Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Tow Vehicle to Trailer and Hitch Options

We can debate Tow Vehicle capacity and Trailer combinations as well as coming to some conclusions, yet be uncomfortable with our decision.

Had I known having a different brand of HITCH may have improved my Tundra's weight transfer when towing my 25 foot International... it could have been a money saver. A difference of $27,176, higher annual taxes and insurance may have been avoided.

Information is not forthcoming from Trailer Corporate Engineers, Trailer Retail Sales as to appropriate Hitch Options and which Tow Vehicles are capable of not only TOWING/PULLING, but also have adequate brakes and suspension. We are in agreement that many tow vehicles can TOW/PULL many lengths of trailers.

It should be the responsibility of each Trailer Manufacturer to report which tow vehicle options are safe and reliable for each Model of Trailer being offered to the public. The Trailer Industry provides little information regarding any specific tow vehicle’s capability and safety load margin, while connected to any of their products.

The general public NEEDS to understand the relationship of trailer, tow vehicle and hitch options BEFORE purchase. This information has not been available, nor offered except as a cursory vagueness from the Sales Staff. (Personal Experience)

Several Airstream Dealers, also participating on the Forum, have been stellar members of the community and to their customers. Others, not so. (Personal Experience)

The manufacturers of Hitches could offer more information and match up a vehicle with a specific trailer and tow vehicle. Their engineers understand these relationships.

For Example:

- 2014 25 foot Airstream International Rear Bed

- Tow Vehicle (year(s) and model(s) specific), minimum specifications for towing and with safety margin for this trailer, loaded and unloaded capacity.

- Hitch options and the benefits of these combinations.

- Tire options that would be specific to each individual trailer.

Are there any comments? Are there clarifications needed? Is this asking too much? What have your experiences been in the past?

My experience has been the Sales People will sell me, almost, any trailer on the lot. Leaving me to decide if my tow vehicle and the hitch provided is apporpriate.

The Trailer Manufacturers can do this. The Insurance Industry is… mute. The Automobile Industry seems to be… mute about the trailer towing aspect of their products.

Should there be a National Requirement that this information be provided by the Manufacturers of Trailers to make available and chart trailer models to various options of tow vehicles and hitches that meet MINIMUM Safety Needs?

Or… like we are currently, the customer makes the decision, takes the liability of making the best decision possible, with no knowledge or total understanding as to wether their current or future Tow Vehicle is adequate for a specific trailer?

What do you say? If no one has any interest, we are all left with a disadvantage.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The RVIA - Recreation Vehicle Industry Association covers Electrical, Plumbing, Heating and Fire Safety. The manufacturer uses the appliances and materials that the RVIA approves.

Why not go a bit further? Tow Vehicles and Hitch applications. Tires that may or may not be appropriate. The Trailer Industry has their representative. Why not the consumer?

Consumer Reports also seems to stay clear of this conversation... I am, obviously, having with myself. No doubt a subject that needs to be discussed.

This will be my last Thread and Post on the Airforums.

We should be tired of discussing plugged Black Water tanks, noisy fan complaints and running the Refrigerator, while traveling discussions. I am. I felt this was important. Probably, only to me personally. Makes me out of touch. I can understand.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
I think it’s a little ridiculous to expect trailer manufacturers to test every combination of every viable tow vehicle with every model of camper.

And even within specific tow vehicles there is wide variation in tow capability between trim levels and option packages.

No, it’s up to the buyer to research their tow vehicle’s capacities and understand how to use a WD hitch, and to know where their trailer falls within the capacities.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have to agree with post #3. I can't imagine requiring an RV manufacturer to test each and every tv/hitch combination for a given rig. Probably a wasted effort anyway because so many owners never bother to dial in their rig anyway.

What I would like to see is more accurate weight numbers for new trailers. Tongue weight figures based on an almost empty trailer aren't helpful.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
OK... one last post. Regarding the subject at hand... YOU may find this an impossible task. This is a matter of some minor research for a corporation. But... they do not want to take the liability. But, for those who even considered to read this Thread... your reward.

Subject: Men Are Just Happier People!

What do you expect from such simple creatures? Your last name stays put. The garage is all yours. Wedding plans take care of themselves. Chocolate is just another snack. You can never be pregnant. You can wear a white T-shirt to a water park. You can wear NO shirt to a water park.

Car mechanics tell you the truth. The world is your urinal. You never have to drive to another gas station restroom because this one is just too icky. You don't have to stop and think of which way to turn a nut on a bolt. Wrinkles add character. Wedding dress - $5,000. Tux rental - $100. People never stare at your chest when you're talking to them. New shoes don't cut, blister, or mangle your feet. One mood all the time. Phone conversations are over in 30 seconds flat. You know stuff about tanks.

A five-day vacation requires only one suitcase. You can open all your own jars. You get extra credit for the slightest act of thoughtfulness. If someone forgets to invite you, he or she can still be your friend. Your underwear is $8.95 for a three-pack. Two pairs of shoes are more than enough. You almost never have strap problems in public. You are unable to see wrinkles in your clothes. Everything on your face stays its original color. The same hairstyle lasts for years, maybe decades. You only have to shave your face and neck.

You can play with toys all your life. One wallet and one pair of shoes — one color for all seasons. You can wear shorts no matter how your legs look. You can 'do' your nails with a pocket knife. You have freedom of choice concerning growing a mustache. You can do Christmas shopping for 25 relatives on December 24 in 25 minutes.

No wonder men are happier!

NICKNAMES
If Laura, Kate, and Sarah go out for lunch, they will call each other Laura, Kate and Sarah.
If Mike, Dave, and John go out, they will affectionately refer to each other as Fat Boy, Bubba, and Wildman.

EATING OUT
When the bill arrives, Mike, Dave, and John will each throw in $20, even though it’s only for $32.50. None of them will have anything smaller and none will actually admit they want change back.

When the girls get their bill, out come the pocket calculators.

MONEY
A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs.
A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.

BATHROOMS
A man has six items in his bathroom: toothbrush and toothpaste, shaving cream, razor, a bar of soap, and a towel.
The average number of items in the typical woman’s bathroom is 337. A man would not be able to identify more than 20 of these items.

ARGUMENTS
A woman has the last word in any argument.
Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

FUTURE
A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband.
A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.

MARRIAGE
A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn’t.
A man marries a woman expecting that she won’t change, but she does.

DRESSING UP
A woman will dress up to go shopping, water the plants, empty the trash, answer the phone, read a book, and get the mail.
A man will dress up for weddings and funerals.

NATURAL
Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

OFFSPRING
Ah, children. A woman knows all about her children. She knows about dentist appointments and romances, best friends, favorite foods, secret fears, and hopes and dreams.
A man is vaguely aware of some short people living in the house.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

LARRY MITCHELL
Old 01-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tow Vehicle to Trailer and Hitch Options

Oh so true, and I’ve got 47 years of married (to the same lady) life experience that bears this out.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote