Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
Towing 28' w. a Tundra HELP!!!

We just bought a new Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8. We are looking at a 28' Safari. What do we need to do to our Toyota to tow our 7300lbs AS? People are trying to sell me anything and everything. Your opinions and suggestions are of most value to me since my experience is zilch, zero, nill. Lia & Bob
Old 01-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Libo, there are a number of threads on Tundras as tow vehicles. Click on "Portal" and there's a current thread on it and there are other ones too—use the Search function, sometimes it actually finds something. Also check the subtopic on tow vehicles.

We tow a 25' with a Tundra. It works fine, but 25' is our personal limit. There are people who tow 27' and 28' and even more with a Tundra, but we thought it was pushing it because of the payload question. A lot of energy is spent in these threads about gross capacities and such, but little on payload. Payload is very tight with most 1/2 ton trucks.

Read on—it's all been rehashed many times.

Gene
Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Libo, I have little experience towing so far but thought I'd chip in with my 2 cents. From reading other Tundra towing threads you'll see there are two approaches to deciding on tow combos. Fundamental and sentimental. The first involves comparing tow vehicle available payload ratings with up to 15% of hitch weight of the loaded trailer. In your example I would imagine that it will be very close, maybe exceeded. Some like to be in the 80% of capacity comfort zone some don't, that's your choice. I'd suggest doing all the calculations just so you know where you are at. However the sentiment analysis will consist of reading others opinions and here you will find loads of owners you do just what you are considering. Then there are the special hitches to look at but I don't think one can wave the payload rules. As a newbie I'd personally make sure I'm in the 80% zone. As a side note I towed a rental enclosed 16 x 7' unit last week, it was probably around 7000 lbs with electric brakes but no weight distribution or sway control. I took it several 600Km on icy, windy -20 C highways and it did fine. The traction control lights came on every so often and it was heavier on gas but only the ice made it a less than great experience.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We have two people in our unit towing with a Tundra, one a 31', and the other a 34'. Really, but then........
Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

A Tundra pulling a 28' Airstream can work, I guess. Others pull more with less. It depends on your personal travel plans, How much cargo you intend to put in the truck, the hitch system that you will use, and your personal comfort zone.

If you stay right around Punta Gorda where there are no grades to speak of, just about any tow vehicle will work.

Loading up the truck bed with a bunch of tools, generators, and other heavy stuff will have a profound impact on your towing capacity.

You will definitely need a high quality weight distribution/sway control hitch system. Without this, a 28' Airstream will push any 1/2 ton truck anywhere the trailer wants it to go.

The last factor is how much white knuckle driving you are willing to endure. My personal pain threshold in this area is low. The Tundra looks very beefy, but it is a half ton truck. There are people out there who pull 28' Airstreams with 1/2 ton trucks. I'm not saying that it can't be done. It's just not within my personal comfort zone

Just remember that an uncomfortable towing experience is the chief cause of a perfectly good Airstream becoming a very expensive piece of yard art.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Lia & Bob;

I have to agree with Brian (Moosetags) . If you intend on staying in an area that is fairly flat and close to sea level then you may get by with the Tudra. I towed my 1971, 27' International Globe Trotter with a 1/2 ton Suburban. It was a good vehicle for that unit because it was only 6,250 GVW. My 28' Exella is a little heavier (8,250 GVW) and when I asked about a TV I was told it needed to be a 3/4 ton to handle the extra weight. Length wise it doesn't make that much difference 27' vs 28'. I also use a Reese Dual Cam hitch system. Hensley Hitches may be a little different. Friends of mine tow a 28' and they us a 3/4 F250 w/Hensley. I towed my father in law's 31' with a 1978 Mercury Station Wagon with a 400 cid engine. However if you are going to do any mountain driving forget the Tundra. I know people will tell you "Oh the Tundra is great in the mountains. Good gas mileage, etc." Be careful because a 28' unit is significantly heavier than one would think when it is being pulled at 60 MPH and in the mountains. You will definitely have some"White Knuckle Moments"

Bob and Lou
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI 10105
AIR # 28748

"Life is an adventure, live it to it's fullest."
Old 01-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Dillon , Montana
For what it's worth, I just returned to western Montana from Phoenix last Monday. I've got a 5.7 Tundra double cab and was pulling a 26' Overlander. Typical conditions for this time of year--a little snow and ice, lots of wind and lots of hills. The Tundra was great. Round bar hitch. No sway control installed, and I didn't need it. No white knuckles the entire trip. Plenty of power--generally cruised between 60 and 65. Brakes are so good that I could turn the trailer brakes down whenever I felt it was necessary and still have plenty of stopping power.

However...

