Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Sevierville , Tennessee
Towing an Overlander with a Lincoln Navigator

I'm about to make a journey with my 2000 4x4 Lincoln Navigator to pick up and eventually use with a 1965 26' Overlander. The vehicle is prepared with a heavy duty hitch and I'm sure is well within the capabilities of the vehicle.
Could anyone of you direct me to a site which can provide me with the "dos" and "don'ts" of towing and Airstream.. ie: going up and grades, using other gears, stopping distances, etc. I'm not new to towing, having towed my 22' 1956 Chris Craft to many boat shows... the A/S world and towing this "silver beauty" is new to me and thought I'd seek any wise sages out there for a knowedgable response.
Thanks.
Director
Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Director
I'm about to make a journey with my 2000 4x4 Lincoln Navigator to pick up and eventually use with a 1965 26' Overlander. The vehicle is prepared with a heavy duty hitch and I'm sure is well within the capabilities of the vehicle.
Could anyone of you direct me to a site which can provide me with the "dos" and "don'ts" of towing and Airstream.. ie: going up and grades, using other gears, stopping distances, etc. I'm not new to towing, having towed my 22' 1956 Chris Craft to many boat shows... the A/S world and towing this "silver beauty" is new to me and thought I'd seek any wise sages out there for a knowedgable response.
Thanks.
Director
The first problem is that travel trailers tow very differently from loaded boat trailers.

The second is that you have a short wheel base vehicle. Not good.

The third is that it's a 4 x 4, which at best becomes very difficult to install a load equalizing hitch, and make it work properly, because of the excessive spring rates that are on it.

I would suggest that you consider a different tow vehicle for that 26 foot Airstream, certainly something with a much longer wheel base, and also without being a 4 x 4.

Many people can help you on this Forums, but you have to start with something that's workable, as far as a proper or acceptable tow vehicle is concerned.

Horsepower is not everything, rigidity works against you, and the hitch, and causes many types of damages to the trailer.

On the other hand, a long wheel base, that offers the trailer a soft ride, with adequate horsepower, is the way to go.

What you are suggesting, is like the tail wagging the dog.

Bottom line, in one word.

Don't.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Towing your Airstream

I tow with a 2005 Expedition which is basically the same truck. Mine is only 2wd. I have a 1962 28' Ambassador which is well within the limits of my Expedition. This is my first TT and I too used to tow a boat. My advice is as follows: Do not tow in overdrive, this overworks the transmission and can cause premature failure. When decending steep grades, I drop down to 2nd gear and keep the rpm's no higher than 3750 my Expedition holds nicely and I rarely have to brake. I do not notice a huge difference in stopping distance since my AS has new electric brakes that work very well. I would invest in a good brake controller, I use the Prodigy which works very well and was simple to install into the factory harness on my Expedition. Next I would definitely use a weight distribution hitch and an anti sway control. I towed mine a couple of times without and there is a very noticeable difference. I purchased a used system from Craigs List. I have had no issues with the system.

Well, I hope that is useful information.

Congrats on your Airstream.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
It's not THAT bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
... What you are suggesting, is like the tail wagging the dog. ...
A Lincoln Navigator does not appear to be a lightweight in the towing category:

I have no idea of it's tow rating (I'm a GMC man), but I'm willing to bet it could handle the 4200 pounds or so that a '65 Overlander weighs.

While I agree with the man from Corona that a long wheelbase is better for towing, your proposed setup is not a death trap.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi director and welcome to the forums!

most of the 'do's and don'ts' are the same for towing any travel trailer...

and can be found in many of the towing threads here...

-more roadway space is needed for 2 vehicles
-acceleration takes longer
-stopping takes longer
-turning requires a later/larger apex
-handling is different
-wind and large passing trucks are more noticeable
-rear view is compromised
-fuel stops and pull offs require more space/planning
-tight/narrow roadways will feel tighter

-loading requires planning so adequate tongue mass is maintained
-more tires to check and check them all
-more lights to check and check them all
-more lug nuts to torque and check them all
-watch the temp/tranny and tach on long uphill grades
-watch the brakes/tranny and temp on long downhill grades

-check the hitch/ball/coupler/chains/umbilical, then check 'em again

-PUT THE TV ANTENNA DOWN!

-do not hurry
-go to an empty lot and practice backing up

do not squeeze into tight spots intentionally,
it will happen often enough UNintentionally

get a good hitch/receiver/antisway/weight distribution setup and have it properly installed

most importantly HAVE A GREAT TIME!

_your tow vehicle is plenty adequate for the vintage unit in question...
_4x4 is NOT a problem on modern vehicles...
_inflate the tv tires to reflect the added loads of towing

-make sure the trailer brakes are in top shape and with adequate shoes/magnets/pads

get your rig (the full setup) weighed, AFTER you've loaded everything...

take pictures and post your experiences here!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Towing Specs for Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
A Lincoln Navigator does not appear to be a lightweight in the towing category:

I have no idea of it's tow rating (I'm a GMC man), but I'm willing to bet it could handle the 4200 pounds or so that a '65 Overlander weighs.

While I agree with the man from Corona that a long wheelbase is better for towing, your proposed setup is not a death trap.

Tom

2000 Lincoln Navigator

Description

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I believe your navigator may do better than expected. I found the coments on 4 wheel drive interesting. I have 4 wheel drive on my 08 f150. You can read from other comments I love the truck towing a much heavier 2004 safari. I am not an expert but I know what works. Your navigator is basically a f150 and I now mine is 8 years newer, but still??? I would try going slow and working up, get it properly set up by a good rv dealer with hitch and brake controller. Good luck
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Director
Thanks.
Director
If you haven't seen it already, take a look at this thread.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote