Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
 
Mountain View , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 236
The coding can be done by anybody having the software. Just like coding the lights to EU standard or other features. My coding was done by somebody from Europe - 5 minutes. BMW will tell you that it is complicated, time consuming process. It is not - they should complete installation of the hitch, electric harness and coding in 2.5 hours TOTAL. This is official BMW bulletin.
__________________

__________________
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
 
martinez , California
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 16
Thank you all for the great info! I will be calling Can am to chat about options and see what they have to day as well. Ill report back soon!
__________________

__________________
jackvosney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
 
txdxrider's Avatar
 
1976 31' Excella 500
Providence Village , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
The coding can be done by anybody having the software. Just like coding the lights to EU standard or other features. My coding was done by somebody from Europe - 5 minutes. BMW will tell you that it is complicated, time consuming process. It is not - they should complete installation of the hitch, electric harness and coding in 2.5 hours TOTAL. This is official BMW bulletin.

I understand your position, however I have seen many fried transmissions from not being reprogrammed... It's not complicated - plug into the system - could take 10 min, could take 10 hours - depends on dealer connection to BMW and updates needed for the vehicle....
__________________
Let's party with Pirates and Ninja's.....
txdxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
 
wavelength's Avatar
 
1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 51
Images: 1
Towing with BMW X5

The main problem with towing with the BMW is the wheel base, it's to short You will find serious control issues when being passed by a semi or in high winds. I towed a 1999 25 ft excella with a Toyota 4Runner and had major control issues. Traded it on a Toyota Tundra and all my issues were resolved
__________________
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
 
Mountain View , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 236
There is no other program to operate the vehicle when they are "reprogramming" the car for the hitch. If you have any other details (apart from what you can hear at dealership), I would be happy to hear.

No sure about other X5, but X5 35d 2011 has the transmission cooler which is operating regardless of the hitch. The newer model F15 35d is just rebadged 30d, so I do not know if it has the transmission cooler.
__________________
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
 
txdxrider's Avatar
 
1976 31' Excella 500
Providence Village , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 364
Bono, I worked for BMW for over 10 years, and I am quite knowledgeable on my this.... There are 7 computer modules in the BMW that handle different functions. Can you add a hitch/wiring harness and go- yes - however- the X5 needs to be programmed to recognize the hitch. Basically when the trailer is hooked up and the harness plugged in - the X5 will adjust the shifting and holding patterns of the transmission for towing (similar to the tow/haul mode on pick ups and other SUV's)...

Without the vehicle being programmed the shift patterns will be the same whether towing or not-placing undue wear and tear on the transmission.

As for the original poster.... While you may be fine running with your current set up/not reprogramming, he may not be.... I posted this out there for his benefit, so he can make the best educated decision for himself.
__________________
Let's party with Pirates and Ninja's.....
txdxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #21
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdxrider View Post
I understand your position, however I have seen many fried transmissions from not being reprogrammed... It's not complicated - plug into the system - could take 10 min, could take 10 hours - depends on dealer connection to BMW and updates needed for the vehicle....
I have installed the OE hitch and wiring kits and two BMW X models (but not an X5d). In both cases, the OE wiring module in the hitch kit pluged into an existing harness in the rear of the vehicle. It interfaced with the vehicle LCM (lighting control module) since BMW wiring is multiplexed, and is not a straight 12 v for lighting circuits. The module takes a signal from the LCM, and outputs power for the connecting harness to the trailer.

The only coding that was ever required was to enable the vehicle to recognize that the wiring module has been plugged in. On earlier X5 models it was 'plug and play' but later models, with more variety of options, became sufficiently complicated that the module often wasn't recognized by the vehicle, and so coding to tell the vehicle that it was now installed (just tick it off on the inventory list) was necessary. If the coding wasn't done, the lights didn't function properly.

Once the vehicle knows the trailer wiring module is installed, and a trailer is plugged in (automatically sensed), it can utilize the existing Trailer Stability Control (TSC) routine in the vehicle Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), it turns off the rear park distance sensors to prevent continual beeping when in reverse, and it can change the rear camera settings on some models. That is pretty much it. It didn't change the transmission shift settings, or anything else.

Now, the X5D under discussion may be different than all the other X5 models, but I checked the factory training documents for the E70 release, and they do not describe any transmission changes with a trailer wiring module. In fact, the E70 transmission got a new pressure setting to accommodate backing a heavy trailer up a hill, applicable to all models. Similarly, the workshop manuals don't note that the programming changes any settings AFAIK, but they are notoriously difficult to search, so there may be something in there.

If there is documentation on changes to transmission or suspension programming when towing I would like to see it, it would be interesting.

All X5 models have transmission coolers, etc. The hitch kit is simply a receiver hitch, and an interface module for the trailer wiring. Bracing by third parties to better accommodate WD equipment is optional, and is not acknowledged by BMW. That is it. And it tows beautifully, partly due to the good handling engineered into the vehicle.