Your trailer is a lot heavier than mine and presents a much larger profile to the wind. My trailer was winterized and lightly loaded (the hitch ball only came down 1" when the trailer was connected without the spring bars) and yours weighs a lot more than that. After this trip, I'm very satisfied with my combination but my impression is that I would want a heavier truck to step up to a heavier trailer with a larger body style.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I agree with Moosetags, entirely. IF I was in that position, had that TT and a Tundra, I would stick to flat areas, as much as possible, and purchase a Hensley hitch. It's expensive but I would not feel compfortable without it. I would bite the bullit and use only a Hensley. Our TT of choice was a 25' and had absolutely no interest in going larger. Good luck with your decision and future towing experiences. You found the Forums, don't be a stranger - there's always an answer to any questions you come up with. Great place to learn.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
From what I have read and heard from customers the Tundra is a very capable tow vehicle. Of course, from my customers, they were upgrading to a premium hitch so that may be telling for the control issues of a 1/2 ton suspension. I think at the very minimum you'd want to replace the P rated tires.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Tundra

I moved from a 8.1 3/4 Suburban to the 5.7 Tundra, no regrets, look at what I tow.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
A few have mentioned the Hensley Arrow..........I can personally attest that they can take a scary pulling combo and turn it into a Sunday cruise. Yes they are expensive, but I think they are worth their weight in gold as far as towing safely goes. I would seriously research it if you are going to pull with the Toyota.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lia & Bob,

As I look at the first post again, I still don't understand whether you have, almost have, or are thinking of having a 28' Safari. If you bought one, that part is over. Then you have to buy a hitch and a lot of people swear by the very expensive Hensley. I use an Equalizer with a 25' and I have had no problems. Hensley's are often recommended for longer trailers, especially those 30' and longer. From what I read some people have difficulty hitching truck to trailer with Hensley's but otherwise it almost seems like there's a Hensley Cult. That doesn't have to be a bad thing. Maybe it's just Big Love.

You say you are getting lots of conflicting suggestions for purchases. It sounds like you have been to a couple of dealers and they are lying to you, or you sense they may be. Many here at the Forum will tell you salesmen will tell you anything to sell the most expensive trailer they can (or a 28' Safari that has been sitting on the lot for a year). We had that experience and we left a dealer where the BS was too much to tolerate. Unfortunately, that only left us with one other dealership in the state.

So, Floridians, what dealer can Lia and Bob trust?

Gene
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Tri View Post
A few have mentioned the Hensley Arrow..........I can personally attest that they can take a scary pulling combo and turn it into a Sunday cruise. Yes they are expensive, but I think they are worth their weight in gold as far as towing safely goes. I would seriously research it if you are going to pull with the Toyota.

I will have to agree. I have never had a single anxious towing moment with the Hensley. Yes. it costs a bunch, but so did my Airstream and two Suburbans. The Hensley Hitch System costs about the same as a disc brake conversion on an Airstream. From a safety standpoint, if I had to choose between the two, I would take the Hensley without hesitation.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
The Florida Airstream Dealer that I would Highly recommend is Sanders Airstream in Alachua. It's not very close to Punta Gorda, but probably worth the trip. They have been in business in the Gainesville area for 40 years. The owners of the dealership actually work there; three generations of the Sanders family.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #15
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
While still more expensive than a conventional hitch, the pivot point projection hitches are nowhere near $3,000 anymore. You can get one for $1000 less than that now. Competition and innovation in a market will always lower the price.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 01-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I tow a 28 nationwide with a 2008 f150. Currently on the road and in Astoria Oregon on the tail end of 6k mile run. Feel free to read past postings, most explaining to the forum how any more truck in my opinion would be doing damage to the a/s. I have put over 20 k on the a/s in just over year and half, the truck gives and absorbs the bumps unlike any vehicle. The 28 is a special size, almost the same weight as a 25 and tows fits in lots of places. Stay away from a 3/4 ton, get a good dealer to set you up as others have been saying. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
**** , California
We just bought a new Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8. We are looking at a 28' Safari. What do we need to do to our Toyota to tow our 7300lbs AS? People are trying to sell me anything and everything. Your opinions and suggestions are of most value to me since my experience is zilch, zero, nill. Lia & Bob

Bob... the short and bad news is... your overloading the PU... suggest you go look at a US made 3/4 t pu for a trailer that size. We have seen one jacknifed.. and it was not a pretty sight. I am sure someone got killed. You need a vehicle that is approved for the weights of the trailer you wanting to pull. Some places are now talking about issueing tickets if the vehicle is not rated for the pull load + load wt. It used to be that the owner determined what was safe and not... well today that doesn't work as the owners believe what the dealers tell them.. yet the specs from the manufacture rating says something else. Remember the dealers are their to make money in selling you a vheicle... what you use it for after that is let the buyer be ware kinda thing.

As we heard in a seminar on towing... a mouse could pull a airstream on a bike if it was geared right.. but would it be safe on the road??...
Old 01-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
FWIW, I felt at the limit with a Nissan Titan pulling a 25 Classic. There was no leeway concerning GVW. 28' is going to be a handfull at times behind a Tundra. Think carefully before you make the trailer purchase.
WBCCI 2623
Old 01-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
I tow a 28 nationwide with a 2008 f150. Currently on the road and in Astoria Oregon on the tail end of 6k mile run. Feel free to read past postings, most explaining to the forum how any more truck in my opinion would be doing damage to the a/s. I have put over 20 k on the a/s in just over year and half, the truck gives and absorbs the bumps unlike any vehicle. The 28 is a special size, almost the same weight as a 25 and tows fits in lots of places. Stay away from a 3/4 ton, get a good dealer to set you up as others have been saying. Good luck.
Listen to this Man. He knows what he's talking about.

If I read one more post suggesting a Tundra isn't up to the job of pulling a 28 foot A/S, I think I'm going to scream.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Old 01-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield View Post
listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about.

If i read one more post suggesting a tundra isn't up to the job of pulling a 28 foot a/s, i think i'm going to scream.
lol