event the operator or owner may proceed with the vehicle in the direction of the vehicle's destination to the nearest practical location at which the vehicle's load can be protected from damage or destruction before increasing the registered weight.
(c) If an operator or owner is found to be carrying a load that is heavier than the load allowed for the registered gross weight of the vehicle, the operator or owner shall pay for the registration of the additional weight for the entire period for which the vehicle is registered without regard to whether the owner or operator has been carrying similar loads from the date of purchase of the vehicle's current license registration for that registration period.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Now, a recent 'discussion' found that if a Vehicle manufacturer discovers a vehicle had 'exceeded design specification' by over loading or over speed or in any way 'modified' the vehicle beyond design limits, all 'warranty' and 'legal recourse' was forfieted.

Same may apply to your insurance coverage. The obvious being they 'insure' based upon 'managed risk'. If a claim is filed (by you or someone you have an 'accident' with), then it is discovered that you used the vehicle in a manner exceeding it's design limits, they 'might' decline to cover the incident.

So....... that kinda sounds legal...
Old 03-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
As soon as you said "Harley" you put yourself into a F250 or 350.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
To back up all these legal claims can anyone site actual case law where a judge has found that if a privately owned travel trailer owner overloaded said travel trailer or tow vehicle and was involved in an accident or had a warrenty claim and was found quilty or at fault of any crimes or that warrenty was voided?

Quoting Internet discussions or commercial vehicle statues does not count.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
i don't think its the courts you have to worry about, it will be your insurance carrier. why not just ask your insurance agent the question?
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
To back up all these legal claims can anyone site actual case law where a judge has found that if a privately owned travel trailer owner overloaded said travel trailer or tow vehicle and was involved in an accident or had a warrenty claim and was found quilty or at fault of any crimes or that warrenty was voided?

Quoting Internet discussions or commercial vehicle statues does not count.
While "voiding an entire warranty" is rare, I have denied an otherwise qualified warranty repair due to overloading, dozens of times over the years.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I don't think the questions from the OP had much to do with towing capacity, either the F150 or F250 could be configured to tow the trailer.

They do have to do with payload, and I do think that is a legal issue. My province considers GVWR for recreational vehicles, as an example. They use weigh scales to decide, and they focus on obviously overloaded vehicles in terms of enforcement.

Overloading doesn't void a warranty. Warranty is for defective parts and materials, and overloading doesn't change that definition. If a failure is due to overloading, it wasn't warrantable in the first place.

As to F150 vs F250, the requirement appears to be well over 2000 lbs payload (not knowing the exact weight of the Harley, or how much other cargo), in addition to an appropriate tow rating. Both are easily achievable with an F150 with HD payload, as long as one is willing to restrict other choices. It will be a regular cab, it will have an 8' box. I built an XLT with 3.5 Ecoboost that came in over 3000 lbs payload, which would likely work, but it didn't have many other options on it. If you want a loaded up vehicle, or a higher trim level, or a larger cab, that steers the OP towards an F250.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I asked my dealer about hitch reinforcement (I don't plan to do this, just wanted to know the dealer's position) and he said part of my warranty will be voided. I also asked about installing chips to tune the engine. He said, it would also void part of the warranty.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Thanks everyone! That was a lot of info. If I didn't have the Harley and it is 770#. The F150 would be fine, correct? But then, I would miss it if I didn't have it.
As for travel location, it is a truck with an Airstream, I'm going everywhere. Mostly Midwest to CO, AZ and TX. I travel a lot of it now, but want to take my home with me.
Silverfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Have fun!
So, do you have an associate or friend who could loan you an F150 to rig out how you hope to use it? No modifications... just load, hitch and see what happens... how it feels.. etc..

Then, make the decision for yourself.

I know, it is never a concern that anyone might misuse their authority and shut you out of your warranty or insurance... =|

It was our choice to be 'prepared'... AS like ours are being towed by F150s and 1500's. But, after a couple of 'close calls' in traffic and the reality that our 'environment' is so dynamic, our choice of the 2500 Duramax 4x4 crew cab works for us..