Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #43
Eharv

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libo View Post
We just bought a new Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8. We are looking at a 28' Safari. What do we need to do to our Toyota to tow our 7300lbs AS? People are trying to sell me anything and everything. Your opinions and suggestions are of most value to me since my experience is zilch, zero, nill. Lia & Bob
Welcome Lia & Bob---As you can tell from the responses---there are different opinions---I'll throw mine in since I began completely new with zero experience over two years ago. I have a friend who pulls a 28' Safari slide-out with a new Tundra and a Hensley---seems to work fine; however, he does not travel in mountains. Bottom line---since you have already purchased the Tundra--you will need to expend $2,300-$2,900 for a new Hensley hitch to be safe and secure with your 28' or try and trade the Tundra for a 3/4 ton and purchase a cheaper hitch. I'd not recommend getting a smaller AS---the 28' is a great size in my mind and a 25' is not going to save you much weight. Let us know what you decide and how things go. Again, Welcome!

Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
**** , California
ops

someone said that this brand new trailer was being pulled by a small truck. check out the pictuers of the damage that occured during jacknife and rollover. Sad to see a new trailer in such bad shape... almost is a crime.
2008 AIRSTREAM 23FB SE SAFARI 26FT RVs Campers Motorhomes Sales - Rentals | Repairable RVs & Wrecks Wrecked Campers Rebuidable Cars Damaged Trucks Insurance Salvage Motorhomes Rebuilt Autos visoneautomart.com RV Service Repair | visonerv.com

Old 01-22-2009, 05:54 AM   #45
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Based on the trailer and the damage, this very well could be the trailer that was totaled in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...put-46105.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAs View Post
someone said that this brand new trailer was being pulled by a small truck. check out the pictuers of the damage that occured during jacknife and rollover. Sad to see a new trailer in such bad shape... almost is a crime.
2008 AIRSTREAM 23FB SE SAFARI 26FT RVs Campers Motorhomes Sales - Rentals | Repairable RVs & Wrecks Wrecked Campers Rebuidable Cars Damaged Trucks Insurance Salvage Motorhomes Rebuilt Autos visoneautomart.com RV Service Repair | visonerv.com

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 01-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
GMAs, which "toy" were you using? First generation Tundra is a much different and lighter truck. I had one and it was a good truck, but I wouldn't pull a 25' with it. The T-100 was even smaller, though larger than the older Tacomas. Perhaps a Tacoma—newer ones seem to be the same size as the first gen Tundra, the older ones smaller than that. Also an excellent truck, but I wouldn't pull a 20' with the old Tacomas. Maybe a 4Runner, but that is a Tacoma with an SUV body.

Your experience sounds awful. Maybe you were speeding all the time, going too fast on bad roads. The driver has something to do with it too.

I have had no problems and have in 9,500 miles taken this combination over 11,000 foot passes a lot of times. If I want to use tons of gas, I can go up those passes at 65 or better and the engine shows no strain and the transmission and engine temps stay normal. That's with a 4.30 rear gear ratio. It stops very quickly. There is no sway and it follows me through winding roads flawlessly when I'm in a hurry or not. I use an Equalizer, not a Hensley. The problem with 1/2 ton trucks, as Bill Tex says, is payload and that's why I wouldn't tow a 27' or a 28' with a Tundra. Bill and I disagree on other things, but we do agree that payload is the stopper—the question is where you stop—25, 27, 28?

Gene
Old 01-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libo View Post
We just bought a new Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8. We are looking at a 28' Safari. What do we need to do to our Toyota to tow our 7300lbs AS? People are trying to sell me anything and everything. Your opinions and suggestions are of most value to me since my experience is zilch, zero, nill. Lia & Bob
First of all - welcome!

