Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
CHAPPAQUA , New York
Tow vehicle suggestions

I need a vehicle to pull approx 10,000 pounds. Im looking for a non truck. Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks
pgreenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
10000# is at or near the upper limit of almost all "non-trucks". The only suggestions that I would have would be a Suburban, Excursion, or full size Ford E-Series or Chevy/GMC van.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Good luck. The 2WD 2500 Suburban (GMT 900) has a max tow rating of 9,600#. You can get a 2WD Express Cargo van with the 6.6 diesel that's rated to 10,000 but I think that it's the cargo variety (no rear seats or windows) *edit* I'm wrong, you can get it in the passenger variety.

The question is, what, besides that 28' Flying Cloud do you need to pull?

Current Chevy offerings: http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...trailering.pdf

Current Ford (I'm pretty sure the E Series van is the only option, they don't have a 3/4 ton SUV): 2012 Ford E-Series Wagon Work Trucks | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
We think a full-sized van offers many advantages for towing. A one-ton (3500) passenger van has removeable seats, so it may be used in many configurations for camping with your gear in the cargo area, or putting in all the seats and hauling the entire family to Aunt Sally's 80th birthday.

Another advantage is the excellent value when compared to SUVs. Here's an example in your area:
2002 Chevy Express Passenger Van

Avoid the 15 passenger model, with excessive rear overhang. The 12 passenger is easily found, and has often been used as a gently used van pool vehicle, not as a tow vehicle.

What are you towing?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
CHAPPAQUA , New York
the trailer wieghs 7,700 pounds. I was estimating 10,000 with gear and a buffer
Old 05-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
CHAPPAQUA , New York
If I cant vent for a second--- I keep seeing this picture of a guy on a bicycle pulling and airstream and I need a big truck to pull mine
Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Go back and check your trailer weight again. Does it actually weigh 7,700. Airstream listed that as 7,300 maximum fully loaded.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Santa Fe , New Mexico
My wife has this thing where she hates trucks---lame, I know. I'm using an infinity qx56 with tow package. It has 9000lb rating and tows well. Plus, the rear view camera is a game changer when it comes to hitching up. It tows my 34ft foot excella.
Land Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Buick Enclave. Saw one pulling a 32' Airstream and apparantly doing a fine job. I followed him in the mountains in the Canyon country for a few days and it did well.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
These days in the 1/2 ton range, for comfort and file economy the sequoia rules. Yes I have one. But I get 12 -13mpg towing at 60mph can seat 8. Get 17 mpg just driving around. On the highway I can get 20 mpg+. It will tow 9800#. The 3/4 ton sub which they don't make with the big motor anymore gets(8.1 l) 12 mpg driving around and 9 -10 towing and only tows a little more. And is a hard ride. Also less interior room. And sear configuration isn't set up as nice. This is the 08 and up version of the sequoia. Good luck with the search.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
And I can also say this because my friend has a 3/4 ton with the 8.1 liter, tows a 28' safari. The sequoia has a better transmission, and a 4.10 rear end. We have gone many places together and I can stay with him on the hills no problem and going down, I can manually shift my 6 gears so I use my brakes about 1/2 of what he does with his 3 gears he has to choose from. I finally got him to admit it was nicer but he still wants that cargo room behind the rear seat. but the sequoia has the 60/40 rear split 3rd row that folds flat, so you can get the room you need. and still seat 7

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Just my experience

First rig (this time around) was a 1/2 ton GMC towing a '75 23' Airstream....great combination. Then sold the 23', and bought an '01, 25' widebody Airstream. Although the truck was rated to tow 9800 lbs, and the trailer significantly less, I was dissatisfied with the towing. Traded the 1/2 ton for a 3/4 ton Diesel, and have been happy ever since even after trading up twice, first to an '04 28', and now a '10 31'. It's a wonderful tow vehicle, but it may not be for everyone.

I guess the only moral of this story is you will probably end up dissatisfied with a marginal tow vehicle.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
First rig (this time around) was a 1/2 ton GMC towing a '75 23' Airstream....great combination. Then sold the 23', and bought an '01, 25' widebody Airstream. Although the truck was rated to tow 9800 lbs, and the trailer significantly less, I was dissatisfied with the towing. Traded the 1/2 ton for a 3/4 ton Diesel, and have been happy ever since even after trading up twice, first to an '04 28', and now a '10 31'. It's a wonderful tow vehicle, but it may not be for everyone.

I guess the only moral of this story is you will probably end up dissatisfied with a marginal tow vehicle.
There's a balance question here between a marginal tow vehicle and an oversized tow vehicle when you are not towing, that is, a daily driver especially for those who take extended trips away from home. Or for those who would have a truck only for towing the Airstream.

We're seeing some European-type smaller diesel SUV's, Jeep Grand Cherokee/Dodge Durango with high tow rating, and a new Ford Explorer with a V6 Ecoboost. All have good-handling independent suspension, trucks do not. These seem appropriate to the towing needs of most Airstreams, where diesel trucks seem more suited for large 5th wheel trailers. They also would serve well as the family sedan. However, needs vary among individual owners.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
There's a balance question here between a marginal tow vehicle and an oversized tow vehicle when you are not towing, that is, a daily driver especially for those who take extended trips away from home. Or for those who would have a truck only for towing the Airstream.

We're seeing some European-type smaller diesel SUV's, Jeep Grand Cherokee/Dodge Durango with high tow rating, and a new Ford Explorer with a V6 Ecoboost. All have good-handling independent suspension, trucks do not. These seem appropriate to the towing needs of most Airstreams, where diesel trucks seem more suited for large 5th wheel trailers. They also would serve well as the family sedan. However, needs vary among individual owners.

doug k
Yes, you are right, Doug. I would not recommend the crew cab 3/4 ton Diesel 4X4 for an everyday driver. I'm fortunate enough to have another vehicle for that, but we've put 50K miles towing on the sludge burner in a little over two years, and IMHO, a finer tow vehicle is not available. Of course, everyone must make their own choices.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I was looking at ford and chevy. Ford Explorer can only tow 5000 lb suburban and Tahoe seem to be redone this year with the 3/4 ton but all say they can tow 9600 lbs which is weird. the Chevy site is not set up well.. None of there engines have the HP or Torque that the Sequoia has. They don't give a specific tow rating buy it looks like the 3/4 will tow 9600. and the 1/2 ton 7400lbs and the Tahoe 7300. Thats not very impressive for a Suburban....

Oh god Nissans site is even worse if thats possible. who is designing these things. The Armada will tow 8200 lbs

Toyota is interesting, they don't show the Sequoia with the tow package anymore and have lowered there weights. The Tundra now will tow 9600 lbs was over 10,000 lbs and the Sequoia without the tow package will tow 7300 lbs. Mine is listed at 9800 lbs The land Cruiser is listed at 8200 lbs Toyota site is really messed up.
The Toyota with 381 hp and 401 lb ft out does every other engine. Not sure why they lowed all the tow ratings.

Fords web site is the easiest to navigate, by far..

This doesn't leave you with to many options. Get an older model chevy, ford, or toyota, when they could actually tow something.

Dumb soccer moms are ruining everything..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 05-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There are new towing standards (VOLUNTARY) based on performance at road speed and gradeability in procees of being utilized. It is quite confusing, even for us industry folks, but my understanding is Toyota has already implemented the process and Ford and GM are jockying for position on the release timing of new standards.

A lot of street rumors why....but what the truth is....remains arguable.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreenx View Post
the trailer wieghs 7,700 pounds. I was estimating 10,000 with gear and a buffer
Oh, well you'll be more than fine with the current 3/4 Suburban then. The best part is that it's got the payload capacity (2100lbs) to match so you won't worry (as much) about overloading it.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
And I can also say this because my friend has a 3/4 ton with the 8.1 liter, tows a 28' safari. The sequoia has a better transmission, and a 4.10 rear end. We have gone many places together and I can stay with him on the hills no problem and going down, I can manually shift my 6 gears so I use my brakes about 1/2 of what he does with his 3 gears he has to choose from. I finally got him to admit it was nicer but he still wants that cargo room behind the rear seat. but the sequoia has the 60/40 rear split 3rd row that folds flat, so you can get the room you need. and still seat 7
The new 3/4 has a 6 speed transmission that can be manually shifted and a tow/haul mode that does a pretty decent job of shifting for you. Isn't it great having all those extra gears?! Also, the rear bench on the suburban now folds forward against the 2nd row (or removes entirely if you'd rather).

I really do like the Sequoia but your comparison is a little apples to oranges. Heck, if the Sequoia had a higher payload capacity I might have gotten one instead of the Suburban. The rear leaf springs are something of a pain in the ass for a daily driver.