Old 06-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Pam

I have been at Alumapoluza this weekend, I replied to your email today however it bounced back.

We have several customers with the same Highlander that you own as well as a large number with the Lexus version and Sienna's which use the same drive train. Most are towing 25-30' Airstreams and some quite extensively with trips to Alaska etc. That I know of all are quite pleased with them and we have had several move from older to newer ones.

The 19 or 22 are both easy for the Highlander. There will be no issues with handling stability etc. On some long grades you will shift down and climb in lower gears at about 3800 RPM but it will run on the level at 60 MPH in the 2300 RPM range. A large V8 or diesel will climb the hills 10 MPH faster but they will never save you enough time on hills to make up for the extra time you would spend in gas stations.

With either the 19 or 22 you absolutely must use a weight distribution hitch that is adjusted properly. I would suggest an Eaz-Lift brand with 600 lb. bars and a Husky friction sway control. There are no issues with the body structure, today unit body vehicles are actually much stronger than body on frame vehicles.

The Hitch that comes on the 08 Highlanders is not terrible but also not overly solid. Do you have the Factory trailer hitch or do you need to add one?

The picture below is a 1999 Lexus RX300 it was the first Toyota crossover we set up. This one had a 3.0 Ltre with a 5 speed transmission instead of the 3.5 and 6 speed that you have. It towed the 25 Safari to Alaska, Panama, New Foundland and several trips to California.

Andrew T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lexus Alaska.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	160033  

Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #44
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
TV mass vs AS mass ... very close; so, we generally reduce our travel speed accordingly.
I think you've hit it on the head right there... there is lots that can be done safely and enjoyably if the goal isn't climbing an 18% grade at 70mph...

Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Tenino , Washington
Andrew: THANK YOU!!!! Your input is invaluable and I really appreciate it! Sorry about the email bouncing; I just realized I hadn't updated it, but it's good to go now.

No, we don't have the Toyota receiver on our Highlander yet. Been calling around to get quotes on that. Do you have any recommendations about that part of it?

Again, thanks for your detailed (and helpful) response.
Pam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #46
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
baker , Nevada
I have a 2006 Hybrid Highlander and it tows my 1962 19' globetrotter great. I have anti sway bars and the dealer hitch. no problems.
voyager1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
Roseburg , Oregon
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Hi! We tow our 19 foot globetrotter with a 2003 highlander. Tows great!
Thanks for sharing! I plan to tow my '62 GT with a 2002 Highlander V6 and good to know.

ladypixie is offline   Reply With Quote