We have a 2008 28' Safari SE. We bought it last spring and towed it for our first season with a Ford F-150 Triton V-8 (a 1/2 ton pick-up similar to the Tundra). It did OK - that's all - just OK. The numbers on the charts indicated that it would work but it was a little different in reality

If we were in a state like Florida, Oklahoma, Kansas etc and did all of our camping there, it would have done much better. But - we live in the Rockies and if a truck could ever be panting and out of breath at the top of a hill then our truck did that at some point on every trip we took.

We just bought a new F-250 diesel and WOW what a difference!!! We took the trailer out a couple of weeks ago and we couldn't believe how much easier it towed.

As for a hitch - there are some good ones out there. Everyone here has their favorites. We particularly like the Reese Dual Cam. In our opinion it's a great hitch for the price.

If you plan to keep the truck and still buy a 28' then you'll need to exercise some extra caution when towing.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 01-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
**** , California
I have had no problems and have in 9,500 miles taken this combination over 11,000 foot passes a lot of times. If I want to use tons of gas, I can go up those passes at 65 or better and the engine shows no strain and the transmission and engine temps stay normal. That's with a 4.30 rear gear ratio. It stops very quickly. There is no sway and it follows me through winding roads flawlessly when I'm in a hurry or not. I use an Equalizer, not a Hensley. The problem with 1/2 ton trucks, as Bill Tex says, is payload and that's why I wouldn't tow a 27' or a 28' with a Tundra.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope we kept the speed down to about 55-60... and talk about wheezing like the little engine that could... wow... it was a real bottom wrencher when it came to hills...

My side bar say what trailer I had/have... and as the last issue... no matter what gears you put in it... yes its what allows the mouse to pull... your giving up something... high numbers on the gears.. means higher RPM at speed. lower gas mileage and shorter engine life. Did I mention shorter engine life...

But the engine and power train is one issue, stopping it with the tires and brakes... second... and the amount of steel to keep it all togeather is the third.

Again I will state that I won't pull anything with a toy truck... after getting the F250. Why take a step backwards for the sake of a few bux. grin...

Their are a lot of stresses going on when your toodling down the road ... that hitch is transfering some loading that the truck was not designed for... the twisting and flexing the toy does is eventually going to break something as it will only do it for a while then the metal fatuges and now you have parts instead of a truck.

No I don't think the pictures that I posted at that web site is the same trailer... same in size and model but from what I found may be different. I was told that it was coming back down the grade on Hwy 50 from S. lake tahoe... to carson city... when the little trucks brakes gave out... from overheating.. so did the trailers... and it became a run-a-way... on one of the curves it became history when it pushed the little truck sideways...as they tried to gain control again... did a 180 slaming it up against the rock outcropping...pitching the TV. saddly from what I was told... both elderly retired people died from the accident. It seems that the trailer was bought brand new and was on its way to their home north of Reno.. stead. The company that bought it and has the pictures ... got it from a insurance auction. They also have others (AS) posted for sale to those that think they can get one cheep and fix it back up. This one didn't look like the frame is bent... and only the left side seems to have a lot of damage at the rear and side where it scuffed the wall... As you can see the insides are pretty much intact.. where the other listed on the web here said the interior and all came apart... this one doesn't show that. The one sheet I read said that the HP's findings were that the tow vehicle was not sufficent to control the trailer under power.

bottom line... don't go by what the dealer says... they just are their for the money... research and asking... those that have and had... as well as information from the manufacture of the TV makes the person decision a smart one... after all you have no one to blame but yourself when it fails. You really want a TV that can tow the load you have plus half as much again... was the golden rule that I heard.

Travel on fellow AS'rs
Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
GMAs, you didn't answer the question what truck you had that "wheezed" and fell apart. Maybe it was a 1980's Toyota pickup "mouse" with a 4 cylinder engine? Or an early '90's Tacoma with a 4 or even a V-6 when that engine had less than 200 HP. Since your Ford is a 1996, maybe those would be the Toyota you had. The second gen Tundra has 385 HP and 401 lbs of torque. No wheezing. It has a 6 speed transmission with 5th and 6th both being overdrive to save on gas. It is not a small truck as you claim but is a full sized, American designed pickup.

