Old 05-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good point Friday. We tried our Tundra in overdrive but it shifted down so often, we got better mileage not using it. Diesels and large gas engines would be different.

doug k

Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
San antonio , Texas
Our highlander is NOT 4 wheel drive. We pull our airstream to Colorado from Texas. It's a steady incline. Haven't pulled it over mountains though.

We have a weight distributing hitch. We bought it at an rv store. They keep the Trailer from swaying and they also level out the car and the trailer.

We tow with the overdrive off.

I don't know about the weight difference of our globetrotter and the newer bambi.

If you have any more questions let me know, I'll be happy to answer them if I can.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
My 2 cents. With any TV, the manufactures set towing capacities and limits. While the manufacturer says their vehicle can safely tow (and stop) 3500 lbs., they don't say it will be fun at maximum weight. Struggling to maintain speed or pass slow trucks on long grades can be frustrating and stressful. Keeping your foot to the floor for hours in a strong headwind just wears you down. I would never combine a TV and trailer combination that will constantly be challenged at full capacity.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
My 2 cents. With any TV, the manufactures set towing capacities and limits. While the manufacturer says their vehicle can safely tow (and stop) 3500 lbs., they don't say it will be fun at maximum weight. Struggling to maintain speed or pass slow trucks on long grades can be frustrating and stressful. Keeping your foot to the floor for hours in a strong headwind just wears you down. I would never combine a TV and trailer combination that will constantly be challenged at full capacity.
I agree but know that we don't have that scenerio here with the proposed combination.

For a perspective we towed our 23' with a Nissan Van which had 40% less power than the Highlander. We cruised all day at highway speeds. Handled great with no drama.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Quest 1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	159273  
Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I would suggest there aren't many 5 or 6 speed transmissions that belong in top gear (overdrive if that is how it is labelled) when towing any kind of RV... You'll find the engines tend to lug and may even get worse mileage than dropping a gear.
Our diesel pickup truck transmission has only shifted out of high gear on relatively steep inclines twice in 3k miles towing the AS ... torque is the factor here... it just never seems to lug. We find that incredible (AMAZING and have discussed it at length) when compared to our previous gas powered truck never seeming to be in the right gear - always hunting up or down / shifting on an incline.

We are no longer capacity, horsepower, torque, braking, or safety challenged with impatient drivers behind us on the Rocky Mountain passes / hills and wear huge smiles all the towing long day! The diffenence in pleasure and comfort (spell that F-U-N )for us is off the scale... but there is a cost. Now that we have experienced the difference we can personally justify the additional cost of diesel... just like we can easily justify the cost of the AS over SOB. YMMV
Old 05-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
The Lesson is "NEVER TRUST A DEALER" I once had a rv dealer tell me my 01' 4-runner could tow a 22' Outback with no trouble. Well and new it couldn't. We had slowed way down going up the mountains with just our 1500# popup.

It depends on the Vehicle, We have a 08 Sequoia and I have towed past it's capacity on 10 mile trips going up and down 2000 ft in elevation and it was fine. I don't recommend this. Our AS is 4000# less than it's max tow rating and I don't even notice it after 50 miles. When you push that limit up you become more and more aware that you are towing. That doesn't make it unsafe, you just have to be a little more aware, and realize your not out for a Sunday drive. But remember dry weight and packed weight are two different things.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I totally agree with mefly2. We are on our way to Alaska now and I'm following our friends with a F150 and a 19' Bambi. It does fine on most of the roads, but when we reach steep grades I have to slow down to stay behind. I have a 2011 F250 diesel 4WD with the 6 speed automatic towing a 27' Flying Cloud which is at least 9,000 lbs loaded. The truck bed is also loaded. I can leave my truck in cruise control and it will maintain speed on any grade. The torque is amazing. So far averaging about 13-14 mpg. My friend's F150/Bambi combo is getting about the same mileage even though he figures his Bambi is about 5,000 lbs. and his truck is much lighter than mine.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tenino , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
I agree but know that we don't have that scenerio here with the proposed combination.

For a perspective we towed our 23' with a Nissan Van which had 40% less power than the Highlander. We cruised all day at highway speeds. Handled great with no drama.
Road Ruler: Your post makes me a little more hopeful about our potential combo, yet others here seem to have other opinions. When you towed with your van, did you also go up and down mountains or towed mostly on level ground? I so appreciate you taking the time to write. Thanks so much!!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tenino , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
The Lesson is "NEVER TRUST A DEALER" I once had a rv dealer tell me my 01' 4-runner could tow a 22' Outback with no trouble. Well and new it couldn't. We had slowed way down going up the mountains with just our 1500# popup.

It depends on the Vehicle, We have a 08 Sequoia and I have towed past it's capacity on 10 mile trips going up and down 2000 ft in elevation and it was fine. I don't recommend this. Our AS is 4000# less than it's max tow rating and I don't even notice it after 50 miles. When you push that limit up you become more and more aware that you are towing. That doesn't make it unsafe, you just have to be a little more aware, and realize your not out for a Sunday drive. But remember dry weight and packed weight are two different things.
I hear you about the "Lesson". The AS dealer in Seattle tells us they would never let us purchase too hefty a trailer for our tow vehicle because they would be liable from a safety perspective if they did. I want to believe them.....but I'm old enough to be a bit cynical about such things. Thanks for writing.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tenino , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Our highlander is NOT 4 wheel drive. We pull our airstream to Colorado from Texas. It's a steady incline. Haven't pulled it over mountains though.

We have a weight distributing hitch. We bought it at an rv store. They keep the Trailer from swaying and they also level out the car and the trailer.

We tow with the overdrive off.

I don't know about the weight difference of our globetrotter and the newer bambi.

If you have any more questions let me know, I'll be happy to answer them if I can.
Hi Autumn,
Thanks for the reply...another person on this forum did say that the weights would be completely different between the 2 AS...and I would have absolutely zero idea about that. Do you have any thoughts on what your dry weight is?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
San antonio , Texas
I googled and came up with 2890 pounds. Don't know if it's correct, it sent me to a link here on the forum. Hope this helps!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Our diesel pickup truck transmission has only shifted out of high gear on relatively steep inclines twice in 3k miles towing the AS ... torque is the factor here... it just never seems to lug. We find that incredible (AMAZING and have discussed it at length) when compared to our previous gas powered truck never seeming to be in the right gear - always hunting up or down / shifting on an incline.

We are no longer capacity, horsepower, torque, braking, or safety challenged with impatient drivers behind us on the Rocky Mountain passes / hills and wear huge smiles all the towing long day! The diffenence in pleasure and comfort (spell that F-U-N )for us is off the scale... but there is a cost. Now that we have experienced the difference we can personally justify the additional cost of diesel... just like we can easily justify the cost of the AS over SOB. YMMV
Thanks... we're talking in the context of V6 Highlanders here... not freight trains.

Question: Can a Highlander V6 pull a 19 footer?
Answer: Yes.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam777 View Post
Road Ruler: Your post makes me a little more hopeful about our potential combo, yet others here seem to have other opinions. When you towed with your van, did you also go up and down mountains or towed mostly on level ground? I so appreciate you taking the time to write. Thanks so much!!
Hi Pam... With the van we towed our 2,000lb coleman pop up up many grades out west, Vermount, etc but with the Airstream only hills in Ontario.

We now tow with a vehicle that has a 3.5V6 and the power as amazing even with the Airstream in tow. There are numberous accounts of V6 cars/vehicles towing Airstreams up mountain passes.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The discussion is about towing a late model 19' Airstream.

What does that have to do with diesel pickups? Ridiculously inappropriate.

doug k