Old 03-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #15
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
i don't think its the courts you have to worry about, it will be your insurance carrier. why not just ask your insurance agent the question?

Old 03-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
To back up all these legal claims can anyone site actual case law where a judge has found that if a privately owned travel trailer owner overloaded said travel trailer or tow vehicle and was involved in an accident or had a warrenty claim and was found quilty or at fault of any crimes or that warrenty was voided?

Quoting Internet discussions or commercial vehicle statues does not count.
While "voiding an entire warranty" is rare, I have denied an otherwise qualified warranty repair due to overloading, dozens of times over the years.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I don't think the questions from the OP had much to do with towing capacity, either the F150 or F250 could be configured to tow the trailer.

They do have to do with payload, and I do think that is a legal issue. My province considers GVWR for recreational vehicles, as an example. They use weigh scales to decide, and they focus on obviously overloaded vehicles in terms of enforcement.

Overloading doesn't void a warranty. Warranty is for defective parts and materials, and overloading doesn't change that definition. If a failure is due to overloading, it wasn't warrantable in the first place.

As to F150 vs F250, the requirement appears to be well over 2000 lbs payload (not knowing the exact weight of the Harley, or how much other cargo), in addition to an appropriate tow rating. Both are easily achievable with an F150 with HD payload, as long as one is willing to restrict other choices. It will be a regular cab, it will have an 8' box. I built an XLT with 3.5 Ecoboost that came in over 3000 lbs payload, which would likely work, but it didn't have many other options on it. If you want a loaded up vehicle, or a higher trim level, or a larger cab, that steers the OP towards an F250.

Jeff
Old 03-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I asked my dealer about hitch reinforcement (I don't plan to do this, just wanted to know the dealer's position) and he said part of my warranty will be voided. I also asked about installing chips to tune the engine. He said, it would also void part of the warranty.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Thanks everyone! That was a lot of info. If I didn't have the Harley and it is 770#. The F150 would be fine, correct? But then, I would miss it if I didn't have it.
As for travel location, it is a truck with an Airstream, I'm going everywhere. Mostly Midwest to CO, AZ and TX. I travel a lot of it now, but want to take my home with me.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Have fun!
So, do you have an associate or friend who could loan you an F150 to rig out how you hope to use it? No modifications... just load, hitch and see what happens... how it feels.. etc..

Then, make the decision for yourself.

I know, it is never a concern that anyone might misuse their authority and shut you out of your warranty or insurance... =|

It was our choice to be 'prepared'... AS like ours are being towed by F150s and 1500's. But, after a couple of 'close calls' in traffic and the reality that our 'environment' is so dynamic, our choice of the 2500 Duramax 4x4 crew cab works for us..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:38 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Thanks. I did not read every page, but this is a school bus regulation.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
To back up all these legal claims can anyone site actual case law where a judge has found that if a privately owned travel trailer owner overloaded said travel trailer or tow vehicle and was involved in an accident or had a warrenty claim and was found quilty or at fault of any crimes or that warrenty was voided?

Quoting Internet discussions or commercial vehicle statues does not count.
Agree completely. These discussions are fascinating, particularly when you consider this. The vehicle manufacturer, has complete control over what "number" they place on a vehicle (no "law" regulates how they determine tow capacity). And in nearly every case, they have no real logic behind how they came to that conclusion, other than the ONLY real reason, they would prefer that you buy a $60,000.00 vehicle over a $30,000.00 vehicle, plain and simple.

Then, all of us run around and say its the law. So, the vehicle manufacturer, by proxy (probably not the correct use of that word) becomes the regulating agency, that self determines dollar value for a vehicle. Its the perfect plan really.

That of course is only my internet opinion.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #23
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We're towing our Intl Signature 27fb with a Ram1500 gasser maxed out for towing. It's been absolutely great across the country, but if our trailer had more tongue weight or we tossed another 750+ pounds in the bed, we'd want a 2500 with a nice big payload capacity.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The "legal" docs quoted above are for....school busses. Check the link.

Having said that, with a Harley I too would go 250 minimal. Its just too heavy.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
2015 Ford F-150 | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com

Any of the cab sizes can be configured for ~3000lbs payload in 4x2 or 2700lbs in 4x4 with heavy duty payload package. I would opt for the v8 over the Ecoboost. Any of those 2700-3000lbs models should be fine even with the Harley. Figure 770lbs for the Harley and you still have ~2000lbs of payload even in a 4x4.

Tow rating is over 10klbs on any of the ecoboost or v8 models.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipsinewe View Post
...The vehicle manufacturer, has complete control over what "number" they place on a vehicle (no "law" regulates how they determine tow capacity). And in nearly every case, they have no real logic behind how they came to that conclusion, other than the ONLY real reason, they would prefer that you buy a $60,000.00 vehicle over a $30,000.00 vehicle, plain and simple.
There is now a towing standard called J2807 which defines a set of standardized tests for deciding the tow rating of vehicles. The car manufacturers cannot just slap a random number on a vehicle anymore.

Unfortunately, the theory that car manufacturers intentionally down rate certain type of vehicles to push customers to high profit margin trucks does not fly, as European manufacturers are NOT in the truck market in North America, yet they rate their sedans/minivans similar to domestic brands. This seems more related to capability not profit.

Also, there are RV guidelines in every state/province. Many of them state the same things as the school bus guideline mentions ("do not exceed the payload", "Do not exceed the tow rating", ...). Google would be your friend here.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar View Post
2015 Ford F-150 | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com

Any of the cab sizes can be configured for ~3000lbs payload in 4x2 or 2700lbs in 4x4 with heavy duty payload package. I would opt for the v8 over the Ecoboost. Any of those 2700-3000lbs models should be fine even with the Harley. Figure 770lbs for the Harley and you still have ~2000lbs of payload even in a 4x4.

Tow rating is over 10klbs on any of the ecoboost or v8 models.
Be careful though, those figures are typically "maximum" and reflect low trim levels (like work trucks). The true capacity shrinks pretty dramatically as you add the realistic creature comforts most of us wind up with.

Some careful math is needed here, between actual payload, AS loaded TW, actual Harley weight, passengers, and any other stuff desired in the truck.

I still think, a 150/1500 is borderline, at best.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #28
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
There is now a towing standard called J2807 which defines a set of standardized tests for deciding the tow rating of vehicles. The car manufacturers cannot just slap a random number on a vehicle anymore.
Well, they don't have to follow the SAE standard for a start. And if they do, they don't have to quote the maximum, just what they tested to.

But this is all a distraction. The OP asked about F150 and F250 given his situation, which includes a Harley in the bed. Given that either of the above trucks can be configured for the tow rating required, with room to spare, why does it matter?

Back to the payload question, you can get an F150 with sufficient payload, but maybe not the trim level or cab configuration you might want. If you want an XLT regular cab with an 8 foot box, doesn't look like a problem.

And given that weights (axle, tire, GVWR) are a legal issue (federal standards, state and provincial rules, etc) then talking about payload makes sense. Talking about school buses and J2807,not so much.

Jeff