You could go to a Toyota dealer and see a Tundra and they'll even let you drive it. You'll experience a completely different truck than Toyota used to build. Last I heard they had $5,000 rebates so you could step up to a Tundra.

I'll agree with you not to believe salesmen and apparently you paid for not learning that before you walked into a dealership. Anyway, glad to hear you're happy with your present setup.

Gene
Old 01-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
It is not a small truck as you claim but is a full sized, American designed pickup.
Gene, I was right there with you until you posted that....I'm sorry but I cannot believe an American would design something that looks like that!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steve, an American designed the Edsel. His grandson may have designed the snub nose on the Tundra. I have trained myself not to look at it.

Gene
Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAs View Post
Again I will state that I won't pull anything with a toy truck... after getting the F250. Why take a step backwards for the sake of a few bux. grin...

Your trying to compare apples and oranges. Why? Of course a 3/4 diesel will pull the trailer easier than a 1/2 ton. I don't think anyone is saying it won't.

Your opinion is you won't tow with the Tundra, Fine. But to say it won't do the job is a little presumptions, when there are a lot of people towing with them and having no problems.

A lot of us don't want to bounce down the road in a 3/4 ton. and like the comfort of a 1/2 ton. We also use them for other things. My '08 Sequoia is are daily driver for toting the kids around. I can tell you, I wouldn't want to do it in a 3/4 ton.

Bottom line. A new Tundra or Sequoia will pull a 28' AS no problem. I now, I have done it. Safely, any speed I want, no sway, undercontrol, and stop on a dime. Well a bunch of dimes lined up

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 01-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #53
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Welcome Aboard!!!!

Libo...

Well girl it looks like your going to dance with the one that brung 'ya...

Keep us posted.... and don't forget the Photo's we love 'em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PWDCA National Speciality 2008 047.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	74390  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 01-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I DO find it amazing, or is it amusing, how these "will this truck pull my Airstream?" threads always get into some sort of discussion back and forth about the qualities and capabilities of everyone's tow vehicle.

I have even been publically chastised for having the gall to question the intentions of some on a paticular thread (and you know which one if you spend much time on here).

The fact is, different people have different needs in a tow vehicle....some use it only to tow, some tow more than others, some tow very little, some tow BIG trailer, some small. Some people just like some brands better than others. Or, do I dare say they might be a little biased?

I think we should all try to respect other's likes and dislikes, and try to merely state facts of tow capacities, and let it go at that. But then again, that's just my opinion.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #55
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
i do find it amazing, or is it amusing, how these "will this truck pull my airstream?" threads always get into some sort of discussion back and forth about the qualities and capabilities of everyone's tow vehicle.

I have even been publically chastised for having the gall to question the intentions of some on a paticular thread (and you know which one if you spend much time on here).

The fact is, different people have different needs in a tow vehicle....some use it only to tow, some tow more than others, some tow very little, some tow big trailer, some small. some people just like some brands better than others. or, do i dare say they might be a little biased?

I think we should all try to respect other's likes and dislikes, and try to merely state facts of tow capacities, and let it go at that. But then again, that's just my opinion.

Hear ... Here!
Tu ne cede malis
Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
GMAs: this is your opinion which is welcome here. But to keep bringing up the dead old people is pointless. We don't know what happened to make them crash and I have seen a 3/4 ton on in the ditch with a trailer.

You had an old tundra not the new one. And I don't think anyone has said it is the best TV out there.

To keep calling it a toy is rather childish.

steveh said it best. Everyone has different needs. You found a 3/4 ton to work for you. A lot of us find the 1/2 ton to work better for us. Bigger is not always better for all our needs.

Like I said earlier, I started this thread to get away from the personal dislikes like yours to get the facts on TV.
I encourage you to look at it. everyone should.http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...cle-46809.html

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Closed Thread