Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I totally agree with mefly2. We are on our way to Alaska now and I'm following our friends with a F150 and a 19' Bambi. It does fine on most of the roads, but when we reach steep grades I have to slow down to stay behind. I have a 2011 F250 diesel 4WD with the 6 speed automatic towing a 27' Flying Cloud which is at least 9,000 lbs loaded. The truck bed is also loaded. I can leave my truck in cruise control and it will maintain speed on any grade. The torque is amazing. So far averaging about 13-14 mpg. My friend's F150/Bambi combo is getting about the same mileage even though he figures his Bambi is about 5,000 lbs. and his truck is much lighter than mine.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tenino , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
I agree but know that we don't have that scenerio here with the proposed combination.

For a perspective we towed our 23' with a Nissan Van which had 40% less power than the Highlander. We cruised all day at highway speeds. Handled great with no drama.
Road Ruler: Your post makes me a little more hopeful about our potential combo, yet others here seem to have other opinions. When you towed with your van, did you also go up and down mountains or towed mostly on level ground? I so appreciate you taking the time to write. Thanks so much!!
Pam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tenino , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
The Lesson is "NEVER TRUST A DEALER" I once had a rv dealer tell me my 01' 4-runner could tow a 22' Outback with no trouble. Well and new it couldn't. We had slowed way down going up the mountains with just our 1500# popup.

It depends on the Vehicle, We have a 08 Sequoia and I have towed past it's capacity on 10 mile trips going up and down 2000 ft in elevation and it was fine. I don't recommend this. Our AS is 4000# less than it's max tow rating and I don't even notice it after 50 miles. When you push that limit up you become more and more aware that you are towing. That doesn't make it unsafe, you just have to be a little more aware, and realize your not out for a Sunday drive. But remember dry weight and packed weight are two different things.
I hear you about the "Lesson". The AS dealer in Seattle tells us they would never let us purchase too hefty a trailer for our tow vehicle because they would be liable from a safety perspective if they did. I want to believe them.....but I'm old enough to be a bit cynical about such things. Thanks for writing.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tenino , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Our highlander is NOT 4 wheel drive. We pull our airstream to Colorado from Texas. It's a steady incline. Haven't pulled it over mountains though.

We have a weight distributing hitch. We bought it at an rv store. They keep the Trailer from swaying and they also level out the car and the trailer.

We tow with the overdrive off.

I don't know about the weight difference of our globetrotter and the newer bambi.

If you have any more questions let me know, I'll be happy to answer them if I can.
Hi Autumn,
Thanks for the reply...another person on this forum did say that the weights would be completely different between the 2 AS...and I would have absolutely zero idea about that. Do you have any thoughts on what your dry weight is?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
San Antonio , Texas
I googled and came up with 2890 pounds. Don't know if it's correct, it sent me to a link here on the forum. Hope this helps!
Airstream76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Our diesel pickup truck transmission has only shifted out of high gear on relatively steep inclines twice in 3k miles towing the AS ... torque is the factor here... it just never seems to lug. We find that incredible (AMAZING and have discussed it at length) when compared to our previous gas powered truck never seeming to be in the right gear - always hunting up or down / shifting on an incline.

We are no longer capacity, horsepower, torque, braking, or safety challenged with impatient drivers behind us on the Rocky Mountain passes / hills and wear huge smiles all the towing long day! The diffenence in pleasure and comfort (spell that F-U-N )for us is off the scale... but there is a cost. Now that we have experienced the difference we can personally justify the additional cost of diesel... just like we can easily justify the cost of the AS over SOB. YMMV
Thanks... we're talking in the context of V6 Highlanders here... not freight trains.

Question: Can a Highlander V6 pull a 19 footer?
Answer: Yes.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam777 View Post
Road Ruler: Your post makes me a little more hopeful about our potential combo, yet others here seem to have other opinions. When you towed with your van, did you also go up and down mountains or towed mostly on level ground? I so appreciate you taking the time to write. Thanks so much!!
Hi Pam... With the van we towed our 2,000lb coleman pop up up many grades out west, Vermount, etc but with the Airstream only hills in Ontario.

We now tow with a vehicle that has a 3.5V6 and the power as amazing even with the Airstream in tow. There are numberous accounts of V6 cars/vehicles towing Airstreams up mountain passes.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The discussion is about towing a late model 19' Airstream.

What does that have to do with diesel pickups? Ridiculously inappropriate.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I don't think any SUV can be called a great tow-vehicle - short wheel-base and high centre of gravity don't lend themselves to dragging something behind them that weighs as much or more than they do.

Having said that:

Our 02 Bambi has been towed by a V6 SUV for just over 81,000 KM - first by an 03 Pathfinder - and then we traded "up" to an 09 Pathfinder.

