Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2002, 10:03 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Diana, I wouldn't

Think safety! The pulling 5000 pounds with a 3.6L engine sounds like a white knuckle experience to me, I would not want to have. The fact that you are going up a steep 5 mile stretch is of concern to me, also. I would get the trailer weighed, to see what it's REAL weight is and if that weight falls into the Gross Combination Vehicle Weight ratings of the Toyota.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:08 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
Thanks, Wayne!
I needed reassurance on the 4Runner!
The Globetrotter is essentially a new trailer. I bought and gutted it and had everything replaced from the flooring to the cabinets, electrical, appliances, even new toilet and window cranks.

The entire thing has been redone professionally (thanks Iowa Boys!) and I'll be picking it up this weekend. I'll post before and after pictures when I get a chance.
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:17 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

Hi Pick!

I found the Airstream site that lists a 1965 Globetrotter at 2980 lbs.
I know that there is a lot of controversy on this topic, I've seen other posts, but would like opinions from others that have towed with a Toyota V6.

Of course I would love to have a big honkin' Dodge Ram or big ol' Lincoln Navagator, but I really need a sensible mileage vehicle for the 345 days a year that I'm not towing a trailer.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:25 AM   #64
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The real #'s

D,

I believe that given the data you will be fine towing your load. (Asssuming you are doing it with an automatic trans)

However Pick has an often over looked point. Weigh your trailer. If it is empty when you weigh it add 8 pounds a gallon for water and waste. And then there is gear. Pillows and blankets don't add much weight. It's the pots and pans, generator, dishes, and other neccesities that will add up. -- And your rig was totally gutted and redone, so factory specs don't count in this game. And on elast point if your up to it. Weigh the trailer now and then weigh it in a year or so. You might find out your baby is alive and growing!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-04-2002, 10:27 AM   #65
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Diana,
please take pick's advice. Have the trailer weighed, with all the things inside that you plan on bringing.And the the truck. Don't forget water and propane. Then add the weight of the Toyota in travel ready condition, and see how close you are to the Toyota's Gross vehicle weight rating. This is the rating that includes the trailer and truck. It's actually as important a rating that the tow rating on the vehicle. We want you safe and comfortable pulling your airstream, not have it start out as a white knuckle experience, like pick put it. Think of the suddenly stopped traffic around LA, or the guy cutting you off, or the semi blasting past you trying to blow you off the road.
A little overkill on the tow vehicle side is better than just barely enough.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:00 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Di... Hitch???

Di...
One thing that you didn't mention was the hitch you are using to pull the A/S. With your single axle trailer you must have a weight distibution hitch with a built in or external sway control.
If not you can get lots of good info from the forum members here on the variety of brands and configurations.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:56 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

Rivet

Thanks for all the good advice, everyone!

To fill in a few details, I have towed trailers before, but the Airstream is the largest size so far. When I had it redone, it was with shaving some weight off in mind. I have an equalizer hitch for it too.

I think getting it weighed is a good idea and will do that. I've always been pretty anal about the weight I've towed in the past, even cutting back on firewood and some of the other things that make camping cozy. It's usually just me and the two dogs, so that helps out on the extras to pack also.

I know how those things grow over time! After I sold my 15' Sunline, I took all my stuff out of it. I couldn't believe how much I had added to it over time!
I'll be picking up the Globetrotter and bringing it to San Diego on Saturday. I'll let everyone know how it goes!!!
Old 12-02-2002, 01:10 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Craig:

I found your earlier response to a towing dilemma. I notice that we are pulling about the same sized trailers and using similar tow vehicles, though I have the 6.1 Vortec engine. However, I have been operating mostly in the Georgia-Alabama-Florida area and hills are rather small and rounded. I grew up out west and remember some great passes and divides; Raton Pass, New Mexico, being one of them. Do you think I would be under-powered with the 6.1 engine should I pull westward into the Rockies for an extended trip? Thank you for your opinion.

Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by davidz71
Dave,
The lure of owning an Airstream of any year and towing it behind what we use as a daily driver is overwhelming. I told myself that my '92 Chevy Z71 4X4 with 5.7 liter engine, 5 sp. manual and 3.42 rear end ratio would be up to the task when driving out to AZ. and bringing my 31' '77 Excella 500 back to TN. The trip out there was rough because my best friend could not go with me at the last minute. I left before 6 a.m. on a Thur. and made the 3,200 mile round trip by Sunday night at 10 p.m. I slept in the truck a couple hrs. at a time and had a 6 hr. layover in AZ. while purchasing a new replacement equalizer hitch because the other welded unit made the trailer sit too high. I finally got a chance to sleep 7 hrs. in the trailer on the way back somewhere in New Mexico. I just couldn't drive any farther. I averaged almost 20 mpg. out there and got 13 on the way back. This was where I found that the shortbed truck with LT265-75-16 tires was not up to the task of taking the hills of AZ. and NM. I found myself downshifting into 2nd gear and keeping the revs high to make it to the top of some of the hills. Every semi truck that went by sucked me in and them pushed me to the side. My knuckles were white and my eyes were glued to the rearview mirror when not looking out the windshield.

After purchasing my '01 2500HD ext. cab 4X4, I have none of the aforementioned problems and I arrive at my destination in good spirits without my muscles tensed up and hands tired. Not only will you have to decide if the vehicle you have is up to the task of towing without maintenance problems in the near future but you must also decide if you have the stopping capability should some fool pull out in front of you or a couch fall off a pickup in the middle of the interstate. Both have happened to me and I sure am glad that I was driving a vehicle best suited to the job. I sure would hate to loose both my vehicle and a newly purchased treasure I have wanted for a long time.
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:29 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Joe, I have a 454, and I love it. My previous truck was almost identical except it was 5.7 L and 3.73 gears. I have towed extesively in the hills of Pennsylvania, (just bumps in the road compared to out West!) and would not want to do it with a small block. Sure, your 6 litre will handle the trailer, but I would change to synthetic engine oil, and synthetic transmission fluid, to keep the transmission cooler.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:02 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Well, that is good advice which I appreciate. I seem to do things too spontaneously, rather than plan it out ahead of time. I first bought the trailer, only to determine that my fairly new 5.4L Expedition was too small. I traded an almost new Ford 150 for the 2003 GMC 2500HD, which handles like a dream in Georgia and environs. I didn't think I would be interested in towing the trailer very far from home, but now I have the bug to "go west" again. If I had thought this out, i would have bought the right truck first, and then found a trailer to fit it. On the other hand, if I had done it that way, I would have probably missed on the great trailer (and deal) we found. Go figure!

Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
Joe, I have a 454, and I love it. My previous truck was almost identical except it was 5.7 L and 3.73 gears. I have towed extesively in the hills of Pennsylvania, (just bumps in the road compared to out West!) and would not want to do it with a small block. Sure, your 6 litre will handle the trailer, but I would change to synthetic engine oil, and synthetic transmission fluid, to keep the transmission cooler.
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 10:52 AM   #71

I am towing with a 99 Dodge Dakota ext cab 4x4 318cubic inch 230 hp pickup ,the axle ratio is 410,the tires are 10.50X31x15 The truck has all the factory towing upgrades along with a k&n airfilter. I tow a 29 foot soverighn with this rig with no problems at all,I usually like to cruise between 60 and 65 mph, at these speeds I adverage 9 to 11 mpg. This rig has 80,000 miles on it and does just fine. My other truck is a 350 chev 4x4 ext cab it is a dog when it comes to towing but the milage unhooked is great it is a good stay at home truck. I have installed k&n airfilters on both trucks and really feel they added 20 hp to the vehicles.
sam raynovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 10:17 AM   #72
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Gears, gears, gears

Sam,

I bet the Chevy has nothing close to the 4:10 axle of the Dodge. And your mileage statement kind of bears that out.

About 25 years agos an instructor in an automotive class I took stated he was sure that a 4hp Briggs and Stratton could be enough power to pull anything given a trans with enough gears and a torque converter.

In the 60's GM had a 2 speed auto trans. Now look at the state of affairs in transmissions. 5 speed automatics. Lock up torque converters. Axle ratios from 2.9's in the early 80's to the high 3's and 4's.

Gears, gears, and more gears.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-31-2002, 06:59 AM   #73
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Action.. Re Gears, Gears, Gears

Yes you are so right, to date, but times are a changing.

Nissan just introduced to North America the Nissan Munaro.

It has a new CVT (continuosly variable transmission) that uses a belt instead of gears in the transmission. The computer automatically selects the optimum ratio for the current demand of the vehicle. The ratios are infinite. The result is an ultra smooth running vehicle with great towing potential and unbelievable gas mileage for a 250 HP
3.5 engine. Its wide stance and very short distance between the rear axle and hitch ball is an added bonus.

The site listed here explains.

http://www.nissan.ca/en/vehicles/mur...rformance.html
Old 12-31-2002, 09:39 AM   #74
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The times, they are a changing

Wayne,

Thanks for the link. I had heard of that transmission concept back in the 70's. And I thought Honda was playing with a CVT. Didn't know Nissan had a vehicle to the market. I could not find a towing capacity on that site, so I am wondering if towing is recommended. The strength of the belt and how much it does or does not stretch is critical for that kind of trans. And towing puts a big strain on it. So even if it's not ready to tow yet, it will happen.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-31-2002, 10:45 AM   #75
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Action..

I have looked at the Munaro in detail at the local dealer. Factory tow rating is 3,500 Lbs. The off road review I read on this vehicle was very impressive as far as its ability to climb on rough terrain under full throttle .
Apparently the transmission has been used and tested extensively overseas and proved to be durable and reliable. I doubt if Nissan would risk their rock solid reliability reputation on a lemon component. Time will tell whether it will withstand the stresses found in the towing arena. Hopefully an RV dealer will pick one of these up and use it as a demo vehicle. Would be interesting to see how it stands up and performs.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:06 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Wayne,
Not to be contrary, but the $46,000 price tag on the new Nissan SE would put a feller in a fairly fancy crewcab diesel Ford, Dodge, or GM. Looks like the tow cap. on the Munaro is #3500. The big pickups fit my big fat self better too. 'Course the extra registration and operating expenses DON'T fit my wallet too well.
Howard
Old 12-31-2002, 11:25 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Hello Howard;

The Munaro's start at 39,000 CDN

With your mighty US dollars you could buy 2 of these babies. One for towing and one for grocery getting.

Cheers
Old 12-31-2002, 11:38 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

Wayne,
I've got a bad problem with these mighty U.S. dollars-----"MIGHTY" few of them at my disposal. Best wishes to all in '02, Howard
Old 12-31-2002, 01:11 PM   #79
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Time - the the final test

W,

You are right Nissan would not risk a bad rep to be 1st in the market place with a product that they did not feel was up to the task. (Not that an auto marker hasn't been silly enough to do that before- names will not be named) At least not in this day and age of suits and potential bad press.

And if the concept proves that it is durable enough, it merits attention for saved fuel economy. No wasted power between shifts. Cause, ahhhhhh well there are no shifts!

However, because of my own personal bias and prejudice I am not a player unless the vehicle has a blue oval some where. And then only after it's been road tested for a year or 2. I am not partial to rapidly depreciating assets

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-17-2003, 06:50 PM   #80
1 Rivet Member

tow vehicles

I'm thinking about buying a 22 ft Safari. If I do-will I need to buy another vehicle or will I be able to use my 86 BroncoII. Brocco manual says I'll be within the weight limits even with automatic and 6 cylinders.
ddveaux is offline   Reply With Quote