Old 07-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
I have a 2000 v10 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 - all factory equipped. My only problem is finding a drop shank that will allow the ball height and trailer coupler height to match as needed. Still trying to find the right combo. Good luck - the 34' is a nice rig!

tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
What to expect

After the holidays I plan to list my current 25'er for sale here on the classifieds and get something bigger.

I have been working with a dealer this week on an order for a 30 Classic Limited (twins). However, they have a 34' on the lot with twins, and are getting pretty aggressive with pricing here at year-end.

While I believe I now have plenty of TV (F250 crewcab with 6.4 PSD), I am concerned about the overall towing experience with the additional approx. 4 ft and the third axle. I have read about the rear drag issue, etc. But what else should I expect in the towing experience in going from a 25' to a 34'? And/or, what would be the difference in what I plan to purchase in a 30 CL versus the 34'?

Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #17
_

. , .
hi chris

we've had several long thread discussions of the virtues n vices of owning a 34, and compared to 30/31 or smaller.

providing one has an adequate mule here are a few points.

-backing into sites requires pulling FORWARD more, before initiating the reverse/turn...

-the rear end swing will be more obvious with a longer stream.

-the tires will 'roll' or scuff a bit on tighter turns.

-there is the issue of maintaining 6 brakes, hubs, tires n rims.

-often ANOTHER set of leveling blocks is needed (i carry 3 sets)

-rear overhang/drag can happen but simply adjusting approach angle or going slower, often solves this.

-there are 'sacrificial rub rails' at the rear, so USE THEM! (i've dragged 4-5 times in 100k miles towing)

-one must be AWARE of filling stations and tight spots, i use the trucker lanes 90% of the time.

-one can always UNhitch if needed (to get fuel or explore a campground in advance)

-everyone worries about the INSIDE corner and scraping, but the tail swings W I D E, so outside clearance matters too.

-i doubt that there is much (any) appreciable difference between dragging a 30 or a 34.

u will notice the UPsize going from a 25 but adapt quickly.

they are all the same size in the rear view mirrors...

while there is a bit more closet space, galley space and OPEN floor space in the front of a 34,

it's not that much bigger inside and the bathroom layout in the 30 MIGHT be more appealing.

34s and 31 have the entire bath/lav street side.

30s (same size as 31s) have a S P L....I T shower/lav/toilet.

so the bathrooms seems more OPEN in a 30, but the hall way is BLOCKED while in use.

the 34s have a longer narrower hall but showering/toilet use doesn't cut the stream in half.

i really like having 3 axles and the extra/open lounge area...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ius-21649.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...lla-40052.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f181...rks-41443.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...6-a-54968.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ella-1911.html

i am not a fan of having 2 skylights, which means that much more heating or cooling issues.

u may really WANT a 2nd ac in a 34, especially liv'n in the south.

i get by fine with 1 15,000 btu ac but try to avoid hot/humid locations in the summer.

(vernon--hihoagrv-see post #6 ) went from a 29/30 to a 34 last year and can give first hand views on living with both sizes.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

it's not that much bigger inside and the bathroom layout in the 30 MIGHT be more appealing.

i get by fine with 1 15,000 btu ac but try to avoid hot/humid locations in the summer.

cheers
2air'
2air,
As always, thanks for the reply.

I appreciate the towing experience insight as well as your thoughts relative to floorplan.

I think my mule would handle the 34. However, I am, for whatever reason, extremely nervous about that additional 4 feet and weight (i.e., would I still have adequate tow capacity margin - I don't want to be on the bubble again).

The bathroom layout in the 30 is indeed much more appealing us when compared to the 34 or 31 models. We are not too crazy about the prospect of bathing our small children in such a confined area as those models offer. The split bath set-up makes bathing a 6 and 3 year-old easier.

I can appreciate your feedback on the a/c's. Both the 34 they have on the lot and the 30 I am leaning toward ordering have the 2nd bedroom 13.5k air conditioner.

I don't know. Decisions, decisions...

-Chris
Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #19
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
...I think my mule would handle the 34. However, I am, for whatever reason, extremely nervous about that additional 4 feet and weight (i.e., would I still have adequate tow capacity margin - I don't want to be on the bubble again)...
having used an 05 f-250 with the 34 for about 80,000 miles of towing,

and having driven the 6.4 L version u own, the crewcab/short bed 08-250 is very capable.

with the pp as your hitch'n tool that is another bonus.

the weight difference between a modern 30 and 34 is small,

and 3 axles improves support and stability.

it is possible to exceed (or get close) to the payload depending on how much gear is carried in the truck.

i did add 1 leaf spring (per side) to the 250 after 10s of thousands of miles towing...

but your truck is very capable and has the towing capacity for either large stream.

good luck deciding, i am a big fan of ordering EXACTLY what is wanted, when one knows what they want.

but it is nice they decided to make a few 34s this year.
_______

IF the plan is to have the kiddos use the twin bed/rear,

it would be useful for mom/dad to close off the hall doors in the 34,

and imagine using the front 2/3s of the stream after bedding down vs the a bit less space in the 30.

for example, pull out the sofa to the bed position and look at floor space.

then imagine breakfast in the galley/dinette of each unit.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
I agee with 2air. The 34' triple axle tows like a dream with the right TV and Hensley Hitch. I would not have anything else. I did take out the bathroom wall, see my images, so my bath now reaches from side to side. It's mostly me and my wife, but when we have guests we just close the accordian slide for privacy.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
i am not a fan of having 2 skylights, which means that much more heating or cooling issues.

I had to come back to this with an update.

I agree, I am not crazy about the one skylight I have in my 25 much less the prospect of two of them in the new one (additional light waking up the kids at the crack of dawn, and the heating & cooling considerations).

I am working to finalize an order for a 30 this week, and asked the dealer to request it be built with no skylights. Their AS rep came back with a response that included the expected $500 deviation fee and added that they could not guarantee that it wouldn't come off the production line without the skylights since they have one worker whose only function is to cut the skylights out - if he forgets the special order request - too bad! That response just sort of shocked me...
Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #22
_

. , .
the hallway skylight is functional, in that it lights the windowless hall nicely.

but the lounge skylight is simply a heat/cold gap and eventual leak.

it also takes up space that might better go toward solar panels some day.

the vista views provide plenty of indirect light in the lounge and are glass, not plastic.

Quote:
...Their AS rep came back with a response that included the expected $500 deviation fee and added that they could not guarantee that it wouldn't come off the production line without the skylights since they have one worker whose only function is to cut the skylights out - if he forgets the special order request - too bad...
it's silly enough that one must pay extra to leave OUT stuff like holes or carpet...

but my response to this would be...

"and if it shows up with things NOT on the order, find another buyer"

send an email to b. wheeler (prez) and d. schumann (customer relations) about this issue now, or write a paper letter to them.

if they can't guarantee basic construction issues like holes or LACK there of, it's time for a change at the plant.

cheers
2air'

Old 01-18-2011, 12:03 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Open Road , USA
Quote:
asked the dealer to request it be built with no skylights. Their AS rep came back with a response that included the expected $500 deviation fee
Ha, what a joke!

If I were in that position, I'd just order them with fans and then install the black FanMate or similar covers over them. Probably cost about the same amount, allow you to vent while staying dry and hopefully that black cover will help cut out some of the light too.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
What I learned today...
Not only is it a "too bad" type situation (you are not getting exactly what you want on your special order), but also AS will not issue a credit to the dealer for the $500 deviation fees. So, in my case, the trade difference $amount includes consideration for these $500 hits. Therefore, the dealer (who seems to have a good reputation per this forum) says they will not be issuing a credit to me if it comes back with carpet and sky lights. That risk is passed down from AS to the dealer then to me.

...seems unacceptable to me. I plan to call AS tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #25
_

. , .
an ordered trailer is just an order.

it's NOT yours until you sign the purchase order.

like closing on a house or buying a car ALL of the pre purchase stuff is just that PRE.

while they might ask for a deposit, you should have that deposit specified as REFUNDABLE pending the final purchase acceptance.

do NOT buying this unit, until AFTER it arrives.

for example, there might be construction issues, major defects or other things that only become obvious AFTER it arrives.

don't buy blindly and don't agree to the final purchase before inspecting the unit.

they might apply pressure to sign a purchase agreement early (like now) but that isn't required and need not happen.

yes the dealer takes some risk this way, but every trailer they buy comes with the risks of selling it.
_________

for example, image that a/s had a construction delay of months, or your financial status or health change...

would you still be on the hook for it?

imagine it's damaged in transit or the wrong color, or some other gotcha...

suppose you damage the trade in unit BEFORE the new unit arrives...

would the dealer still give you the same $$ trade value?

of course not.
_________

so 2 restate this again...

it's not your unit until you sign the final purchase agreement,

and don't do that until after it arrives, has been inspected and so on.

everything signed NOW should be "pre" liminary and written with the phrase...

"subject to final approval/acceptance by the customer"

don't be bullied into some other arrangement.

cheers
2air'

Old 01-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

I don't think I've ever disagreed with 2air, however I have 2 skylights and like them. Just depends on your individual taste. Maybe it cost a bit more to cool or heat, but most of the time I'm using the outside fresh air anyway. And the small difference in cost is more than offset I think by the aesthetic value. Everthing can't be measure in $.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #27
_

. , .
disagreement is good!

absolutely some folks like 2 skylights...

some folks might want the entire roof translucent!

and in some mild parts of the country there is no heating/cooling penalty from solar penetration.

many of the 34 SLIDE units do not have vista view windows on both sides in the lounge area,

so the lounge sky light is then a nice feature.

also most 34 slides have 2 air conditioners.

does yours have 2 a/c and no vista views up front?

i know a couple that like total darkness in the bedroom,

so they blocked all the windows and the skylight and the vent/fan with black laminate vinyl.

many wayz to cut cheese.

cheers
2air'

Old 01-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #28
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Upsize from 25ft to 34ft

If all goes well we will be up sizing from a 2004 25 ft Safari to 2005 34 Classic next week. The TV will also be upgraded from a 2004 Yukon Denali to a 2004 Dodge 2500 CumminTurboD, 2WD (24K miles) with a HA. Never towed with a diesel before or any trailer that long. Any words of wisdom with do's and dont's is appreciated.

Best,

Titu

2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
34', towing