Jeff
__________________
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
 
txdxrider's Avatar
 
1976 31' Excella 500
Providence Village , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I have installed the OE hitch and wiring kits and two BMW X models (but not an X5d). In both cases, the OE wiring module in the hitch kit pluged into an existing harness in the rear of the vehicle. It interfaced with the vehicle LCM (lighting control module) since BMW wiring is multiplexed, and is not a straight 12 v for lighting circuits. The module takes a signal from the LCM, and outputs power for the connecting harness to the trailer.

The only coding that was ever required was to enable the vehicle to recognize that the wiring module has been plugged in. On earlier X5 models it was 'plug and play' but later models, with more variety of options, became sufficiently complicated that the module often wasn't recognized by the vehicle, and so coding to tell the vehicle that it was now installed (just tick it off on the inventory list) was necessary. If the coding wasn't done, the lights didn't function properly.

Once the vehicle knows the trailer wiring module is installed, and a trailer is plugged in (automatically sensed), it can utilize the existing Trailer Stability Control (TSC) routine in the vehicle Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), it turns off the rear park distance sensors to prevent continual beeping when in reverse, and it can change the rear camera settings on some models. That is pretty much it. It didn't change the transmission shift settings, or anything else.

Now, the X5D under discussion may be different than all the other X5 models, but I checked the factory training documents for the E70 release, and they do not describe any transmission changes with a trailer wiring module. In fact, the E70 transmission got a new pressure setting to accommodate backing a heavy trailer up a hill, applicable to all models. Similarly, the workshop manuals don't note that the programming changes any settings AFAIK, but they are notoriously difficult to search, so there may be something in there.

If there is documentation on changes to transmission or suspension programming when towing I would like to see it, it would be interesting.

All X5 models have transmission coolers, etc. The hitch kit is simply a receiver hitch, and an interface module for the trailer wiring. Bracing by third parties to better accommodate WD equipment is optional, and is not acknowledged by BMW. That is it. And it tows beautifully, partly due to the good handling engineered into the vehicle.

Jeff

Jeff, you are correct in the DSC, and option changes, as well as the older (E70) plug-n-play status. In addition the vehicle applies more rear brakes when the trailer is attached versus the standard bias.

Unfortunately I retired from BMW 6 mo's ago and no longer have access to the programming specs.
__________________
Let's party with Pirates and Ninja's.....
txdxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Road Ruler's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,364
Images: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
The main problem with towing with the BMW is the wheel base, it's to short You will find serious control issues when being passed by a semi or in high winds. I towed a 1999 25 ft excella with a Toyota 4Runner and had major control issues. Traded it on a Toyota Tundra and all my issues were resolved
It is absurd to compare one of the poorest rated TV's a Toy 4 Runner to one of the top rated TV's an X5.
__________________
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:35 PM   #24
gpt
4 Rivet Member
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
It is absurd to compare one of the poorest rated TV's a Toy 4 Runner to one of the top rated TV's an X5.

i think all the poster was stating was that the wheel base could be an issue, shorter is not always a great idea no matter the badging on the TV.
__________________
gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2012 19' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 39
Since my earlier real world posts are already referenced above, I'll only reiterate here that the 2015 25RB tows wonderfully behind the 2012 X5d. Great combo. Solid as can be thanks to both hitch reinforcement at Can-Am and a WD hitch that nicely accommodates the 7000 loaded AS with 800 pounds on the ball.

PM me if you've any questions. Happy to discuss in detail.

Rod
__________________
StillRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
 
Mountain View , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 236
Regardless of what kind of changes are applied to the car by coding, here is the manual for E70 including instruction re coding. Again, coding can be done by any independent coder. There is nothing magical about this, apart from changing a couple of selections. There is no new engine / transmission program downloaded from BMW servers in relation to hitch coding. This was discussed a few times over BMW forums.

https://www.bavauto.com/Assets/inst_pages/ins370.pdf


Quote:
Originally Posted by txdxrider View Post
Jeff, you are correct in the DSC, and option changes, as well as the older (E70) plug-n-play status. In addition the vehicle applies more rear brakes when the trailer is attached versus the standard bias.

Unfortunately I retired from BMW 6 mo's ago and no longer have access to the programming specs.
__________________
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 27' FB Classic
Cassopolis , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 29
I learned the hard way towing with a BMW X5 that a trifle too much weight over the rating can bend the undercarriage where the hitch attaches. Unlike American engineers, Germans seem to design pretty close to the rating.

I suggest you find a better tow vehicle, preferably Ford, GM or Ram.
__________________
biyak269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
 
Mountain View , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 236
Interesting, please could you elaborate? What was the weight of the trailer, tongue weight? Did you use weight distribution system? Do you have any photos of the bent?

It appears that there are a couple of X5 owners towing up to 8000 lbs, 1000 lbs tongue weight.
__________________

__________________
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW x-5 2012 towing mirror jim huebner Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 8 07-22-2012 05:44 PM
Anyone towing 5,000 lbs with a V8 BMW X5? adwriter73 Tow Vehicles 20 06-17-2010 02:14 AM
Interesting article Re BMW X5 & Towing Road Ruler Tow Vehicles 10 03-15-2009 10:47 AM
Bmw Towing Capacity Please Help ACHALAT Tow Vehicles 4 02-03-2006 07:42 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.