As already mentioned earlier - we sought and received great advice and assistance from Can Am RV in improving and setting-up a tow package. We switched to LT tires and installed a Hensley. In an instant there was an incredible, even unbelievable, increase in towing comfort and perceived safety.

The 03 Pathfinder was a slightly smaller motor and vehicle than the 09. We did not tow in overdrive - which leaves that motor running at roughly 3,000 RPM @ 100 KM/HR - but it did so comfortably all day every day. That vehicle took us to the Black Hills, Grand Canyon, Smokey Mountains, Newfoundland and all places inbetween - it served us well (still does - my son owns it) - after all was said and done I would call it "OK" for our trailer.

The 09 Pathfinder is a little heavier with a little more grunt power - it definitely has improved towing performance and comfort. We still use a Hensley (wouldn't have anything else) but had to have Can AM fabricate a custom stinger for it. This combination has done a lot of Canadian Shield country and last year it took us to Alaska and back on a 2-month road trip. I would call this vehicle "good" for our trailer - but would emphasize that the Hensley has a lot to do with our comfort level.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The discussion is about towing a late model 19' Airstream.

What does that have to do with diesel pickups? Ridiculously inappropriate.

doug k
I think you missed the point. The question boils down to power/torque/weight ratio which ultimately answers the question.

Can a small SUV pull a 19' AS? Probably.
Will it do well pulling long grades or passing other vehicles? Maybe not.
And if it can't, will I experience frustration and stress? Probably Yes.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tenino , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
I don't think any SUV can be called a great tow-vehicle - short wheel-base and high centre of gravity don't lend themselves to dragging something behind them that weighs as much or more than they do.

Having said that:

Our 02 Bambi has been towed by a V6 SUV for just over 81,000 KM - first by an 03 Pathfinder - and then we traded "up" to an 09 Pathfinder.

As already mentioned earlier - we sought and received great advice and assistance from Can Am RV in improving and setting-up a tow package. We switched to LT tires and installed a Hensley. In an instant there was an incredible, even unbelievable, increase in towing comfort and perceived safety.

The 03 Pathfinder was a slightly smaller motor and vehicle than the 09. We did not tow in overdrive - which leaves that motor running at roughly 3,000 RPM @ 100 KM/HR - but it did so comfortably all day every day. That vehicle took us to the Black Hills, Grand Canyon, Smokey Mountains, Newfoundland and all places inbetween - it served us well (still does - my son owns it) - after all was said and done I would call it "OK" for our trailer.

The 09 Pathfinder is a little heavier with a little more grunt power - it definitely has improved towing performance and comfort. We still use a Hensley (wouldn't have anything else) but had to have Can AM fabricate a custom stinger for it. This combination has done a lot of Canadian Shield country and last year it took us to Alaska and back on a 2-month road trip. I would call this vehicle "good" for our trailer - but would emphasize that the Hensley has a lot to do with our comfort level.

Jay
A Toyota owner told us that Toyota of Canada wrote this to them: "We would like to take this opportunity to mention that most hitch manufacturers only recommend weight distribution when towing over 5000 pounds; the Highlander has a max. tow capacity of 5000 lbs. Weight distribution hitches put a great deal of strain on the frame of the vehicle. Unibody vehicles are not built for this type of strain; The Highlander is a unibody that does not have a full frame, therefore it is not recommended to use with a weight distribution hitch". Does this info seem accurate with all that you know? Appreciate your post.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
I think you have to listen to what Toyota say. They built the truck they should know what it can and can not do.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
A Toyota owner told us that Toyota of Canada wrote this to them: "We would like to take this opportunity to mention that most hitch manufacturers only recommend weight distribution when towing over 5000 pounds; the Highlander has a max. tow capacity of 5000 lbs. Weight distribution hitches put a great deal of strain on the frame of the vehicle. Unibody vehicles are not built for this type of strain; The Highlander is a unibody that does not have a full frame, therefore it is not recommended to use with a weight distribution hitch". Does this info seem accurate with all that you know? Appreciate your post.
It appears the Toyota rep knows very little about the vehicles they sell and the fine art of towing.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
I think you missed the point. The question boils down to power/torque/weight ratio which ultimately answers the question.

Can a small SUV pull a 19' AS? Probably.
Will it do well pulling long grades or passing other vehicles? Maybe not.
And if it can't, will I experience frustration and stress? Probably Yes.
No. The question boils down to, they have a new Toyota Highlander and can they use it to tow a 19' Airstream?

The answer is "yes", and the experience is not likely to be stressful. And there are minor upgrades that can improve it.

