Old 03-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvarez
I am confused about the Honda Odyssey being such a great tow vehicle. I have one and was told that they are built as passenger vehicles, not tow vehicles. In order to put a tow hitch on it, you have to add a complete tow package or some warranties will not no longer be in effect. I was steered away from towing with the odyssey by my dealer.
Hard to say what a great tow vehicle is (just browse the huge range of opinions here!) but, I do think it is pretty easy to determine the capabilites of the tow vehicle that someone is interested in using to pull an Airstream. I also think we too often dismiss tow vehicles before doing the math.

All vehicle choices come with tradeoffs, so there are many passenger vehicles that can tow. Vehicle and trailer manufactures provide weight, towing and payload specifications to determine how much can be towed. Based on the specs, the Pilot looks quite capable of towing a Bambi. This could be attractive for someone who likes their Pilot, does not want a truck, or maybe uses it everyday for other stuff. It is still a matter of opinon if that makes it a great tow vehicle.

I would not draw any conclusion about the Pilot's (or Odessey's) intended design based on the Honda tow package requirement. This is typical. Even 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks have higher tow ratings when equipped with optional tow packages. I would not place much weight on dealer sales rep's towing recommendations beyond just another opinion - the OEM specs are readily available.

Airstreams' light weight, aerodynamics, and low center of gravity allow it to be matched up with a far wider range of tow vehicles than other travel trailers. A bit of math and some googling offers up really interesting Airstream tow rig options.

Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward
Airstreams' light weight, aerodynamics, and low center of gravity are designed for a far wider range of tow vehicles than other travel trailers. A bit of math and some googling offers up really interesting Airstream tow rig options.
This is certainly a key statement. All to often we see limiting blanket statements when determining towing prowess of any vehicle. The whole combination/setup needs to be taken into consideration when making accurate evaluations.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
This is certainly a key statement. All to often we see limiting blanket statements when determining towing prowess of any vehicle. The whole combination/setup needs to be taken into consideration when making accurate evaluations.
Agree X2
Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #32
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
You mention in one of your posts that you go on weekend trips to dog shows. Is this more or less under a couple of hundred miles or so? If so, it isn't worth the investment in a tow vehicle just to tow with. Just count on going slow.

We have an 04 Pilot. Empty of weight it might get 23 mpg at 70-75mph. When we load it up with our videography equipment, maybe 600-700 lbs it works really hard to stay in the 65-70 mph range. Mileage drops to the mid teens............

Yes, you could pull a small A/S with the pilot. Would you get there? Yes.....Would it be safe going down a long grade with a curve? NO.....Would it be fine on "flat" roads? Mariginal...........Would it make it up a LONG grade? Yes, at a slow speed working it's gut's out.................Good luck and God Bless...........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
2006 16' Safari
Minden , Nevada
I owned a 2005 Pilot at one time, intending to tow our 16' Bambi also. In reading the owners manual it states that a weight distributing hitch is not recommended. I think it has to do with the fact that it is a unibody construction. I sold our Pilot and bought a 2007 Yukon Denali. Plenty of towing capacity with this vehicle.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Libertyville , Illinois
I like the 80% rule I have seen mentioned elsewhere in this forum. Meaning your trailer should not exceed 80% of your tow vehicle's rated capacity. A 3,500 lbs tow capacity indicates a loaded trailer weight of 2,800 lbs. IMHO, if you had seen the tow vehicle/trailer wreck I saw scattered at the bottom of a long sweeping I-75 hill on my way to Florida, you would likely consider a different combination.