The whole idea behind Airstreaming is not motoring effortlessly uphill, but bringing along all the comforts of home with the family car. If you don't believe me, ask Wally Byam.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
I can't speak directly to your Toyota frame question - but can tell you with absolute certainty - you will need a good weight distribution hitch.

A good towing experience is stress free - before we got that we changed pretty much everything about our towing set-up within the first couple of years.

Here is the list of things we did to make our own towing experience a more comfortable one:

- tires were upgraded to LT with a "D" series rating
- hitch was upgraded to a Hensley (ProPride is similar) with 1,000 lb bars - the stinger is custom fabricated to compensate for a high receiver on the 09 Pathfinder - the stinger is also an inch shorter to help offset the over-hang between the rear axle and the receiver.
- the brake controller has been upgraded to a Tekonsha P3 for the Boost feature.
- larger propane tanks have been swapped out for 20 lb tanks to help compensate for the extra weight of the Hensley.
- a ScanGuage II is mounted on the dash - among other things, this provides a direct readout of the engines water temperature.

What I learned the hard way (several times) is that when you own a vehicle that is towing close to its capacity:
- it pays to get the best advice you can
- it pays to get the best (and right) equipment the first time around
- it pays to keep it all well tuned and maintained.

The most knowledgeable towing "consultant" that I know is Andy at Can AM. Call him and take it from there.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not know the answer to the question. But I have see a big Airstream with a Hensly hitch that ripped the hitch receiver completly off of a Ford 250 diesel. I would read what Toyota said and try to get a hitch receiver that would take the load. Maybe with some supplemental bracing. And maybe use a Dual Cam or some other hitch that might not load the hitch like the HA does.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Pam,

Phone or e-mail Andy at Can Am RV, he will have customers that tow with Highlanders and will be able to tell you the pros and cons of using that tow vehicle with an Airstream. I know you live a long way from Ontario but he'll be happy to advise you on local shops that can set you up.

For the record, we tow a 2011 28' International with a Toyota Sienna minivan. Can Am RV set us up with a modified hitch, oil cooler, brake controller and weight distribution/sway control system and the combination works. I'm sure Andy will be able to tell you if your tow vehicle will work with your planned Airstream purchase.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
No. The question boils down to, they have a new Toyota Highlander and can they use it to tow a 19' Airstream?

The answer is "yes", and the experience is not likely to be stressful. And there are minor upgrades that can improve it.

The whole idea behind Airstreaming is not motoring effortlessly uphill, but bringing along all the comforts of home with the family car. If you don't believe me, ask Wally Byam.

doug k
Doug,

My thoughts exactly.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
We used a 2008 Highlander Hybrid to tow our '62 Globetrotter (2800 lbs, 19') around 8000 miles in all. From Chicago to southern California, up the coast and back through Wyoming and the high plains - a couple times!

We enjoyed ourselves very much and never felt we were in danger from a wheelbase or "tail wagging the dog" standpoint. And I'm extremely careful about not taking sway seriously. I did experience significant "V8 envy" in more hilly areas, and on any sort of extended grade we did find ourselves slowing way down, occasionally to 30 mph on 7% uphill grades.

On any flat or mildly hilly terrain we kept up with traffic just fine. Keep in mind, this was also with the hybrid's variable speed transmission (VST) which has its own little quirks while towing (i.e. don't bother trying to use cruise control, which only makes the engine work wildly with confusion).

We had a receiver installed by Andy Thompson, and will confirm what others have said here.. he instills a great deal of confidence with his years of research and knowledge on the science of towing.

In conclusion: you're talking about towing 4500 lbs, considerably more than our 2800. I can't imagine enjoying that with our Highlander. It's possible your non-hybrid is more peppy... but I imagine you might feel it's an inadequate tow vehicle for more than shorter, infrequent camping trips. Probably not unsafe if you have the hitch beefed up, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	costanoa.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	492.2 KB
ID:	159398  
Old 05-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I do not know the answer to the question. But I have see a big Airstream with a Hensly hitch that ripped the hitch receiver completly off of a Ford 250 diesel. I would read what Toyota said and try to get a hitch receiver that would take the load. Maybe with some supplemental bracing. And maybe use a Dual Cam or some other hitch that might not load the hitch like the HA does.
If things went that wrong, probably any hitch would have exploded...

The magic of a Hensley or similar is sometimes lost in what is really happening... any sway motion is 100% transferred to the tow vehicle... which means as long as the wheels have traction and nothing breaks - zero sway.

If things are completely out of whack, the forces twisting on that receiver would be immense, with no real feedback that anything is amiss... either the front wheels would have to slide, the truck bend in the middle, or the receiver fail...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote